1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Voyager - totally dead?!? wth?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It arrived from OcUK on the 20th October ie less than 3 weeks ago, 16GB USB memory stick.
    [​IMG]

The last time I used it was I copied some ebooks directly from my dad's generic USB memory stick onto it using the work pc. It worked perfectly.

Now it's just not working.

I tried it first in the laptop, instead of the normal popup window asking me what to do (play music, view files, view pics etc) I got a strange symbol on the taskbar near the clock saying that it was 'loading drivers'. It never did that before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then when I went into 'My Computer' on laptop the drive was no longer called Corsair but just Drive E: and it had a big question mark next to it.

I tried it also on my desktop computer and it didn't work either.
    So I'm sure the trouble's with the drive.

I can't even format it!
    [​IMG]

I always took care of it, I mean I never dropped it, washed it, left it in the sun, left it near magnetic sources etc etc.

And anyway, after seeing W1zz's review of the 1GB version (he put it in a toaster, dishwasher, ran over it by car....) I thought the disk should be quite a tough one?

Does anyone have a clue please? (I feel lost without my usb :cry:)

Is it something I can correct myself (I've got a nagging feeling it's a virus......)?
    Edit: on other thoughts I don't think it's a virus - my dad's generic usb disk was functioning well, he opened it and showed me the e-book which was on his usb disk, we read parts of it... then I put in my Voyager in the other USB port, created a folder called ebooks, opened the folder, copied the ebook from dad's USB and pasted it on mine.
    But I can't even format it what can I do?

Or should I RMA? I would prefer not to RMA if I can correct the problem myself because I bought it from OcUK (ie overseas) and it's be kinda a hassle I presume...

Here are some pics of what I'm getting. I'll post the pics from the desktop first, and then connect laptop and post those from laptop (because I obviously can't use the stick to copy files now)

Trying to access --
    [​IMG]

Trying to format --
    [​IMG]

Trying virus scan --
    [​IMG]

Defragging --
    [​IMG]

Trying to use it in backup --
    [​IMG]

Device Manager - note no yellow '!' but funny name instead of corsair flash...
    [​IMG]

Right-click Properties -- very weird. Normally capacity shows as 15 point something GB... and it's supposed to be only 1/3 full...
    [​IMG]

Here are the laptop (vista) shots --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: I inserted it again and now it's not even showing up as a drive in 'my computer' under Vista. It still shows under XP though.

I can't do anything in disk management either. In the Vista pc the drive doesn't show up, and in the XP pc I get this:

[​IMG]

I tried to format using the command prompt, I can't remember the exact thing to type but I tried format e: and format -e and format -e:
    Still nothing.

Any advice please? Or is it a hopeless case and I should just try to RMA?

Duh I've never expected this from Corsair... I got other cheap generic usb flash drives they've been going strong for years!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Uhhh can I bump this up?

What do you think is it solveable or RMA?

(I hope OcUK won't be needing the blister packet it was in because I think I threw it away.... I still have got the receipt though...)
    :cry:

3. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'd rma it,if its still under warranty.It looks like its died.

Black Panther says thanks.
  4. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    How on earth could it have died? After merely a month of very careful usage? :(

Well, I'm still in time for RMA... it got a 10 year warranty...

I still can't believe it though, maybe we're missing something? :confused: I never even ever dropped this thing!

5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My mate Gabriel,had an 8gb one that went trough a wash cycle and survived.I guess its one of them things.I have found some of them dont like it if you dont safetly remove them.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah RMA it like tigger said.. I own the 1gig one and worked flawlessly but the cap is a pain after a while and it gets loose.

Mine has a lifetime warrenty with it think those 16GB ones do too.

7. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Tigger:
    Prior to removing it I always click the little icon next to the task-bar clock and select 'safely remove hardware'. Even though I know it isn't that important... my dad always pulls his usb flash's out without doing so but I never did and I never ever let my dad even touch my Voyager (because it's a family joke that my dad's a pc-killer so he can touch only his own pc's ) lol

AsRock:
    My cap's tight to remove so far. After only some month it can't get really loose obviously... Mine has a 10 year warranty with OcUK so I'm still safe so to speak. I'm just hoping that they won't be demanding something ridiculous like the plastic blister packaging (omg it was a pain to get the stick out of it!) which I threw away.

I made this thread after trying all the options I posted by way of screenshots above, just in case I missed out something, or could have done something which I missed.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to RMA something when it results that it could have been a minor glitch which I could have solved myself.

