1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU coolers

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by alucard13mmfmj, Feb 4, 2013.

1. alucard13mmfmj

Thanks Received:
    So I am looking to get a new CPU cooler for my intel i5 3570k. The stock cooler is not working well when I am rendering and compressing videos. It reaches temperatures of 80C (sometimes up to 82C). Rendering/Compressing takes 40minutse total each video.. and I would be doing many videos. Normal activity, like browsing net and instant messaging yields 45 C.

Relevant information is:
    Asrock z77 extreme4 mobo
    G.SKill ripjaw 2x4GB ram
    Antec 300 tower

People suggested I get the Noctua NH-D14. However, that thing is one big mofo. I might get the Noctua NH-U12P instead, jsut because its a tad smaller. I don't plan to overclock my CPU right now, as I want to use it for 5-7 years and I heard overclocking might decrease the life span of the CPU.

I would like a cooler where I won't have to remove the mobo if I don't need to or a smaller cooler.

Noctua NH-D14, I might not have to remove the mobo when I install for first time (although I don't mind removing the mobo to install it). The antec 300's side panel allows me to install the steel backplate. Then I'd plug in the 2 CPU fan plugs into the 2 PWR sockets. Then I'd mount it. The only thing I might not be able to do without removing the mobo is latching on the middle fan because there is not that much space at the top of the case to do it. I might not install the middle fan.

It is not that I am lazy. Usually when I dedust, I remove vid card, psu, and every other time the CPU cooler. The motherboard is also a hassle to mount. That actually took me the longest to do while building my comp cause of alignment issues with the hole, insulator and screw.. I just more things can go wrong XD, especially with a giant, sharp heavy piece of aluminum.
    ---

picture of what my insides look like
    http://i46.tinypic.com/106zkht.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    CM 212 +
    CM 212 EVO

Ether one is the go to basic cpu cooler and best bang for buck
    xvi and bmaverick say thanks.
  3. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    Yes, for your application softwares, a very good air-cooling solution is best and has less troubles over water-cooling. The main thing is to keep the dust bunnies from over populating over time.
  4. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I very much like my Xigmatek cooler and didn't think there was much better for the price, but found that the Hyper 212 Evo shaved a few degrees off on top of that. As much as I love my Xiggy, I'd have to +1 the Hyper 212 Evo.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Hyper 212 Evo, can usually handle Ivy to 4.5ghz
    jgunning says thanks.
  6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I also agree with the Cm 212+
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    I would also vote for the CM 212 Evo a very good performing CPU and also cheap
  8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    $19 at NE right now after rebate. You cant really complain about that
  9. alucard13mmfmj

Thanks Received:
    i dont see them for 19 after rebate for at NE. unless NE abbreviate is not what i think it is lol

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
    or
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

if it was, that would be a big plus.

Ill probably decide on what to get tonight. =s
    if i would to get either noctuas, id most likely use only 1 fan and use the other fan as an intake fan for the front of my tower.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Noctua C-14.... fits all, no noise, nice.... long term investment...

Yep, I run it with one fan. Happy.
  11. alucard13mmfmj

Thanks Received:
    also speak of the devil.. NE sent me some discount codes. 15% off CPU coolers. lol how convinient.
  12. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget to get some good tp
  13. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    I would have to recommend a CM 212 Evo as well as a budget cooler. Mid-line would be the Xigmatek Dark Knight II, and if you're already paying for a Noctura, I would say you would be better off getting an AIO water cooler unless you're prioritizing your cooler being quiet, and even then Phanteks would be just as good of an option but would look better if you care about color.

And don't skimp on getting good thermal compound, GELID GC-Extreme or a similar high-performing TIM which lasts is what you should be shooting for.
  14. alucard13mmfmj

Thanks Received:
    I got the CM hyper 212 plus and some artic 5 thermal paste.

It is kinda loud =|, but it was at fan speed 10 (max) and the default CPU target temperature was 45C, about 51C at 100% cpu load. I lowered the fan speed down to 5 and its 53C at 100% cpu load. I am lowering it as much as i can without getting a huge spike in temperature. Fan speed 3 55C.

I also had an adventure. I bent my mother board's CPU socket pins. Bent like 6 of them >.<. I unbent 5 of them. 1 of them was shaped like a ? mark but i tried to line up the tip as best as i can with its neighbors. Thank goodness my comp still runs. I messed with the socket cause some of the old thermal paste flaked and was stuck in the crease of the socket and lets say i bumped into the pins.

the cooler master fan is alright, i guess. my video card WAS the loudest thing in my computer, but now it seems it mys CPU fan when its at higher fan speeds.

I am satisfied with the cooling difference between intel stock and the cooler master. for this price, its good.
  15. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Im glad you didn't screw up that board. Be careful its delicate stuff. You figured out how to turn the fan down that's good. The 212 EVO is even louder at full speed. Mine runs at 4 (900)rpm with an overclock of 4.4 so its 69c at full load.
  16. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    My Hyper 212+ has the loudest fan in the case as well.
    I simply left the fan on auto though.
    You could try using a push pull configuration on the cooler and see how much the temperature drops.