1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crazy Cooling Idea

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by a111087, May 19, 2007.

1. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I have somewhat crazy but might be a really good idea of how to cool your system better.
    This might be handy especially for those who love to overclock. We all know that even with a good air cooler you will get high temps. And switching over to water cooling isn't the most reliable or cheap thing to do.
    So, I wasn't sleeping for a few weeks! Yeah, I was thinking about the cooling. And I have came up with a very cool idea.
    Look at this slightly and poorly edited picture I've attached.

If you are still confused then here it is:
    The whole idea is to cool down the air inside the case as much as possible. The radiator goes on the ceiling of the case. By making two wholes you can take the tubes out side and add water. The cold water in radiator should go down and cool all the components. It's not super cooler, but it is a cheap way out.

For radiator you could use Swiftech MCR-220 Liquid Cooler Radiator (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108086).
    As for a case, Antec P182SE Silver Mirror-finished stainless steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129026) is a good example of what you need, but it is too thick so some other case with the same internal design will be good.

Well tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    me no likey water in pc case. bad things happen..

3. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you trying to cool just the air temps blowing into the case?

How are planning on circulating the water?

4. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    well, as long as water is still cold you don't have to worry about it. or you could buy a pump and connect it to the bottle of icy cold watter :)
    ~$50 to cool the whole system, i have not tried this yet and do not know how good or bad this could be, but i'm thinking about trying it out

5. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think it would work...
    It would cool down ambient temps, but then the cold water in the radiator is only going to go back to room temperature in 5 minutes anyway...

You would literally need an endless supply of cold water to cool down the air temperature, and since you dont have an endless supply of cold water and you DO have an endless supply of room temperature air, its not going to be very effective in changing the ambient (and subsequently the cpu/mobo/gfx temps) IMO.

Which means that it will still be air cooling components with room temperature air, which in turn defeats the purpose of the cooling system.
    Only in this case that the radiator prevents the use of the rear exhaust fan, so in fact temps may actually increase.
    Thats just the way Ive thought about it.

6. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    two words: liquid nitrogen.

7. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    another two words:

got cash? :p

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The other problem with this idea, besides the impracticality of keeping the water cold, is that condensation will form on your ice water chilled radiator, dripping water inside your case.

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just find an old air conditioner charge it up and put it and your pc by the window. Construct a duct tape, cardboard reinforced chamber from the A/C vent to the intake fan of your system. Turn your exhaust fan up! Dry cold air!:D Really, the key to your setup, would be to have it pressurized with a gas. You really can't come close to that with ice water, especially with a radiator that is supposed to radiate heat. Where are some good ol' copper coils when you need em?

10. Fusion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another idea might be to have a second radiator outside the case, and a pump. That way the radiator outside the case which will be cooled by a set of fans also, should cool the water as it is pumped between the two radiator.

The othe option is vegi-oil, I read something about being able to submerge the whole system in it :D

11. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    You might as well use regular watercooling then. You'd get better results.

You can submerge it, as the oil is non conductive and does not damage the components with impurities. However, thermally it sucks. Your system will at best be at room temperature, however, (correct me if im wrong here) a heatsink and fan would do a much better job of removing heat (because its more thermally conductive than the oil). Therefore your system will probably be at a constant but relatively warm temperature. Furthermore, the oil has to be changed every so often, as it goes all scummy and cloudy from not moving (so ive heard).

12. frankenchrist

frankenchrist New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are going to go through all the trouble to buy 3/4 of a liquid cooling system to cool the air just buy a waterblock and go all out.

13. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    you guys are not giving me an inspiration here! :)
    alright, the idea sucks, but how about another?

what if to place fans not on front and back , but on the bottom and on the top? Like three for each side!

14. frankenchrist

frankenchrist New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not a bad idea since heat rises but you would have to put your case on stilts.

15. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I must say, something I tried once worked out really well.. And its along you line of cooling the etire case.. I made a duct from the A/C vent in the floor next to my system, then attached it to the front of my case where the intake fan is... Very dramatic drop in temp, everywhere... Which led me to the Idea, as mentioned, a very small A/C unit( window or even in the house w/ drippan) and duct it the same way..That way you dont have to wait for the A/C to come on to Bench or play lol... But it works well..

16. Zeratul_uy

Zeratul_uy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you put some fans on the botom, the air wont circule, just if you put your case on some pilars to have the "space" under the case to let air move... i've personally cutted off my case, put 4 fans infront, 2 fans on the back and 2 on the side... that cools good, (21 processor Idle,35 loaded; 19 Mobo and 24 both HD)

The idea of the radiator is dangerous, it can drop water inside of your case and destroy your rig... also, on your drawings, you don't considered the PSU, where do you're thinking on placing it? Edit: i didn't saw that the PSU goes on the bottom of the case xD don't pay attention of that comment :p

You need to polish a little that idea, it could work, with some modifications

^^

17. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
  18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    How loud is it? I bet it'll be great on CFM's at low speeds, but at max speeds I bet it's as bad as a cheap box fan.

I like good cooling, but I don't want a to have a vacuum running on my desk next to my monitor. I think more 120mm fans spinning at 50-70% speed properly placed will be effective enough, at least for my likings. I'm not big on water cooling electronics, but there is more technology in heatsinks and heatpipes that will keep the air cooling competetive and cheap.

19. Zeratul_uy

Zeratul_uy New Member

Thanks Received:

That's what i'm talking about xD, cut the hole at the side of your comp, you won't need any other fan Bwahaha!!! xD

20. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    the noise is 52-60dBA, if you connect it to fan control you could decrease the speed till the noise is lower and you will still get huge CFM

21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yep that's true. Hope you don't live in a place where there's more average dust/dirt particles in the air...that'll be more fun for cleanup when it's more packed in to nooks and crevices from the higher cfm. But I like the idea of a larger low-spinning fan keeping everything cool, that would change the airflow dynamics of a case, but it would still be effective. Wonder if it would help to have all other case fans as output fans, or if keeping the fronts intake would change anything.

a1, you gonna get it?

22. Zeratul_uy

Zeratul_uy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it could work, just this one intake and the others exaust, you can even take out the GPU and CPU fans, that way the wind of this ULTRA fan will go directly... it could work... i think i'll try it \o/

23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well if I were you I'd keep the CPU and GPU fans unless you get heatsinks designed to be fanless. That large fan won't provide the more focused air flow that the OE fans on those heatsinks do, so you might do more harm than good, but it's worth a shot and you'll know pretty much immediately whether or not removing the fans off of those heatsinks and depending on the large fan will be good or sub-par. But switching all other case fans to exhaust could be good to match or come close to matching the intake of that massive fan.

24. Zeratul_uy

Zeratul_uy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that if i let the fans of the heatsinks, they'll wont perform as they do, it's suposed they take an air that is not moving, to throw it at the heatsinks, maybe the power of the Biggy can throw that air directly on the heatsinks and cool better, if it doesn't, Everest will tell, and the stock heatsinks fans will be placed at their place ^^

25. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    i would try to put one of these in Antec p180 in my next build (not soon)
    or if I will o/c my current built i will try it much sooner :D