1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Coworkers

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Steevo, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I made a employee almost cry, she was having a hard time with a customer that is being demanding, and I have now heard for the third time in a week "it makes me feel sick" about dealing with hard situations. Wah.

So I kept saying Tooooo baaaaaaadddddd in a whiney voice. She left for lunch. :laugh:

Anyone else?
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol.....your an evil man.....

so is she ugly?
  3. Geonerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gee, you must feel SO proud of yourself.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like she can't handle her job or/and she needs mental help.
  5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Also sounds like Steevo is looking to clean his conscience with us here. LOL

There is no doubt you've got a duff sales team member. But I think as a manager you've got to learn how to handle these sorts of situations in a more clever way. Any tips for Steevo?
  6. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i agree with lemonadesoda, you should've handled the situation in a better way, and if she cant handle her job, relieve her of duty, not make her life worse.
  7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bad, Steevo, BAD !! :D

If it were me I probably would teach her to effectively deal with demanding customers.
  8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Humanity is overrated, but you still have to live with it. Just go apologise to her, and teach her how to deal with them.
  9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Bullshit.

I have lost my faith in the goodness and ability of a common person to do what is right. People will do what they want to do, so make them want it. She is all better now, as is one of my nieces as her mother told me the same thing "dealing with her makes me sick". My niece woudn't eat what she was given, and after grilling steaks and cooking dinner I didn't want to hear her cry about not liking food she never tried and the complaining all night about being hungry. So I made her stand in a corner with her hand up touching the wall and her mother had to sit and listen. Sure enough after 15 minutes she was ready to eat and quit whining, and her poor little mommy was dumbfounded by simple dicipline.

My employee is working away happliy knowing that if she does her best I will support her, and if not I will make her feel worse. It is really all about options, give them two make them the only ones and make one slightly worse than the other.

And before you start in about my management, my department has never been more profitable, had a better service record, and had such high morale. My manager never pushed hard enough to make normal seem good, so normal was always mediocre to me. Now I make hard work really hard by giving two options and they always choose the easiest and like it.

The art of demotivation at work.
  10. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you create a hostile work environment your employees will be hesitant to come to you when they need assistance because they will be afraid of ridicule and nonconstructive criticism. You are creating an environment that will ultimately be incapable of reaching its maximum productivity. It is often necessary to be firm with employees, and let them know exactly what is demanded and the consequences for not properly completing their tasks. Belittling and berating them does not aid in the completion of this goal. It is perfectly exceptable to demand the best from your employees, but you should also be willing to help them achieve their best.

Perhaps this employee isn't suited to a customer service position if she is incapable of dealing with an irrational public. If despite the correct training she is incapable of adequately dealing with the public she should consider a new occupation.

However, if you are incapable of properly dealing with your employees in a manner that promotes productivity, and creation of a productive work environment you should consider an alternative career path too. It is your job to make your expectations, and the consequences for not achieving those expectations clear. If your only recourse is to insult and belittle people who are facing problems, and you are incapable of making your expectations clear, and working with people to achieve their maximum productivity, than you are a poor manager and need to re-evaluate your methods.
  11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Angry employees and depressed employees work faster and with higher accuracy.

She was more angry with herself as she knows what I expect, and I recently had a meeting with her and gave her the book Fish! to read and write a one page report on as she sometimes has a poor attitude. I remember the feeling about work I dislike, but I found that if you do it right, and quick it can be enjoyable.

The problem with our economy and business moviong elsewhere is that the standard employee is so wrapped up in themselves and how they feel, and justifying that feeling only reinforces the problem. Make them feel that it is just part of the job and expected and if they do not perform they can and will be replaced. Reward them when they do go above and beyound. She recently got a giftcard for showing up early. But that makes no excuse for not giving each customer the best service she can.

In short, if she doesn't care for the job she can leave. But she seems to like being told exactly what needs to be done, given room to do it, and being rewarded for her hard work with pay and benefits that reflect. If she expects more then she needs to produce more. Simple.

Plus I have no time to micromanage every little thing going on, I am doing the majority of the work in the department and the majority of sales. And if she quits now its better than in the heat of the season. That is small stress compared.
  12. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    LOL. I like that Steevo. You can come and kick some ass around here and get some of my employees into shape. You're hired! ;)

No seriously, at least you put a bit of brutal black humour into the situation. You could be a comic book hero on the executive desk. :)
  13. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Personally I would tell you to go fuck yourself and let you deal with the angry customer. If you pissed me off enough, I might just tell the customer to fuck off as well and then tell them to talk to you about it.

You are just being a jerk and the only thing that you will accomplish is making your employees hate you and be LESS productive. She cried about it, the next person might be a bit more vindictive.
  14. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Steevo, My views and opinions are sort of like yours, like do your job and stop complaining, or GTFO.

Although, you gotta see that it's not exactly the right thing to do, because now she's gonna shun you and think of negative things of you....
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    granted - angry employees are more productive and work faster - but they also tend to be at a higher risk of damaging company or customer property.

Take, for example, the shop I work at. Our manager/shop owner treats us with no respect, is arrogant, lies, and literally fucks over anyone that walks through the door. We currently have a near non-existant customer base, and our work average has been 3 cars a week.

Over the last 2 years, we've had 2 techs up and quit with no warning whatsoever - the last one quit only recently because his pay was cut for 2 sick days that he took, and the owner told him it was never part of the arragement when he signed on (which was BS, as he's been paid for sick days before).

So, we're left with one tech . . . me. And I've about got a job lined up in less than a month, and I intend to give no warning either when I leave.

There is no way at all the business will be able to stay afloat after I'm out, and should he hire someone before I'm gone, I fully intend to tell any new hires to GTFO and explain the ass-raping they'll be in for.

