1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Could we get a new mobile TPU?

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by wickerman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    As smart phones have become so powerful and with great browsers supporting all the desktop standards I think the current mobile version of TPU is far to limiting. Beyond that, I think the most limiting thing is realized with tablets like the ipad, galaxy tab, or any of the other large screen tablets. I've included a screenshot below showing how the mobile TPU site looks on an ipad2 along with how the standard site looks when my browser is identifying itself as the desktop version of safari.

[​IMG]

Basically the desktop version on a tablet is 100% usable, you can still cycle through reviews, you can still load images into larger sizes, you can still do everything you do on a desktop. But the problem is forcing the browser to identify itself as a desktop browser negatively effects other sites who have an optimized version for tablets. TPU is one of a very small number of sites that force me into using a work around to be able to view the site as it should be seen. Most tablets run between 1024x768 and 1280x800 and utilize powerful graphics and dual core ARM processors so they are entirely capable of running the desktop version. Even modern smartphones fall into those hardware specs and are just as capable.

Some sites will actually prompt you if you want to view the desktop version or the mobile version when you load them to avoid this, and I think TPU should do the same. Or perhaps allow some switch in your account that would let you to set your preference for mobile devices.

Would this be something TPU could come to offer? Is this something anyone else here would like to see offered?

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    umm.. i guess TPU has offered us the standard and the lightweight version
    if your browser capable to bring the desktop version just take the standard view
    but if your browser is basic things just take the light version, light version made for anyone who wanna visit TPU but they have limited bandwidth or their browser cannot handle the standard version
    and so far both looks pretty kinda enough for us

3. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    Well thats why I think a choice should be given. If it detects you are on a mobile device it could ask if you would like to use the lightweight version or go to the full desktop version. That way anyone on slower device, or with limited bandwidth goes to the mobile version and anyone with faster devices or with less limited bandwidth can use the full desktop version.

As it stands if you go to techpowerup.com on any device, you're locked into the mobile version. If you remove the mobile tag from the address bar it just reloads the mobile site.

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    tapatalk would be nice ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is a link at the bottom to disable the mobile detection

6. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Just use Dolphin HD...best browser for smart phones imo
    for apple
    and you can easily find it on the droid market

EDIT:lol I think I may have already disabled mobile web in dolphin or here at TPU...not sure but mah wifes phone went straight to the mobile TPU with Dolphin

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you go to /mobile manually it will reset the "do not show me mobile" cookie

jmcslob says thanks.