1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU overclocking ?'s

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by binsky3333, Feb 5, 2008.

1. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I have just a few quick questions about overclocking.

1. Does increasing your CPU voltage damage your CPU.
    2. If i get better cooling then stock will i be able to overclock more.

2. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    1) pretty sure it dosent but you will have to as someone else
    2) yes...water cooling is best but pretty expensive....stock fan is not great for overclocking...

3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The answer to number one depends on just how much overvolting you do, within sensible proportions no it wont but you need to keep it cool so the answer to number 2 is yes....temps are the key, however, if you put too much voltage thru a chip, even keeping it at reasonable temps you will slowly damage the chip but TBH, unless you intend keeping the chip for more than 3 years you probably would not notice.

4. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    1. Yes, over time increasing your CPU's voltage does damage your CPU. The good thing is that most people upgrade their CPU before the damage starts to appear.

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1 it can if done incorrectly...OC'ing will in some cases render parts useless.

2 most times yes , better cooling leads to better OC's...thats why there is Phase change systems(google).

EDIT: @ PC correct , somewhat....but OC will shorten the life by possibly 6 months of a 5-6 year CPU lifespan. Not really a huge impact there!

6. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    looking at your chip, I personally would not run more than 1.45V 24/7 but you can easily whack 1.6V through her for benchmarking. 1.45V on that chip should give you at least 300mhz stable if not more.

If you are looking for budget aftermarket cooling, go for the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro, it's not high end but it's good and cheap and will handle your 1.45V 24/7 no worries.

7. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So basically i really shouldnt worry about overvolting because in three years probbaly 2 i will have bought a new processor.

8. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    If oc'd properly I wouldn't worry about damage. I was giving you an official answer.

This forum is full of useful information on how to oc properly.

Good luck!

9. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is OC'ing properly overclocking it through the BIOS.

10. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    Yes! Absolutely.

There are some programs that will allow you to oc inside of windows but the best way to oc is in the BIOS.

11. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    honestly thats exactly the way I look at it, I may shorten the life of my proc but if I keep a proc for over a year that normally means its time to upgrade anyways. For the regular user, ok 3 years, but I have procs that I have ran really high voltage through that still run 4 to 5 years later, hell my athlon thunderbird 1200 running at 2.0 still runs, I gave it to my cousin to watch her movies on and she LOVES it. Ive had that proc for over 6 years now

12. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    I agree.

13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Thru BIOS yes but more importantly, ensuring the balance is right and ALL the factors are taken into account so as you are not causing un necessary strain on any individual component.....strain = potential damage. Key components/processes in overclocking?

VCore Voltage
    Memory speed/divider/voltage
    NB Voltage
    SB Voltage
    FSB voltage
    CPU/FSB speed
    PCI-E speed

etc etc etc etc................and cooling :D

sneekypeet says thanks.
  14. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    To overclock i up the FSB in the BIOS so i guess i am overclocking properly. The most i really want out of this CPU is probbaly 2years cause like the other people said earlier my cpu will become oudated and i will most likley upgrade in a year or 2.:toast:

15. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Are you taking all the other factors into account, they become more important as you push the CPU further.

16. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What other kind of factors? Voltage and cooling?

17. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Yes as per my post #13 and the PM I just sent you :D

18. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cooling is a huge factor, I will not push procs any further once they hit the around 50 deg C. Thats normally my limit, then I upgrade cooling.

If the proc is within the temp your going for and the NB and SB arent getting to hot (<45-50C at the most) then I wouldnt worry much. People say that even though your proc may be cool enough, to many volts can still damage hardware over time. That has never been an issue to me, but I could see how it could hurt.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you get the FSB really high you normally have to run your memory in 1:1, personal tests have seen very high temps on my memory doing that, but I have never had memory fail on me. I have seen errors and bluescreens because of it though

19. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok

20. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    those are all personal findings, Im sure you will find others who will tell you to keep your NB cooler, and you can push your proc higher.

When i had a Pentium D with a zalman 9500, my D running @ 4.0 would sit at like 68C at 100%. I didnt even monitor temps because of those numbers. I wanted that to fail to get my C2D but it never did. I put it in a computer for a friend who runs it at 3.4 @ ~60C and its still running strong(about 3 years old)

Those were known for running hot though

21. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Damage can come by 2 methods:
    -excessive: heating It's always a good rule of thumb to keep your CPU load temps below 60C. They suggest a case temp of no higher then 60.1C at 65W TDP
    -electromigration: To much electrical flow which generates to much heat can damage your CPU over time. The maximum for a E6420 is 1.50V (page 20). But I would stay well below 1.50V. Please read the PDF.

From Page 19

2. That's a tricky question because that depends on performance. What kind of performance are you looking for? If all you are looking for is a higher OC number I really cannot help you. When OC'ing you want to keep your CPU under 60C load temps IMO. But make sure that you are well below 1.50V.

22. curt New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont have book smarts but i have exsperince

my xp3000 ran .45v over stock for 2 years [allso did tests as high as .60v over] the cpu that i cooked instantly was a celiron 1gh going for 1.5 stock volts wer 1.7v an i cooked it at 3.34v [it did boot up at 2.8v !!] only 1.4gh thow

i dont think power kills cpu.s unless your useing enuf to flash burn it i did that to 1 cpu

in my 5 years of working at a comp store heat is the worst killer weather it be dust cloggeed or just a hot cpu

the way i oc is i get as much as i can on stock volts then up the volts by say .1 an go for more till the point where adding volts dosent help just creates more heat

an for cooling its all about how wild u wana go my 2.1gh xp3000 would take 2.7gh if kept under 25c i was using 7c water to cool it past 10c u get into condesation ishews an ther hard to combat

i aim for under 45c on any pc part sept my 8800gts cus its like imposable lol

if your cpu stays under 45c at load u wont have any heat related damege

comps that run for years at 60c on the other hand cpu.s ar nomaly darkened an dryed out

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  23. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    As he says, it's not just about heat, it's about electomigration, the physical effect of too much voltage running through the chip has a decaying effect (for want of a better word). You cannot compare your XP3000 as it's TDP rating will be at least twice that of the C2D at 65W, the XP3000 used/required much more voltage and therefore was effected less by that voltage.