1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Fan Reading 0 RPM

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alexsubri, Feb 20, 2010.

1. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I made a stupid mistake when I went to plug back in my CPU Fan wire, the PC was still running and I didn't use my commensences and right as I went to plug it in a big spark came and turned my PC off. So, I waited for the PC to be comepletely off and I checked everything, even my LC, which is still working (becasue I did the stress test already) and it is showing that my Fan 0 is at 0 RPM, this is impossible becasue if it was at 0 RPM, my PC wouldn't be running. I checked in BIOS and it says 0 RPM, how can I reenable the RPM to show? All my fans are running, so I know it's a mistake. I must've "shocked" the part that reads the RPM, so how can I refix this

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You shorted out whatever reads the fan RPM's. Physical damage, I doubt there is a fix.

3. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no way to unshort it? :p I will try to plug it in and out again, if all else fails, I guess I'm beat :p

4. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you plug it into another fan header? If it's long enough use another fan header on the MB. Atleast you will see the fan speed. Problem is now, if your PC uses any type of intelligent detection (increasing / decreasing) CPU fan speed to save Energy it will be rendered useless. It will run at the fans full RPM. But atleast you can see the speed of the fan again.

Looking at the board via Newegg it appears you have a 'sys fan1' that you can try and plug it into.

alexsubri says thanks.
  5. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    hmm... never seen a board spark while plugging in a fan while its on... i've done it plenty of times... guess i've been lucky

6. richjordan255

richjordan255 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt panick as long as its runnin maybe clear the biosor or a bios update incase it affected that, i too have never shorted a fan when un[pluggin while the pc is on

7. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, thanks to all that sumbitted answers. I fixed the problem. it appears that my LC fan connecter has 3 pins, and the CPU fan socket has 4 pins so, I connected it like so:

_cpu_fan_ (labeled on my motherboard)
    [o o o o] (each circle represent's a pin) & my LC wire looks like this [ooo] so I connected it to the first pin, instead of the second.
    [x reprsenting the wire insterting into the pin]
    So it looks like this. [X X X o] , instead of this [o X X X] it was just probably a connection error.

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    for a CPU fan there is a key and a slot on the connectors, it should only plug in one way;)