1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Waterblock Weight Effects Temps?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by m6tzg6r, Jan 27, 2013.

1. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
    My cpu waterblock is a koolance block, and it weighs 160g, but i see other blocks weigh 400g, and my 160g block dosnt get very good temps.

I have my i5 3570k at 4ghz, with 2xgtx680's, being cooled by 2x360 rads, and my gpu's load temps hardly reach 50 in high end gaming, so the gpu's are being watercooled very well.

But my cpu still gets gaming temps of 60ish degrees, 67 degrees celcius one time on a hot day while playing crysis 2. These cpu temps are kinda worse then what my old corsair h60 used to get, so i expected better temps with real watercooling, or are my 680's just adding too much heat to the loop, seeing their memory, vrm and core are all being cooled.

2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Depending on your ambient, those gpu temps aren't that great, either. I know you have an XSPC bay res on the bottom of your case, is it using the XSPC 750 pump? It would be inadequate for your loop to hit the standard one gallon a minute threashold. Your loop has a pressure drop of aroun 4.1 psi, and the 750 pump is only rated at 3.59. Check this out:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1108918/what-can-my-pump-handle-a-guide

With temps of 67 on the CPU I'd reseat the block anyhow, just to be sure. You'll hear it a bunch if you stick around, so I don't mind being one of the first to tell you to ditch the dyed coolant, too;)

3. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well this is the pump in my res http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_296&products_id=21315

I have ran it with the speed set to 3/5, and noise levels sounded okay, but did cause some vibrations to the case, so i set it to 1/5, and the temps hardly increased, but it is damn silent and cant cause vibrations, so even with the pump on the lowest speed setting, it still peforms well.

Also all my fans are on 5volt, i am a silence freak. So they dont move alot of air, but if i run them faster my case vibrates and i dont like the noise, and increased dust collection.

I did reseat the cpu block, and paste, but no magic cure came from doing that.

4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Your temps seem comparable to my loop if I run my yate loon highs at their slowest (about 900rpm). I just have a 2500k@4.5ghz and a 7970. You do have a lot more rad than my 80mm thick 240rad though which makes your temps seem high to me. Your top rad is getting already heating air too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Well, higher temps should be expected with the pump setting so low. I ran a 655 vario for a long time and there was a marked improvement in performance between pump setting 1 and 3.5. If it is vibrating your case you need to use more than the neoprene gasket that is provided with your pump. By the angle of your pump outlet behind the res it looks like maybe it's not mounted at all? If that's the case it can't be touching anything. I used to do something similar but have it resting on a thick piece of foam.

It looks like you have low fins per inch in your rads so your fan speeds should be fine, but the same theory applies. Use rubber grommets in between your rad and case. Do you always use your computer with the side panel on? You have a lot of air being expelled from the case with the orientation of your rad fans, they maybe starved for air. Granted, the 3570 runs a bit hotter than the 2500, but I have less rad surface in my loop and my cpu never goes over 50, and both my cards stay under 40.

Inconsequential.

8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    My 3770K hits 80c @ 4.3/1.175 on a Tt Water 2.0 Performer (case ambient is ~40c and I'm using a pair of Cougar CF-V12HB fans) and the temperature jumps around often by 10-20c in a few seconds when the load changes, so it might just be the processor itself and the crappy TIM they used inside since it is a 3xxx series.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
    My side panel is always off.

I tilted my pc around in many ways, to maybe help loosen up any air pockets, maybe it helped temps by a couple degrees, or maybe my room temp is cooler.

I notice the final piece of tube, going from the 2nd gpu to the res, can have bubbles in it, and i can see a bubble in it now, bouncing around abit, and when i power the system off, it rises and hides in the 2nd gpu block haha, and no matter how i tilt the case i cant get it to go away.

10. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I run a custom water setup with a Raza waterblock, 1 x Thermalchill 120.3 rad, 1 x 240mm Swiftech rad, MCP 655 3 x 7970's watercooled with 3770K and at 4.8GHz at 1.34 volts(1.308 with vdroop), I run 85 under load and high 60's low 70's gaming if this is any help. Somethhing is not right with your system. The 3550K runs cooler than 3770K.

Weight has no bearing on cooling since you use torque to set the block.