1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU fan noise increases a lot after new motherboard

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ben Clarke, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    OK, so I got new motherboards for both my PC's. After I fitted the motherboards, and turned them on, I noticed that the CPU fan noise has gone right up. Before they were silent. Any ideas on how I can fix this, on BIOSes that have NO fan control?
  2. NFITC1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My dad had a similar problem when he got a new heat sink/fan. It was LOUD because I think the fan was partially grinding on part of the copper heat sink. If this is obviously not the problem (the fan hitting something), then you probably find a way to decrease the voltage supplied to the fan. A resistor on the main power line coming from the fan should be able to do that, but that's probably more complicated than anyone wants to do. If you were running the AMD Cool 'n Quiet feature on the old mobos and this new one doesn't have that option then that might explain it too.
  3. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    I can't really afford those at the minute... and I have C&Q enabled on the AMD board, no improvment.
  5. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Can you try one of the old 'advanced' Bios feature tricks, like F3 or some key combination. It won't unlock anything special but it may give you a system monitor / fan feature.

How about a GUI program to change speeds on boot like SpeedFan?
    Well then again, if your BIOS has no fan control, I wonder if SpeedFan would recognize the motherboard :(
  6. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check to see if the fan isn't tight up against the heatsync. If the fan is loose, it will vibrate, and make noise. This happened to me before. Hope it helps.
  7. Demos_sav

Demos_sav New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your new motherboards may give more power (Watt) to the fans connected on them. In this way you get more airflow but more noise too. If you don't like it this way you have to buy a fan controller or you can put a little VR resistance but I really don't know how you can do that, ask an expert...:D