1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU running at 5+ GHz, 8+ cores and using DDR5 memory modules

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Felipe.deleon, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Felipe.deleon

Felipe.deleon

Thanks Received:
    I was reading the: New A10 review and thinking????
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/A10-6800K/

Now with the PS4 and XBOX one, they have to release CPU suport to DDR5 and DDR5 memory modules, compared the today best DDR3 a DDR5 clocked at 1700 MHz is more them 10 times fast.

A APU with a IGPU clock at 1000 Mhz and using DDR5 1700 Mhz would probably kill all low and middle range VGA and would be much cheap compared to a overall system off CPU, memory, VGA and etc...

The CPU running at 5+ GHz, 8+ cores and using DDR5 will be the step forward that everyone is hoped, 5 to 10 % improve over the last ''generation'' come on!, i wanna to see 100% 200% 500% improve they can do way not? :banghead:

If the industry was really to please the consumer a would expected a APU 5+ Ghz 8+ cores and DDR5 memory modules to at least Q4 2014, But i don't believe it maybe 2015 late 2015.

The way for me is because they wanted to sell more and more of this crap CPU, APU, and over price GPU. Than comes a CEO says that the next console generation is two steps over the today PC, of course you are holding down the whole industry.

Now that AMD is producing this new CPU/GPU crap for the next game consoles, for me is the time to they over passed Intel :slap: at least in CPU power not in money in the beginning but is a beginning to one day they pass in money too.

Way not!!!???

What you think? :confused:

See my second post to better understand ... Second post...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Just trying to understnd what your asking?

The Von Matrices says thanks.
  3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Consoles are crap, indeed. And sellers release stuff when they feel it's right. As old as the first time a human milked a cow.

4. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    The PC doesn't need more power/cores if programs aren't going to utilize them.

I don't think AMD can beat Intel's CPU designs anymore. Maybe they will have something, but I doubt it.

You're asking to many things at once almost venting about it.

jgunning says thanks.
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Its not that far fetched as they can Do all the above already individually and some combined just not all at the same time in one chip and they probably could but it would be effin massive and a possible full house heater And very eexpensive to make and buy

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Why can AMD's design not beat Intel's? The world is multithreaded now, AMD outperforms Intel in that.

7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure that's GDDR5, not DD5. DDR4 spec I think has just recently been released to manufacturers.

Ephremius says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I still remember when AMD was a top dog and Intel was still selling more just because of it's name...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  9. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    one word

MONEY!!

10. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    4 post in 5 years btw

11. toilet pepper

toilet pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really. Not all the time. Especially in gaming. And you have to consider Intel uses less power to accomplish tasks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Intel because of the shady practice they did a few years back. When a friend asks me for a tip in building PCs it's always AMD. AMD is considerably cheaper than both nVidia and Intel.

AMD has to fight off several competitors at the same time and I am amazed they're still in business. Funny thing about it is they are competing with themselves this time. It was a good business move, though. They have thought that people buying consoles must likely wouldn't bother building PC's anyway.

12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    No go get a properly multithreaded application and compare apples to apples (3570K/3770K vs 8320/8350) and most of the time the AMD side wins. Especially if it takes advantage of the superior instruction set on the AMD chips.

Games are hit and miss. Metro performs well, Crysis 3 performs well, BF3 performs well etc.

13. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
  14. toilet pepper

toilet pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup! I know that a reason I have an 8320 on my rig. But on Intel's side, if they win - they win by a landslide. And again by using considerably less power.

If you could see where AMD is going and what Intel is focusing on, AMD might be able to catch-up with Intel. If softwares would be all multi-threaded then a little fine tuning with AMD's IPC and topping it off with a smaller node process (or just make it more efficient) , then Intel might be in big trouble. Intel is pretty much competing with itself at this point that's why they are pushing the mobile market.

15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    100-500% improvemet from one generation to another? I dont think that has ever happened, nor will it happen. For one making CPUs is bloody diffficult, and to get that stuff you want is bloody sodding difficult. Which brings us to money. They might be able to make a couple of chips like that, but they would have to be insanely expensive. Then we have the thing others have talked about here: needs. What would you do with that kind of power? Few peoplr would be able to utilize it. And who in their right mind would not try to cater to as many as possible?

16. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Yes. GDDR5 is a form of DDR3 that prioritises bandwidth over latency. It would not constitute a performance improvement if used to replace DDR3 in desktop systems.

17. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its not that they cant, they wont. its all a scam between intel and AMD :roll:

18. DinaAngel

DinaAngel

Thanks Received:
    just a hope tho, cheap AMD quantum cpus, i wonder who will take the first step, either Intel or AMD. IBM has made quantum computer but a pure quantum cpu hasn't been fully made, scientists they have made some samples with Qbits but silicon cant go on forever, someone hafto make the step

Ephremius and Felipe.deleon say thanks.
  19. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I would like to see amd release an itx version of a ps4 8 cores, 8gb gddr5 and a good APU this could be the basis of the next steambox.

20. TheTechWard

TheTechWard New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I think that you don't quite know what you're talking about. If it were so easy to improve performance they would have done it by now. There also has to be a need for it, and on personal computers, it isn't there. For most purposes the i3 and i5 will suit the vast majority of people's needs. The people who actually need say an i7 or xeon(s) are very few.

So I think it's unrealistic to see more than 5-10% performance improvements as far as IPC is concerned because so much as been squeezed out of the platform (for Intel) already. As for more cores, you need software that's actually going to utilize it and the need to utilize it before you're going to see software taking advantage of it. Most software doesn't need more than 4 cores as it stands right now (in fact most software really doesn't even need that much). You're doing something pretty specific if you're running software that's going to peg 8 logical cores.

So I have one question for you: What are you doing that is getting you so worked up about the improvement from one generation to the next? It's not like CPUs are underperforming, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about. I'm actually incredibly happy with the performance of my i7 3820 and I'll be holding on to it for many years to come.

22. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I still don't understand what he was talking about because most of that is not true, the next gen consoles are not going to have 5Ghz+ cpu's like that and based on the raw performance of the CPU's I don't even think they could outperform a 2500K.

23. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Should have read the Op he's basically saying why can't intel or amd make an Apu with it All ie 8 FAST cores and a gpu that makes discretes pointless for most.
    For pcs though , consoles were only mentionened as the apus announced sound promising but a bit light for a pc.
    It's technically do able imho but not commercially viable due to die size.

24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yields on bigger dies tend to be worse as they get bigger, so there comes a nice hefty price that comes along with it and the simple fact is, the market isn't there.

25. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Yes that has happened....the 286 was about 400% faster than the 8086 and the 386 was at least 100% faster then the 286....the Pentium was about 100% faster then the 486 C2Q doubled what the Pentium could do and was at least 70% faster then the Pentium D's
    But since around 2006 all we have seen is small improvements and 5 socket changes from Intel and 4 mostly backwards compatible changes from AMD...

It's not unlikely to happen because it can't happen its unlikely to happen because people will pay for 5-10% improvements every 6 months nowadays.