1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU base clock strange behavior

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Vinska, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Hello!

I have this strange problem:

First, I changed the CPU base clock frequency from default 200 to 210. Firing up CPU-Z shows it [Bus Speed] at the expected 210 MHz, along with an expected CPU, NB and mem. freq. increase. But that is only when it the computer is relatively idle. When it gets some load, the base clock / bus speed starts fluctuating - randomly goes in the range of ~ 205 to 215 [along with changing the CPU, NB and mem clocks accordingly]

Today, I updated my BIOS and for this occasion decided to up it again, from 210 to 215. Now it goes completely out of whack on load - jumps around in the range of ~ 160 to 250 MHz. That doesn't look very "healthy" to me. My biggest concern is that during a frequency spike, it also sets my memory to run at a speed that I am not confident it can manage without any problems.

Any opinions / advice?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Turn cool and quite off.
    Vinska says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! This solves it.
    Too bad it also disables Turbo. Would be nice to find a solution that would not disable Turbo, though...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    is it not spectrum spread that changes that?
  5. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... I will try it w/ spectrum spread off & Cool 'n Quiet on then.

EDIT:
    Can't find spectrum spread setting, but I remember it was there somewhere. Might have actually been in my previous mobo then.

BUT,
    I found that disabling AMD APM [application power management] makes the base clock stable, even with CnQ on. Also, it appears Turbo won't work without APM. At least it downclocks & downvoltages idle cores. Oh well, sort of win, I guess...

P.S. I still saw the base clock to go down for very short amounts of time. It happens only when some game loads a LOT from the HDD. I saw it go down to 85 MHz for a sec once :twitch:
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU