1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU hits 96 Degrees!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dom99, Jul 16, 2013.

1. dom99

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I've just bought an i5 4670k with Asus z87m-Plus MB and hyper 212 evo cooler.

I put it together and ran Prime95 last night to check thermals, for the first 15 mins it was maxing out at 75 degrees, but then after 18 mins it rocketed up to 96 degrees on all cores.

I monitored it using RealTemp and stopped the test as soon as I say it at that level.

When I seated the CPU cooler I put a pea sized dot in the middle of the CPU and just put the cooler on top.

Does anyone know why it would go so hot after 18 mins when it has been fine for 15 mins and any solution I should try?

I tried running prime95 twice and it did this both times.

I'm using a silverstone SG10B case

Thanks in advance!
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    OC'd?
    Clean off re-paste and re-seat is my first reaction. Also, when you take the cooler off, check the density of the paste. If it is thin in one corner, and incredibly thick on the opposite corner, your cooler is on wonky.
    dom99 says thanks.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well remember Prime is putting an excessive load on the CPU that you will NEVER be able to match, especially if you're running the Prime with AVX. Also, from reading around before I bought my 4770k, it seems intel makes specs so that during heavy loads like that stress test you run, extra voltage is added on top of whatever voltage is being ran, especially during said AVX or whatever they are tests. Check out the Haswell Club Thread in the Clubhouse section.

These chips run hot...though that hot if it's factory stock I may be questioning...but with Prime maybe not. Download and try AIDA64's CPU test too. But even that will add extra voltage under load.

I am running my 4770K using Adaptive Voltage with my OC and am using a mix of wPrime and BF3 for stability. Neither bring on the extra voltage and gaming gives me the realistic load that my PC actually sees and BF3 takes advantage of my Hyperthreading which adds even more stress for me.

Can you please list your system specs (go to User CP then System Specs and fill out, click apply)? and are you overclocking?
    dom99 says thanks.
  4. dom99

Thanks Received:
    It's not overclocked, but I swear I saw it running at 4.2GHZ so I will check, how do I know if it's overclocked? I changed a setting in the bios to be asus maximum performance optimised so I don't know if that's done anything.

Do you think the chip was damaged running so hot?

I will re-seat the heatsink when I get back in from work tonight and as you say check the paste spread
  5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    ^^this

Also - a pea is quite a large amount of thermal paste (some would argue). A grain of rice has been mentioned as a better size analogy. Thermal paste is not meant to smother the contact area, merely to fill in the minute surface imperfections.

And yes, that BIOS setting will overclock your CPU.
    dom99 says thanks.
  6. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    It's not OC'd if you didnt OC it yourself. 4.2Ghz is Turbo kicking in, thats normal.
    As said above, those chips run hot, REALLY hot, and the IHS is pasted on by retards at intel. I delidded mine, repasted, and put it on water. It still hits 70 degrees at 1.32v which is a huge amount of voltage because my chip sucks.
    The chip wont be damaged until you hit past 100 degrees. That's where the thermal throttling starts.
    dom99 says thanks.
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Can yo give us a side pic of your case?
  8. dom99

Thanks Received:
    I will post some pics tonight, I've got all 6 fan slots utilised with positive air pressure (all noctua fans except the 180mm silverstone air penetrator)

ill update my specs as well
  9. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Max turbo on i5-4670K is 3.8GHz. I'm not familiar with his mobo's UEFi settings (seems to be an ASUS) but he said he changed "asus maximum performance optimised", might be a setting for auto OC.
    dom99 says thanks.
  10. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Asus Maximum performance in BIOS automatically overclocks the CPU and increases a lot of voltage. Set it to normal and save changes. Check frequencies and voltage using CPU-Z. And check temps with Prime 95. If you want to overclock, always do it manually.
    dom99 says thanks.
  11. dom99

Thanks Received:
    The chip idles at 28 Degrees and room temperature is 25 Degrees so Im not sure its the heatsink, but I will try re-seating it anyway because I remember it wiggling about a bit when I was putting the bracket on.

I will change the bios setting sback to normal and run it again, then if it gets to the half hour stage with everyithg fine I will turn the maximum perfomance back on and keep an eye on what the clock speed and voltage are doing.

EDIT: Thanks itsakjt I will use CPUZ
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  12. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    Yes, check bios , also asus has a setting "multi-core optimize" or something close to that . disable it if you don't want all cores = max core speed .
    Even if you OC I would not use it as you can set each core multiplier per core .

Hype212evo has direct contact heat pipes, and while they are very close together there is slight gap between them.
    So you might need more than pea size . I experimented , apply, remove, check footprint of paste and adjust to get right spread .

I use 212evo on my 3570k@4.0 and whatever i get in first 10min of prime it generally only goes up tiny bit more depending on size of prime FFT test size (smaller is more cpu intense)
  13. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    if you used a pea sized dot, you used to much. use about as much as two three rice grains.

i find it best to apply the TIM on hyper 212 with a credit card, in a thin layer. this helps fill the cracks b/w heatpipes.

might just be a CPU leaking issue though.
  14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    CPU leaking?
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ah the question is what sort of pea.

BTW, here is some further reading on the subject. As others have said though, this varies from CPU model to CPU model, and then from chip to chip.
  16. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    you been here since 2008 and you haven't heard the term chip leakage?
  17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

?
    AlienIsGOD, Jetster and de.das.dude say thanks.
  18. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    also make sure you took the plastic cover tape off the cooler.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    loool
  20. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I've been building computers since the 486 days and overclocking not long after. I've seen it mentioned in a thread maybe once before. But, no, unless you are talking about chocolate coming out of cookies, I don't know what chip leakage is.

Edit - I assume you are not talking about the google results that you get when you search for "chip leakage" as Frick posted. If so, I really have to ask, "What are you doing with your cpus?"

Edit 2 - The only other thing I can think might of be related to electron migration.
  21. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast

Thanks Received:
    Here ya go : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leakage_(electronics)
    silkstone says thanks.
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    1. What is your ambient temp.
    2. Set your BIOS to default.
    3. Do not run prime for 18 or 30 F#@KING MINUTES unless you hate long lasting CPU's.
    4. Run Intel Burn test for a full pass. Watch the temps there instead.
    5. Game heavy for about 3+ hours to test stability.
    6. Watch temps in all steps.
    7. Smoke trees
    Random Murderer and dom99 say thanks.
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Two suggestions:

1.Make sure the heatpipes run parallel to the CPU die.
    [​IMG]

2.Fill the gaps in between the heatpipes with TIM like this:
    [​IMG]

Then add a small line of TIM that runs with the CPU die and mount the cooler.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    dom99 says thanks.
  24. dom99

Thanks Received:
    I did some more testing with the asus optimisation enabled and the cpu is getting extremely hot on the 8K test but passes the 448k test first.

Why does the 8k kill the processor so much?!

During the tests it was running @4ghz 1.32V. First 448k test the temps were about 68 Degrees but shoot up on the 8K to 80 Degrees so I stopped it there.

I'm going to do what others have suggested and forget about Prime95 and just do some gaming to test it.

I will take the side off in a bit to take some pics

thanks for all the replies, I'm going to get some rubbing alcohol and cotton buds to re-seat the cooler anyway because I'm not happy with how it went on first time
  25. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU