• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cpu usage jumping up and down

borden5

last 2 days i've noticed my cpu randomly going from 5-10-50-80-20-10% randomly at any given time,like when i open any program(almost everything close only open chrome ) it spiked and get lag till computer screen froze sometime, i open task manager and tried everything i could but i can't find the solution.Is my cpu dying ?motherboard failure ? maybe bad hdd or even dead ram stick. I tried clean it with malwarebyte and kaspersky rescue disk but nothing came up either.
here's my computer spec:
-core i7 920 @ default clock
-Wd 7200k 640gb
-nvidia gtx 560
-16gb kingston hyperx
-cooler master silent pro 850w
-dell studio xps 435tm motherboard
here's some ss

Can anyone pls tell me what's going on?
Appreciate it.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Dude, You have got, like, an insane amount of programs 'n stuff running in the background.
i.e. with that many background processes (some I know to be quite demanding at times, even when 'idling'), it is no wonder You get those spikes!

CaptainFailcon

Dude, You have got, like, an insane amount of programs 'n stuff running in the background.
i.e. with that many background processes (some I know to be quite demanding at times, even when 'idling'), it is no wonder You get those spikes!

not mostly system services

borden5

the thing is that i used to run way more programs like 2 games+ stream open on background np for like 3 years but this unstable usage suddenly came up.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
not mostly system services

/* I assume a ',' after "not" in that sentence You wrote. */

Not really a good argument:
1. "mostly" != "only"
2. it doesn't require a s***load of non-system services/apps/and_so_on to produce CPU spikes.
3. we don't see a good third of the list. Doesn't seem to be spiking at that particular moment the SS was taken, so some perpetrators could be "low-idling" at that moment and stay at the bottom unseen.
4. he has chrome running.
5. system services themselves can cause spikes if the conditions are right for that.

OT:
I'd try disabling most start-up apps (excluding those essential for the system to work).
Not launching anything. And then see if spikes still occur. Depending on the results, the further procedure would vary greatly.

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
Just watch task manager till it spikes again and see which process/es are doing it. I dont understand...

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Just watch task manager till it spikes again and see which process/es are doing it. I dont understand...

Make sure you check the all users check box in task manager, click on CPU twice to bring the highest CPU using process to the top.

It could even be a broken rookit masking itself as a service which Malwarebtyes and Kaspersky's AV can not detect or get rid of.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I noticed you have roughly twice as much RAM being occupied by Chrome as I do when running Iron, about 220MB vs 110MB. Now granted Iron is based on Chrome, but even without the Google built-in, I'm doubting Iron would typically use only half as much RAM.

Being as Google is part of Chrome, and Google is sometimes hacked by the redirect bug and can be a security risk having it built into your browser (the main reason Iron exists), I would try checking for a browser hijacker and/or resetting your browser settings to the defaults.

A pretty good tool to check for BHO exploits is HijackThis, and it's freeware. You can either post a zipped version of the log file here, or paste it into into their online analyzer, which is easy to use. One way to get a fair idea whether it's a browser exploit is in such cases the fluctuation usually only happens when your browser is open.

Though I use Iron, I ALWAYS have back-up browsers installed and ready to use, even though I rarely have to. They include Firefox, Opera and Explorer. Have you tried running an alternate browser to see if the problem persists?

HijackThis - http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Online Analyzer - http://hijackthis.de/

If you continue to use Chrome, I seriously hope you have a good AV, Firewall and ad blockers. I use Avast, COMODO, AdSweep and AdBlock. Lastly, check what progs are checked as startups in Start\MSCONFIG. If there's anything in there that looks suspect, disable it, reboot, then see how things go. If it's something you know shouldn't be installed, try uninstalling it. Revo Uninstaller is great for uninstalling programs and the traces they leave behind. There are others too, but it's one of the best I've used.

Last edited by a moderator:

borden5

I've been watching but the only thing that show up is System idle process using most but which doesn't make any sense
Make sure you check the all users check box in task manager, click on CPU twice to bring the highest CPU using process to the top.
It could even be a broken rookit masking itself as a service which Malwarebtyes and Kaspersky's AV can not detect or get rid of.

yeah i did check all users and sort cpu processing

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
System Idle Process is only the app that measures how much CPU you're using. Seeing high CPU use in it doesn't mean it itself is what's using up CPU cycles. It's just telling you the amount everything else is using.

Did you read my post on possible browser problems and security tools/scans? Worth checking into if you haven't. The first thing I do if I have severe performance fluctuations is run offline scans and check for browser problems. If you assume it's not malware and it in fact is, the more you keep going online, the more you risk your security being compromised.