1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Vengeance Or Corsair Dominator

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Ellewah, May 29, 2012.

1. Ellewah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, so i'm planing on building a new gaming PC with these specs:
    MB: Asus Z77 Maximus V Formula ( to be released in few days )
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i7 3770K
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB Black
    SSD: Intel 520 Series 240 GB

And for the RAM I narrowed my choice to either one of these
    Corsair Dominator 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHz ( http://alturl.com/9bh9y )
    Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHz ( http://alturl.com/3zbz6 )

So if any expert could tell me which one would work better i'd appreciate it.
    Just so you know, I'm planing to overclock both the CPU and the RAM.

Thanks in advance!

2. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    I would take the Corsair Vengeance for that speed and price considering i would not want to OC it more, may be you can take the Corsair Dominator if you want more than 2133MHz out of the memories, but as for me I'd be more than fine with the Vengeance

Last edited: May 29, 2012
    Ellewah says thanks.
  3. Ellewah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply,

I have a question, is it better to have high or low RAM timing? and do I increase or decrease the timing when I OC them?

4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Get an 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 kit instead. 8GB or 16GB makes no difference in gaming, likewise with 1600, 1866, or 2133.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR...

You'll save $113. Then get an i5-3570K instead of the i7-3770K, that's $110 in savings for a total of $223. Then put those $223 for a better video card (you haven't mentioned this - this is more important for gaming) and/or a bigger SSD (that's not Intel; since they're still not exactly the best choice in price/perf among SSDs).

Ellewah says thanks.
  5. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I highly agree with Entropy13, Corsair memory is highly overpriced (not so much the vengence line). Go for a G.Skill kit, the perform exactly the same and for alot less. Been using G.Skill for a long time and have never had a issue, very reputable brand.

I'd pick something like G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DD... if you are 100% set on 16GB. Really 8GB is still more than enough for almost every user who games.

Use the saved money to buy a better graphics card, you will see much larger performance gains by spending the money there.

Ellewah says thanks.
  6. Ellewah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies,

I didn't mention the graphic card because I already own an EVGA GTX 590.

Now after doing some reading, would it be better if I get the Dominator and run it at 1600 with lower CAS?

7. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You'll get the $200+ Dominators, and then run it at 1600MHz and lower timings??? :confused:

The G.Skill 2x4GB (DDR3-1600 CL9) RAM I posted is more than enough. Put your savings instead to a bigger SSD and/or HDD.

Ellewah says thanks.
  8. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there any particular reason you are so keen on the Dominator series? its seriously overpriced >.<

Ellewah says thanks.
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Probably color...notice both sets are red. Perhaps the red $156 G.SKill C11 2133 1.5V kit will be a bit more appealling.

Corsair has some nice warranty, or they did at least. When I ran into issues with my last Corsair Dominator kits, they gave me a refund for the full retail value of the two kits...a wee bit over $500, beuase they didn't have similar in stock.

Ellewah says thanks.
  10. Ellewah New Member

Thanks Received:
    After reading your replies and reading about 2133 vs 1600 I decided that its not worth it.

Now as I said before I plan to OC my CPU, my question now will a 1600 RAM be okay with that? And what do you recommend a 16GB RAM for me?

Cheers!

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that'll be fine. Actually, 1600 MHz is supported by IvyBridge CPUs right out of the box.

You sohuld be able to find a 1600 MHz 16 GB kit for around $100 or so. Most memory makers are suing the same memory ICs, so it really doesn't matter what brand you buy. You'l notice that most brands ahve the exact same timings at teh same speeds...because they isn't much other options or leeway for tweaking things that there was with memory in the past. Currently, with the market the way it is, teh best idea is to buy what you want, and do not expect any overclocking of memory at all. They are soem kits that will clock decently well, of course, but not many.

You may want to consider the $99 G.skill F3-2400C10D-GTX, if looking for 8 GB. I shoudl have a review of them live on the front page here soon.

Ellewah says thanks.
  12. Ellewah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the quick reply,

I don't know if you can tell but i'm a fan of Corsair :)
    Now I ended up with this RAM ( http://alturl.com/v4awm ) I plan to buy two of them which gives me 16GB in total for the cost of $120

What do you think of this?

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Those are decent sticks...not the best(I do think the red ones are the "best" clocking kit, at least, tehy were at launch many moons ago), but 9-10-9-27 @ 1.5 V is pretty standard, adn the vengeance line is priced to compare with other brand optinos out there. THe domiators are much higher-priced, but have far more features, like the plug to use with the Airflow Pro and Corsair-LINK stuff that the H60/H80/H100 have, and hence them costing so much more(plus, Corsair really does expect you to clock Dominators a fair bit).

So compatibility reasons (ie, ram heatsink being to tall for some coolers), you may also want to consider the Low-Profile Vengeance kits, if you want Corsair.

Ellewah says thanks.
  14. Ellewah New Member

Thanks Received:
    What model do you exactly mean by the red ones?

For the Domiators features I don't really care about them really.

You know if you could tell me your best recommendation for a 16GB RAM ,either quad set or two dual set, with a 1866 frequency speed I'd so much appreciate it.

15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    The red ones are the same model as teh ones you linked, but have an "R" at the end, and red heatsinks. CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R i think.

My personal choice right now is G.SKill, but if you likew Corsair, nothing wrong with those, either. I suggest you choose a kit from this list:

http://www.intel.fr/content/dam/doc/datasheet/core-i7-memory-suppliers-1111-datasheet.pdf

I will never recommend buying two seperate 2-stick kits to make one 4-stick kit. No memory maker will either, so buy EXACTLY what you want, in one kit.

Ellewah says thanks.
  16. Ellewah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you so much cadaveca you have been very helpful, now I know what I want :)

cadaveca says thanks.