1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU vs CORE temps???

Discussion in 'RealTemp' started by rogerw99, Sep 29, 2009.

1. rogerw99 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am running an ASUS P5Q Pro/Q9300/4GB ram/XP Pro/Sapphire 4850 1GB and I have run four different temp monitor programs and I get a huge difference between, what I assume is a general CPU temp and the four CORE temps. Can anyone explain the difference I'm seeing or is there some problem with the readings I'm getting from either side. Which is more correct & what can I do to correct it if this is not normal? If it is normal what do I believe to be true???

Speedfan - CPU=~32C/ COREs 0,1,2,3=~49C
    ASUS PC Probe - CPU=~32C
    Real Temp - COREs 0,1,2,3=~49C
    Core Temp - COREs 0,1,2,3=~49C
    Within the BIOS it only reports CPU=~22C (this I believe is due to the fact that the cpu fan is at max & no cpu usage at all while in the BIOS setup screen)

These temps are only approximate. I would have to double check them if anyone whats specifics.
    Thanks, any info is much appriciated.

2. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    The CPU temp you see in speedfan and asus probe is actualy the temperature of the cpu socket. The core temp is the actual cpu core. So thats the temp you should look at :)

3. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Coretemp and Realtemp measure just the core, which is honestly all you need to know. Core temps are usually about 10-15c higher than the socket temp. Are you using the stock cpu cooler?

4. kyle2020 Guest

Download realtemp, I find Coretemp is a but touchy with quad cores.

Also, at 49 degrees, id be right on my comfort line - anything over 40 is a bit scary for me (idle) but I usually idle at 26 degrees anyway. If you want recommendations for coolers, we'd be more than happy to assist :)

5. rogerw99 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those temps are at idle. Yes, I'm running a stock cooler. I'm not OCing. I just set the CPU fan to Turbo(max) in BIOS this morning in hopes of getting the temps down. I am using an Antec P180/Earthwatts 650 right now. I've grown to appreciate 'quite' over a jet engine blasting away under my desk. The wife likes it too, so "Quite" is now written in stone. In BIOS I've got the case fans set to Standard(~med). I sure would not mind a quite but superior CPU HSF. I do like Real Temp better than the others, But I also have a Logitech G19 and want to see the core temps while gaming on it's display and it seems the only program that kind of supports that(G15 really, but works on G19, very small to read) is Core Temp. Any chance of Real Temp getting G19 support? That would be a fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  6. rogerw99 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, and thank you all very much for the quick responses!!!

7. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    You can via RealTemp plugin for RivaTuner (for G15 though).
    Idle temps doesn't matter, especially for 45nm CPU's. Run 15 minutes of prime95 and see your load temps.