That's why I insist if there is some way that I could format this drive... please let me know.

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I understand you wre upset and wanting help fast, but as the rules state, you should wait 24 hours for a bump to a thread.

Not trying to be an ass here but you did ask!:toast:

On topic...RMA that little bugger!

9. rampage

Thanks Received:
    just rma it, even it could eb fixed, i would still rma it

10. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    To bad. I was really hoping that I had been missing something out... :ohwell:

11. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    idk what it is with memory but its the thing that seems to die most for me. Ive had alot of ram and flash drives die in my time..

12. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow poor luck. RMA is the only answer.

13. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    just rma it, it might've the ddo and mbr sectors on it might've gotten corrupted or what not and you probably need to use linux or a boot cd to attempt to fix it. however, as others have said, rma'ing is the easiest way.

14. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    So guys, you're sure it's dead?

I was reading OcUK's RMA terms:
    I did send a webnote to OcUK outlining the problem and even linking to some of the above screenshots so they see the inaccessibility of the drive.

I just received the reply -
    Uhh, they didn't give me an RMA number. :confused:

15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    nag them for an RMA number, and send it back. the drive has a decent warranty on it, and you certainly are unable to use it.

16. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
  17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Hello, this is from Corsair's FAQ at this site:http://www.corsair.com/faq/default.aspx#Q16

Q » My flash drive won’t format in Windows Explorer or using a format utility.
    A » If this happens on multiple machines, try to format your drive by opening the command prompt (Start/Run/type “CMD”) and typing "Format X: /FS:FAT32 /U" (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager). Please note that this will erase all data on the drive, so make sure that you select the correct drive. If this still doesn’t work, we’ll have to replace the device for you.

If you try this and it still don't work, then, rma it; they said they will have to replace it. Sounds like they know something.

This is interesting, maybe this moght work :http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=62742

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Modder and 95Viper:

I tried your suggestions... with the results as per screenshots below.

Dan:

I tried it on 4 pc's and laptop...
    What I still haven't done is putting it as an ingredient in a grilled cheese sandwich and place sandwich in middle of road to get it run over by a car...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw I just received the RMA number.

19. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    if ocuk is giving you a hard time, just screw them and go to corsair, all ocuk will do is take it from you and give it back to corsair anyway.

20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    ..You didn't stick it in an oven did you :p

21. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    i would try to
    1) use panasonic SD formatter,
    2) low level format it
    3) leave it on a speaker playing metal
    4) if none of the above work, RMA it woth corsair directly,

theres also the option of opening it, looking up the memory chip scematics and finding on which leg to apply current to clear the chips, but thats a bit excessive, especialy when under warranty,

22. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Lol no. Not yet... :D

OcUK is being great so far I think:

Lol quite a mouthful!

But anyway, tomorrow (now the post office will be closed), I'll be posting the parcel containing-

1) USB stick
    2) dongle
    3) USB extension
    4) Part of the packaging which shows the barcode (the rest I had thrown away)

I hope they won't refuse to RMA because I don't have the original plastic blister pack.... lol
    But I think they'd be reasonable, I mean this thing has 10 whole years warranty - if I had to RMA it on the 9th year probably I'd have lost the cap, torn the dongle, misplaced the USB extension (or forgotten that I had one shipped with it)....

95Viper: I didn't try your 2nd suggestion... apart from it being rather a hassle especially since currently I don't have a Win98 pc and would have to install it on kid's pc and then reinstall XP... I don't want to have a stick which periodically I have to format on a Win98 pc...

Aevum: Same goes for your suggestions I guess! :)

23. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    GL with your RMA ,Overclockers are very good when it comes to delivery etc but rather poor with RMA's

friend of mine had his 8 month old mainboard die ,so he rma'd back to ocuk ,and they refused to accept it as they said it had cpu compound in the cpu socket ,and on return to him there was a large dollop of god knows wat int he socket.

thing was i ,built his pc and removed the board and there was 100% NOTHING in the socket ,i always use MX2 and this stuff in the socket was most deff not MX2 ,so obviously they put something in themselves..

ive since made a mental note that if i RMA anything to ocuk ,to take a few photos of the item befor i send it back,then i can prove wat condition it was in if they are funny about it.

anyway ,hopefully things will go nice and smooth,after all ,isn't much they can do to sabotage a flashdrive hehe

24. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Took your advice.

Attached Files:

25. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Looks like new - I doubt you will have a problem with the RMA seeing as it's just a pendrive. It seems they have a problem with RMA that are worth big £££