1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Could my PSU be going out ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trickson, Nov 22, 2011.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    After years of great service this morning I went to power up my computer and nothing happened , Well not nothing . The CD rom's lit up ( But the lights would not go out) . The power light was on the fans and the water pump were all working but nothing else happened , The HDD light was not coming on though . It was strange , I have had this happen before when I used my tech water block . It took forever to get the thing to come back on line , powering it on and off , unplugging it over and over again but then it woke up like nothing happened booted right up .
    Then I was playing Fallout New Vegas and the system just turned off , Out of the blue it shut down . Powered it back up play the game for about 2 hours now and every thing seems to be just fine now .
    Is this an indicator that my PSU is going out or is this just a random happening ?
  2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Seems to me you got it bang on. Need some more tests though. But early indications like struggling to get it to power on, especially from cold starts are a giveaway.
    trickson says thanks.
  3. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that is what I thought . I have an extra PSU but till this one goes out for good I will just keep it in . PITA to change it out . ;)
  4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Well you have to test the PSU itself, if you want to be sure.

You can also use/get/buy a new/different PSU, but then that would mean buying/getting another in a "checking the PSU as the cause" sense. Not as a "I have to replace this PSU now" sense. :p

Although for all intents and purposes maybe that would be the case anyway, that you have to replace it.
    trickson says thanks.
  5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I have to test the PSU is a cheep PSU tester and that told me that every thing was fine . :shadedshu
  6. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Funny thing with psu's are that they can still work damn fine even though something exploded (happened to me, capacitor). It (if that's your case btw) might work fine but sometimes during heavy use like playing games etc, you might either experience horrid fps issues or shutdowns/restarts.

But till you test it with another psu, you won't be 100% sure bout this problem. Could, in theory, also be your motherboard. So even though it might seem like a pita, its the way to go! (testing with another psu unit)
    trickson says thanks.
  7. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I am going to install my other PSU and see . :respect:
  8. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Somehow i doubt it is your PSU. I mean, your rig is not really a challenge for a 850w corsair tx. Its not being stressed that much. So waht would be the couse of it going out? Oh, and as far as i know, these things (corsair tx) have a 5 year warranty, so send it back if you are not sure.
    trickson says thanks.
  9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but the thing is I have seen this before and some how it was related to the PSU on this system . I sure hope that it is any way . I have no cash to get a new mother board , CPU , Ram and whatever else I may need .