1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair redefines power supply efficiency at CeBIT

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Mar 18, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Corsair, known for making quite good RAM among other things, is apparently really getting serious about the power supply business. Most power supplies on the market today are anywhere between 50 and 85% efficient, with the vast majority of power supplies being between 75 and 85% efficient under load. Corsair had a brilliant power supply at their CeBIT booth, which had an impressive 90% load efficiency. This allowed it to power an AMD QuadFX system with G80 SLI, 4GB of PC2-8000 DDR2 RAM, and a 150GB hard drive with a 620W power supply (most people at the show expected an 850W-1kW PSU to be required). To be honest, Corsair has actually had this power supply on the market for a while, and probably couldn't wait for CeBIT to make it available. You can get this extremely efficient power supply here (oh look it's on sale).
    [​IMG]

Source: The Inquirer

2. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW quad core 8800gtx sli and 4gb ram on 620 watt psu thats crazy

3. WeStSiDePLaYa

WeStSiDePLaYa New Member

Thanks Received:
    too bad that psu has already be independently tested and shown that it has a max efficiency of 83%.

And im not suprised that this psu could run that. It does have 50amps on the 12v rails.

The question is how long could it run that load...

4. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

CRAP

my secret is revealed!

5. RickyG512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wait so u mean this is a fake

6. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Regardless of how efficient it REALLY is, the point is, it can power that system with relative ease :).

8. RickyG512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its all about the pc power and cooling which i cant find it on any store/retailer/website in england, if i could i would buy one right now

9. WeStSiDePLaYa

WeStSiDePLaYa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Buy, how do you know it did it with ease? I mean they most likely ran it stock, without vmods. Who in their right mind would do that!!?!?!

10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Looks like someone was reading my posts and took notice of how I wish we had PSUs that were more than 85% efficient. Ill probably wind up getting me one of these as well :)

11. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's probably ideal for those that want modular but I still prefer PC P&C Silencer. I think they changed the name for it now to include a quad or something.

12. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    I think intel was developing or developed capacitors or somethin that allow PSU's with greater then 90& efficiency(real efficiency)

13. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Either way I have come across many 3rd party examinations and comparisons of Corsair PSU's to other HIGH end psu's... And it is normally the corsair that comes out on top. Especially for being modular, they hold voltage better than some other larger more expensive psus from high end companies.

So maybe its not a 90% efficient psu, its still a darn nice unit, and I would recomend it to anyone looking for a psu in that price range.

14. WeStSiDePLaYa

WeStSiDePLaYa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too bad the only testing that shows its efficiency being that high is their OWN testing, lol, and i think more efficient psu's is a no brainer.

15. justdc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too bad efficiency is only affecting AC to DC conversion, and does not make 620W psu 1KW. If they made it work on 620W psu, then it was working out of specs (and is not 620W psu), or the system actually needed less than 620W.

16. WeStSiDePLaYa

WeStSiDePLaYa New Member

Thanks Received:

That is common knowledge.

The system wouldnt need 620w.

17. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    ppsst heres a hint for everyone.

Most systems don't need the PSU you're powering it with.

18. justdc New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is false, psu efficiency does not change what can it support, only the output wattage. If this psu would be 50% efficient everything would work fine too. I think newsman should correct this.

19. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't agree.

With 620W out at 90% that means 689W in and therefore 69W of heat in the PSU.

620W at 50% means 1240W in and 620W of heat in the PSU. I don't believe you can dissipate that kind of heat inside that kind of area while keeping the PSU below maximum operating temperature.

20. justdc New Member

Thanks Received:
    How does a 2000W psu with 80% efficiency does it then? Remember that maximum efficiency is achieved only in certain conditions i.e. temperature. Still most psus have operating range 0-50 C. It also means they can deal with lower efficiency than "rated".

Efficiency itself is not a requirement to power any kind of system, it's just a bonus on the power bill and some silence. Implying that efficiency is allowing psu to power some components is just false.