1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU running hot and a fan is louder

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Dubnoman, May 16, 2012.

1. Dubnoman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I noticed a fan running louder than usual lately (2 weeks ago) when I play Skyrim (it is the only PC game I've been playing since the beginning of this year). I thought it might be the GPU fan, so I installed HWMonitor to look at GPU temperatures. Turns out the GPU temperatures are fine, but I'm finding that the CPU temperatures are kind of high.

My processor is a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. It is not overclocked. It is a quad core CPU operating at 3.2 GHz. Someone on another forum said this to me: "Max operating temp on the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition is 55°C - 62°C". Is this true? I played Skyrim last night while HWMonitor was running, and the max temp recorded for all 4 cores of my CPU was 67 degrees Celsius. The fan that is running louder must be the CPU fan, and you can tell it is working harder. It works harder than it used to when I played Skyrim in the past; before recently.

Is my CPU operating at a dangerous temperature? What can I do to remedy this problem? I think the first step is to clean my computer. It is long over due for being cleaned of dust. In the next few days, I want to clean the inside of my PC. I found a guide on how to clean the inside of a PC on another forum. Do you suppose this is the likely cause of the overheating and louder fan?

I'd like to know, would it still be safe for me to play that PC game for the next few days? I was thinking of cleaning the inside of my PC this weekend. I'll run HWMonitor whenever I play it and keep an eye on the temperature of the CPU. Is there a certain temperature I have to look out for, one that would make me have to stop playing the game until I fix the issue?

After I clean out the inside of my PC, if this doesn't fix my problem, I'll report back here. What else may be the source of my problem?

One more thing, I just found this forum after googling about safe CPU temperatures. Is this forum a really good place for help and info on computer issues?

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    dirt is a good cause, so is the raising of ambient temperatures over the last month.

If the PC isn't shutting off or throttling the CPU, it's fine. There are measures in place to shut you down, or at minimum, slow you down if it gets too hot.

This is the best forum EVAR!!!!!!!:D

theonedub and Norton say thanks.
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention sneekypeet is your one-stop-shop for all chassis and cooling needs.

4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    This is forum is the ONLY PLACE for THE MOST EXCELLENT help and info on computer/technical/science issues!
    A huge conglomeration of the most technically advanced minds in the known universe.
    Well, it is the best in my opinion!:toast:

EDIT:

If you are using the stock cooler, you may want to think about a different alternative. Maybe some here can give you good alternatives that worked for them on the CPU.
    Also, you may want to re-apply the thermal interface material... your T.I.M.; since, you are going to be in the system and cleaning anyways.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Im assuming that machine is using the Stock Heatsink that came with the CPU correct.

and yes Dust is a killer of all electronic devices cuz it can collect water too

6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    not 62C, they must be kidding :shadedshu
    but the lower degrees is better

try to check the fan, clean any dirt or you could add 2 drops oil on that, the grease may dry
    :D

7. Dubnoman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hate to admit it, but I'm a real noob when working with computer hardware. I'll go with cleaning the inside of my computer first and see if that helps. Re-applying the T.I.M. ...I have no idea how to do that, so I won't do that unless I deem it to be something that should be done.

How much of a noob am I? I've never even replaced a stock cooler on a PC before (that'll answer the question of someone a few posts up). For someone who is very inexperienced with these things, are these things kind of hard? It probably isn't that bad, but it isn't figuring out how to do something that worries me, no, I'm so worried about damaging a part or parts of the inside of my computer that I'm paranoid about it. :ohwell:

Also, so, the consensus is that in the mean time I can still play Skyrim? :D Oh yes, and what temperature should I look out for for my CPU? What, in degrees Celsius, should be a temperature level that if I reach, I should then be concerned about and work to avoid going over?

One last thing. Are there any precautions to take when using a vacuum for the inside of a PC? Is there any danger with static electricity with a working vacuum? I read some guidelines about cleaning the inside of a PC, and I recall something about the vacuum and powering it on before touching the open PC. Am I on the right track? Am I on to something? Can anyone clarify about this?

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's true. SOI process.

Your thermal paste may also be drying up and you may have to take the cooler off, clean off the old paste and apply new paste. Go for cleaning out the dirt/dust before this thouugh.

9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Yes be carefull and use a paimtbrush too, don't let the nozzle touch pcb, and ground the nozzle to the case via you holding it, pc unplugged.

More than 25k PPD
  10. Woolahach New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably the bearing is gone. So when the CPU is getting hotter, the fan would need to spin faster but it cant. so it became very noisy and hot

11. atlblackops New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't know what your cpu maxs are, but you need to find out from AMD what they are. Use these as a guide and do not hit them. Do not rely on your board and cpu to throttle down or protect itself. Managing temps properly ensures a longer cpu life.

Yes, cleaning out your case always helps, but I doubt that your case is so dirty that it's causing your cpu to overheat (if in fact that's the case).

12. Dubnoman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I haven't been playing Skyrim for awhile. People do say the max temp for my CPU is 62 degrees Celsius.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274612-28-what-safe-core-temperature-phenom-processor-fami

I was getting a max temp of 68 degrees Celsius before I stopped playing Skyrim. I don't play any PC games now until I solve this problem. I delayed on cleaning the inside of my PC until this weekend, but I don't know if dust is really causing these high temps.

Do you think dust build up could lead to such high temperatures? The fan isn't as loud as often anymore. I delayed cleaning the inside of my PC since I stopped playing PC games. I monitor temps with HWMonitor.

This last paragraph has some important questions. What should I do to help my computer? Also, if I need to lower the voltage, I think I can do that (no experience with that, but shouldn't be too hard), but putting in a better cooler or removing paste and putting new paste on it; I have no experience with those things. Should I try to learn to do them on my own, or should I bring my computer to a computer shop? I know they will charge more than they should, but would that be a good idea for someone with no experience on these things? Do you think at a computer shop, they could diagnose my problem? I'd like to solve these problems as soon as possible. Is going to a computer shop a bad idea? Would it just cost too much money?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  13. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, watch some informational videos on how to install a cpu cooler. (if you are looking for an aftermarket one for example.)

Generally most shops only install stock cooling and will just play down your problem as dirt buildup issue and won't bother with new thermal paste or a better heatsink. I work in a shop myself and we are the only ones in town that bother to install better thermal paste and/or aftermarket cooling.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    You came to the right place for help, but honestly, you could have cleaned the inside of your case and your heat sink with compressed air in the time it took you to write your post. You've been putting it off for over three weeks, if you are that concerned, it's time to get on the field.