• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Unveils VS Series Entry Level Power Supplies for 220-240VAC Markets

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Oh i should mention that these are designed on the old system of having high amps on the 5V rail instead of the 12V rail :p

That's simply not true. The GPA/GPB series are meant to be a replacement/evolution for the PUFP/PUF series. The latter have proven to be a disaster, so they were rescinded by CWT, and GPA/B offered instead. There are still some PUF-based PSUs on the market, some of the lower-end Enermax NAXN and Chieftec Arena (ANP) series... Either way, it's a modern 12V-centric design, and not an old ATX 1.3 5V-heavy design.

80+ efficiency without 80+ certification? :)
A unit doesn't need the 80+ label to actually have >80% efficiency. This just means that Corsair doesn't want to pay $X for having the 80+ label on these budget PSUs.

It's not only that, Ecova Plugload Solutions (the certification company behind 80 Plus program) doesn't allow for 220V testing for 80+ compliance in consumer units. Only some server units are allowed to be tested at 220V, but they must also be capable of running at 110V. So even if Corsair wanted to pay for the 80+ badge, they wouldn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.