1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU'S For ASUS Z9PE-D8-WS

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by auen1, Apr 9, 2012.

1. auen1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, my first post on the forum. I am bit of a novice when it come to building computers,:), so any advice is welcome!

I want to build a CAD workstation. I have my eye on the new Asus Z9PE, (2011 socket). It looks to be a nice board. I am trying to find compatible CPU's. Two 4 core processors would be fine, I think. Would the Xeon E5-2643 work for me?
    Thanks!

2. LGV

LGV New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks to me yes, but did you consider the Xeon E5-2640 price looks same, 6 core and more cache
  3. sentient04 New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPUs for Z9pe-D8-WS

Go to Asus.com, United States (if that is where you are located) type in Z9PE-D8-WS then go to CPU support. It will list all approved CPUs. I just finished building one of these myself.
  4. auen1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys,

I went the Asus CPU support list page.
    Looks like only Xeon EP 6-8 core processors will work with this MB. Which is OK with me.
    The real reason I was looking at the 4 core was the higher frequency (3.3 GHz) for the same price as the 6 core EX-2640 (2.5 GHz).

Is the frequency something to be concerned with, regarding a workstation, (and maybe a little gaming on the side)?

Other notes.
    I have not figured how much/which RAM to get.
    I was considering the Radeon HD 7990 GPU.
    I would like this to be a 4-6U rackmount build.
    I have not figured out anything else.

Thanks again for all the help!
  5. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    multi threaded apps will love the extra cores (2x6 vs 2x4), and 2.5ghz should be enough for decent gaming, that and if i found the right cpu... the 6 core your looking at can do turbo boost up to 3ghz so that should be fine for games that don't use as many cores