Poor mangement = fail.

Besides, content employees that understand they're listened to, and not treated like peons are more productive and effective than irrate employees; ahppy employees are usually willing to go above and beyond what is expected of them, even more so if they know that mangement takes notice of their efforts - this does not mean rewarding, simply the acknowledgement. Happy employees are also more willing to help dontribute to the overall growth of the company, even offering meaningful suggestions now and then, instead of just meeting bare minimum - and they're also more willing to bring in new customers, or recommend to others to apply for hire, whereas irrate employees are more willing to turn others away.

nothing personal, Steevo, but if I were in that situation, I probably would've been fired before it was done and over with as I defi would've asked what the fuck your problem was.

<edit>

the one big point I forgot - it's easier and cheaper to keep an employee, instead of having to o through the hire process and then train/accustom a new employee to your business. Businesses with very unsatisfied employees tend to have a higher turn-over rate.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  16. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    You make good points, imperial.. :)
    imperialreign says thanks.
  17. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks. Some other thoughts:

when you belittle or patronize your employees, it also destroys their trust and confidence in you. Managers don't always know what is said behind their backs, or what goes on when they're not around. After enough times of being "pegged down," employees will act an entirelly different way when management is near by, as compared to when they're not, which destroys your trust and confidence in your employees. Besides, do you really want to have to worry about some form of retaliation that you might not be able to do anything about?

And, asides, do you treat your male employees any differently? If you only treat your female employees that way, TBH, that just sounds to me like you might have some serious issues with yourself that you need to address.

nothing against you, steevo, just my outlook on it.
  18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I treat them the same. We work the same weekend and trade breakfasts. We have a very good working relationship.
  19. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    The kind of misguided uninformed "whatever" attitude of people I hate and refuse work with is what I try and get across to people when they blatantly do so. It is unacceptable and for the people who do this sort of thing please go read The art of demotivation and hopefully you will realize that you are not living your dream and never will. So stop wasting my time by trying to tell me about all your hopes and dreams of making it big while you are totaling me up at the grocery store, or serving me my food.

"Most people will wake up one day and the realization that their dreams are never going anywhere will hit them, and they will do one of two things. Get moving and become a better person and try reaching for their dreams, or accept that where they live and what they have is not going to change. By forcing the realization that every moment wasted is just moving them further from this you are not a bad person, but just allowing them a better chance at getting a start on which option they choose"

By demanding more from her I force her to realize that she has to work harder if she wants anything more than what she has now. By raising the bar and not allowing her to justify her excuses she will be forced into one of two options. Either way the choice in inevitable, just another drone working away hoping to win the lottery, or someone with potential and not afraid to move their ass and get results. If any of you wonder why after working somewhere for X or XX number of years you have been passed over for promotion, you are probably seen as a drone. Just another person. Either grow some balls and get moving and stop making excuses or relax with what you have and try to do a good enough job and not complain or else you might get canned by someone who will work harder and better for the same wage.

[​IMG]
  20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The problem with the scenario in the OP doesn't lie in making her choose between 2 options. The problem lies with you belittling her. I had 1 boss to that to me once. He picked his teeth up off the floor.

Belittling people in no way motivates them. At first, yes, but eventually you will see a drastic decline in production, or a much higher staff turnover using your methods. That's best case scenario, you might get really unlucky and push the wrong person's buttons, and end up picking your teeth up off the floor.

You are the worst kind of management. There is a clear cut line between being stern, and being an asshole. In the above scenario, you crossed that line.

You can spout all the BS rhetoric and theories you want, you handled the situation wrong, period.
  21. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    agreed with wile on this steve, I had my last manager pull some crap, fired me for not comming in on my off day actully. I filed a complaint with BBB agasint Whataburger, and the Texas Labor board agasint them. I also told customers as i left that the food was expired but the store couldnt afford to order more, there customers droped 50% after that comment. You watch how you treat your people. IF you treat them with respect and dignity you will get it, if you don't your in for a world of shit. Hope you dont get someone like me or Wile, cause either type would have you screwed six ways till sunday
  22. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

there's a difference, though, if someone comes into the workplace with a drone mentality, and employees acquiring a drone mentality due to management. Putting your employees down can and will acquire them to adopt a drone worker mentality in your work place - instead of talking about a situation, they'll never bring it up. They'll do what they're told, and never offer any advice or go beyond what you asked them to do, because they'll be afriad that if they should make a mistake, or do something not to your liking, that they'd have to deal with an arrogant attitude. That type of management creates the drone workers that you claim to hate; you might not see it in your business, but it might show up at their next place of emlpoyement.

I can understand not liking the "whatever" attitude, as I've had to work with people like that myself; and those employees will never change that attitude, regardless of how much you belittle or berate them - they're the ones, though, that are quicker to leave when you pressure them to much; as far as I see it, that kind of management attitude only sorts out those that are there to work, and those that are there only for the paycheck.

And as far as I see it, you might look down on someone bagging your groceries, or flipping your burgers, but there are countless people out there who do that kind of work as a second job so they can afford to go to school to better themselves, and it's quite possible they can come out of 2-6 years of school ahead of where you are now.
  23. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
  24. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    You guys are soft. I am not stupid and smoking it up, driving drunk, or beating my wife, I don't harass her every day. She is very comfortable about speaking to me, and I allow everyone to solve their own problems (ala One minute manager) and work through things. I don't usally get upset about small mistakes as we are all human and make them. But when she is highly frusterated over just normal stuff and tries to vent it on me I respond by poking back.
  25. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just thought the link was funny.

I wish I could punch some co-workers. There's one stupid egotistical toy-poodle-faced girl I'd like to elbow in the eye.