1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU overheating in Coolermaster Adv 692

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Wulfgar, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Wulfgar New Member

Thanks Received:
    My new Core I7 950 idles at around 40 degrees C and goes up to 90 degrees C in full load. It is NOT overclocked.

The Coolermaster Advanced 690 II comes with 3 fans. One 140mm in front, providing air flow into the HDD, a 120mm in the back and another 140mm on top blowing air out of the case.

Furthermore, I installed an extra 140mm fan on the left side to provide extra air flow to the video card (GTX 470). They all work fine. The mobo is an Asus Sabertooth X58. Cable management is pretty decent since I use a modular PSU.

The headsink had no manufacturing defects and was properly installed. My question is, how come my CPU is overheating in such a highly rated case which ironically goes by the name of COOLERmaster ? Are those temps normal for a Core I7 ? If not, what should I do about it (besides changing the case) ?
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    what cpu cooler you using? If your using stock cooler yes its normal
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    +1, normal temps for a stock cooler. At the very least you could remove the stock crap thermal paste and apply some Arctic Silver 5.
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    90°C seems a bit high, even for the stock cooler. Make sure all 4 push pins are properly secured.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the voltage set to for the CPU? Perhaps your motherboard is giving it more than it needs if it's set on auto?
  6. Wulfgar New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's on the stock cooler but why would Intel design such a crappy heatsink for a 600$ processor (price dropped recently) ? There must be a threshold above which the processor will automatically reduce its performance so basically I'm not getting what I paid for.

Here are a few pictures around the heatsink. I double checked everything since I have to install a different PSU.

1st pic: the back of the mobo, notice the 4 pins.

2nd pic: heatsink

3rd pic: overall setup, plenty of space around the heatsink

4th pic: the extra fan, maybe I should position it higher ?

http://i55.tinypic.com/j5yxoo.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2qbd64n.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ik78z4.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/atw274.jpg

I need a new PSU right now so I can't check the voltage but I will do so. I could buy better thermal paste but from what I understand it's not required unless you overclock.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe you are at the threshold where the processor will underclock/throttle. IIRC that is 100°C with these processors, but I could be wrong.

As for the crappy stock cooler...well it does a "good enough" job when everything is right, so Intel being a business, they are after as high a profits as possible, so good enough is all they are after.

Several things to check:

CPU Voltage: Make sure the motherboard isn't overvolting the processor when set to Auto, try setting it to manual.
    CPU Fan speed: Make sure the motherboard isn't set to control the fan speed and slowing the fan down. You should be able to force it to run at 100%, and I would recommend you do so with the stock cooler.

Changing the thermal paste isn't really going to give the results you are looking for, it might shave a degree or two off, but that is it. However, you should remove the old paste and replace it any time you take off the cooler. So if you have previously removed the stock cooler and re-installed it, even if you just did it the first time you installed the cooler, you should replace the TIM.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Jakeman97

Jakeman97 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Wulfgar,
    Just a question here. Is that fan (pic #4) you have on the side-panel set to pull air out of the case? That's the way it looks. I really can't see the blades that well.
    Jakeman97
  9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its blowing into the case. If you can see the frame, thats usually the "out" side of the fan.
    Jakeman97 says thanks.
  10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    What are you using to load it? Games or a stress test? I got 90c in IBT with stock cooling.
  11. Wulfgar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used prime95 and realtemp.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Normal temps for an i7 with a stock cooler.
    Wulfgar says thanks.
  13. Wulfgar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I moved the additional fan and now the temps reach 85 degrees. I plan on buying another fan to keep the videocard cool.

I'm not worried anymore as I played GTA 4 and Mafia 2 lately which stress out quite a lot the CPU and the temps only reached 60 degrees.
  14. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Go water cooling ?
  15. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Get a better cooler, the Intel stock coolers are notorious for being junk.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yes I agree . I have not used a stock HSF for about 10 years now ! They only provide you with the bare minimum . Once you go water cooling you will never look at air cooling again !
    But even then you should get a v10 or v12 on that thing . :D
  17. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Or even a Hyper 212+ if you don't plan on much overclocking. ;) Although I'm sure a certain someone will pop in here and say otherwise like always. :shadedshu
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL I couldn't tell you what air cooler is better than what . I have been on water for a long time now and well haven't even bothered looking at any air coolers .
    So get what is cool and cool that i7 down or stick with the stock HSF and keep it stock . You may way to check all the bios settings to make sure that you are not running the CPU at full speed all the time ( Like I do ) it could cool it off more .
  19. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    Did you know all intel stock coolers are not the same? The more better the processor the more taller the fins are. But still stock coolers are crap
  20. IamEzio

Thanks Received:
    The stock cooler that came with my E8400 was realy low like lP coller , that strange because my E8400 is the HIGH END of the C2D CPU's :p
  21. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Disable HT and that should drop the load temps a little.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    OK let me rephrase that. I was meant to say that the more power the cpu consumes (usually more power = more better) and because the E8400 is a 65w part then its cooler doesn't really have to be good.

Also guess what, I've got a 8400 too! :toast:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010