1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cpu running hot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stoggs1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    hello everyone, i have been having issues with cpu temps for a while now. i have used a few cpu temp monitoring programs such as core temp, speedfan and cpuid hardware monitor and all three of have said that my cpu gets up to 83 degrees c under a full load. i have two cpus and its the main one that is doing this. its a server desktop.

whats strange though my pc is perfectly stable. i have never had any reboots, shut downs or bsods even after playing demanding games such as crysis 1, 2 and 3. far cry 3 and battlefield 3 for several hours so i am not sure what is going on. i have re applied thermal paste (arctic silver 5) about 6 times now and i get the same readings each time.

i have accidently broke a fan blade by putting my hand by to make sure it was moving (which i made a thread about already).

it has been doing this since i got the computer which was a christmas gift from my brother.

my hardware specs are two dual core xeon 5160 cpus at 3.0 ghz, 4 gigs of ddr2 ram, geforce gtx 570, 850 watt psu, 740 gig hard drive,rocket fish sound card, windows 7 professional 64 bit.

2. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    2 cpus? filling out your entire system specs would help you with not having to post them every time too.

3. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    If your temps were poor before the fan blade broke then I don't suppose the fan blade is to blame but on the other hand:

a) fan blade was already wonky, that's why it broke off
    b) fan blade now off

both (a) & (b) might cause turbulence, leading to poorer air flow over the heatsink. Alternatively, the heat from the 570 might be adding to the heat to the nearest cpu, i.e. the hot air form the gfx card is being blown onto the hot cpu heat sink.

Sounds like a case airflow optimisation might be required. I'd check all that out before looking into more serious causes.

4. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    yes its a server motherboard. it has 2 cpu sockets.

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Like 54thvoid said, what case is it in? Could be not enough airflow as one of the factors, and 2, maybe the cooler (Heatsink) isn't up to snuff, but that's kind of hard to believe if its just stock coolers, should be fine if your not clocking.

6. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    that is what i have been thinking. i have another case. i am going to transfer my hardware from my current case to the new one to if it helps even though it only has one extra fan. i was able to balance out the fan by removing two more blades it works, its just spinning faster than before. temps are almost the same as before. there about 1 to 2 degrees higher on average.

and my 570 is about 8 inches from the cpu.

7. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Ah, ok. Well The54thvoid has the point I was going to make. You probable just need to get a new cooler. honestly I would consider a new mobo too, just to make your life much easier in the future.

8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    How would that make his life easier in the future? I think he needs to stop messing with the fans, and get 2 new coolers all together for the procs.

Capitan Harlock says thanks.
  9. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Its hard for me to believe that your temps are now only a degree or 2 off from before. You removed 2 blades and one broke.. So you have half the blades you originally started with? The fan is designed a certain way to be efficient. I think you started worrying about temps AFTER you broke off all the fan blades. Just my .02. Get a new HSF and replace it. come back and post results. If your still having temp problems then we will help more.

10. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    are the heatsyncs dust free with in the fins?

11. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    It would make his life easier because instead of buying 2 HSF, he could upgrade to a better mobo and cpu, A server board would be a pain in the ass to me. certainly being new to pc's. my .02

12. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    yea i was planning on getting a new heatsink when i had the cash. and i was checking temps before my fan broke. and i was getting almost the same temps before it broke. i broke the fan last friday. i have been getting high temps for almost two months. and i re applied thermal paste last tuesday and when i did the heatsink was caked with dust. i did clean all of the dust out of the heatsink and reapplied thermal paste it helped a little bit but not much.

is there anyway that the sensors could be bad? if the cpu was really running that hot wouldnt my pc reset itself and wouldnt i get bsods, crashes and other issues? thats what is really confusing me.

13. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    He probably has a reason to run 2 chips and a server grade motherboard. Work related, who knows. Im sure some better heatsinks will get rid of his temperature problem, and he wouldn't have to spend to much money on them anyways.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^

15. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Jesus, just looked up the specs of the 5160 Xeon, as I thought it was LGA775, and its actually just LGA771 and only a dual core.

OP: What do you do that you need 2 procs for? Or was it kind of a thing where you needed a system for whatever, and you got this one and just took it as it is?

16. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    im using two cpus because it runs faster than one and i can't afford to buy a single quadcore or a new pc atm and like i said before the pc is perfectly stable. i have just been trying to figure out if these temps are false or if they are accurate will it damage my system.

and one more detail i forgot to add. i used to live with my brother and i would use this system to game on. before it had a radeon 5850 in it. and it would often give a cpu overtemp error at boot if i would put load on the cpu (which it still does). i should have mentioned this before.

17. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Yea..... That is kind of a detail that would help us determine your problem. Like we said before, get a new HSF and report back. If you can take a pic of the inside of your PC and post it that may help too.

FYI, those 2 cpus are outdated and not nearly as fast as a single cpu in today's market.

Capitan Harlock and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    Keep your case on the desk top, why are you using speed fan, try Real temp(pretty sure you can get it here). No software will give you true readings. You can check the bios upon re boot to check after its been running a while. How did you clean the old tim off?What size TIM did you apply? you can google "how to apply tim to CPU"..........

19. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    Speed fan is un supported also...

20. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    I used isoprpyl alchohal to remove the tim. I put a small amount abd used an old credit card to spread it on the cpu. And then i put the heatsink on the cpu then puleed it off to make sur it was spread evenly before i mounted it.

21. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
  22. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    I did google it. that was the most commom one i saw. Could u give me a link?

23. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    The TIM size should be about the size of a grain of rice, AC has a nice walk through. google AC5 or....im on a phone cant add links(its to complex).
    as stated make sure you got good air flow, you may just add fans to your current setup.

24. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Stoggs, You don't need to "just add fans." You need to go buy a HSF and replace your current one. Reapply tim without lifting the HSF. come back and post results. I am done here.

25. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    When you spread TIM yourself on a CPU atleast it causes air bubbles to come up, which reduces the ability to transfer heat since heat gets trapped up in the bubbles.

Just put a dot of whatever thermal paste you have. Preferably AS5/MX4 then put the heatsink on without spreading the TIM yourself. then fasten down.

EDIT: Only problem with getting a new heatsink, is the fact there is near zero options, that will really help compared to what you have now since your running LGA771.