1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crash to desktop...I'm baffled and new to forums but I need help with this one.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Bookerjoe, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Bookerjoe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ermmm...Yeah I just built a new pc made up of these parts....MSI k9a,AMD64 2x 5200+,Crucial ballistix 2x1gb pc5300,sapphire x1950 pro 512mb,2x120gb hd and 2x optical (oh and the trusty floppy) ... But I've been having probs with games crashing to desktop and coming up with an error with the game exe's...It happens to most my games but not all yet,happens mostly with need for speed most wanted,but hasn't happend yet to armed assualt or company of heros...Sometimes I can get through afew hours of game play before it happens or only afew mins...I don't know,I need help :p

2. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Do a spyware scan.
    2. " " antivirus " .
    3. Check other security utilities are problematic or not.
    3*5. Kill other unneeded processes in the task manager to see if one is causing this or not.Be sure NOT to kill the important ones :p
    4. Reinstall video drivers if 1,2,3 fail.
    5. Reinstall the game if 1-4, fail.
    6. Reinstall the os if 1-5 fail.
    7. If all fail, the game is screwed :p

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Ah, your problems are very likely to be caused by the following sources, in order of likeliness...
    • Underpowered power supply
    • Unstable drivers (get the latest versions of drivers for EVERYTHING you can find)
    • Overheating GPU
    • Bad install of operating system
    • Overheating system
    • Bad RAM
    Yeah, what power supply are you using, that could easily cause your crashes.

4. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    PSU can cause this too ??? didn't know this, never happened with me :rolleyes:

5. Bookerjoe New Member

Thanks Received:
    12v rail is 30a max so I'm guessing that could cause it...But I'm here to just to get an idea and to make sure...The PSU I'm guessing is a cheapy because it came with the case...Can't get the name of it right now but I'll give you a link to where I got the case and PSU from ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8011L-B3-Silv...ryZ51063QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Do you have any good ideas to test the ram??? and software to check all the temps???

6. watts289

Thanks Received:
    dont ever use a psu off of ebay, you can use the case , and some components, but psu could be bad, start, a fire, etc.

7. Bookerjoe New Member

Thanks Received:
    If thats the case then I better get that thing out of there quick...Do you know of any decent PSU's for my system???

8. Bookerjoe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the rest of the from neweeg,ebuyer,scan and crucial...I thought I may have to change the PSU but not for the fire sort of reason,lol

9. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    for a solid PSU i reccomend the hiper 580w's on newegg...awesome psus.