1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cpu heatsink upgrade help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by layt, Oct 1, 2006.

1. layt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive been looking at getting a new cpu heatsink/fan and have had a hard time finding usefull information. I have a Pentium 4 LGA775 640 processor. My only problem with the stock cooler is the noise, its running around 3000rpm and I can hear it from nearly anywhere in my house. What could I get to cut down noise while keeping the temperature at least as low as stock. My current temperatures are 40*C idle and just under 70*C when running games etc. Any help would be great, especially if you have a similar type of processor.

2. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    well i got the Big Typhoon it works good my idle was like 28 C in a cool room and load like 40 some i think

3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    wow 70* thats hot i thought my stock 3700 was hot at 55* load definitely need a better cooler for that i would recommend and arctic cooling product as all of there stuff is high performance and minimal noise if they make coolers for 775 socket

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    But the Intels before the core duo's came along ran hotter than athlon 64's you should be much more concerned at 55C on your 3700 and if you really do mean stock I would suggest you should be worried! because that means you ar going to be in the 70's at load and the max operating temps is something like 49 -65C!!

6. Boneface

Thanks Received:

He said he s 55c at load not idle on his 3700

7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    for quick and easy replacement the zalman 9500 isnt bad, personally i would get the scythe infinity though and fit a higher cfm fan to it than the one that comes with it.

8. Canuto

Canuto New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. beachbum86

beachbum86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh no, last time i listed this a dude showed up at
  10. layt New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm im looking at getting either a big typhoon or the zalman 9500. The price of these coolers is very reasonable (around $70, I live in Australia). I checked out the SI-120, ultra 120 etc, but cant justify spending nearly twice as much (SI-120 is $84 dollars plus $14 for 775 adapter, plus a fan for around $20). So which would be better? big typhoon has a 120mm fan so id guess that would be quiter. But it weighs alot. The zalman would be less weight on my mother board and I think having the fan blowing out the back would work well with the 120mm fans circulating air through my case. Also im getting some arctic silver, can anyone give me tips on cleaning the gluey looking gunk off my processor and applying arctic silver?
    Thanks for the help everybody!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  11. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    to get the gunk off just get some 91-99% isopropyol alcohol and rub it off clean with a paper towel. To put on the thermal paste, apply a small dab of Arctic Silver 5 about size of a small grain of rice to the bottom of the heatsink and wipe it in (almost all will come off and use a different paper towel). Finally, put the same small dab size of the AS5 to the processor, in the middle. Then put the heatsink down ontop of the processor and lock it into place!

12. marlin1856 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also live in Aus, picked up an Arctic freezer 7 pro from Pc Case gear in Cheltnam for arround $35. It cools my P4 775 3.0 @ 3.63 verry well and isn't too big. The 120mm rear case fan extracts the hot air directly from the HSF to help with the whole process and is ultra quiet which helps keep the missus asleep during late night gaming.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  13. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    i use an akasa AK-961 its good and it has a blue led fan my idel temp is 40-41*c load is 52-55*c in games useing a intel p4 with ht 775 @ 3.0ghz

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  14. layt New Member

Thanks Received:
    I settled on a zalman 9500AT for $75, and some arctic silver 5 compound for $18. Ill post and let people know how much quieter and cooler it runs once its been installed for a while.

15. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    i recomend the gigabyte G-Power cooler if yours will take it ive seen a chart showing new coolers and temperatures and this one came top also 70c is high in my book and the only time i had problems with temps like that is when i purchased a soltek board the hsf setup i had was more than good enough yet temps were high using this board and it wasnt just me my friend also had the same board and same problem. i eventually bought a A-Open board and used the same cpu / hsf setup and the temperatures were awsome never hit 50c during game play. i dunno if this helps but shows u aint always down to the hsf.

see here http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1895&page=4

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  16. intelandgigabyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi im from australia to ive got a big typhoon i reckon there great you cant hear them and they cool well and there only $70

17. layt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I got a zalman 9500AT for $75, I nearly did get a big typhoon but they weigh nearly a kilogram which put me off. The 9500at just fit in there (it had me a little worried looking at it). It does a mighty good job too, the temps down to around 20 (lowest ive seen it dip to is 19!), considering stock it idled around 40 I think thats amazing. It does heat up to near 40 but then seems to drop back down quickly. When running games it does a great job, keeping it down to an average of 50 degrees, which is much better than 60-70! I have asus probe recording temperatures, which I think would be a great way to compare heatsinks. Record temperatures than copy the graphs.
    The noise is much better, it isnt exactly silent but my case fans are noisier than my hsf so its definitely not as bad as stock (and its running at 2700rpm). The fan does seem to make a super high frequency whistling noise which bothers me a bit. I tried turning it down using the fan speed program but it still did it at 1300rpm and I didnt notice any decrease. Anybody know if a new fan or fan controller would help? or is it whistling as it passes throught the fins of the heatsink or something? damned if I know