1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pbmaster, Jun 27, 2007.

1. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    How is this card? I just bought one to replace my buggy and really old Live! and I was just wondering what you guys thought about it. I've read a few reviews saying it's not good for gaming with all the extra sound goodies turned on, but I just want a decent 24 bit card that's not worse than my current one for gaming. Thanks.

2. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    then it should be adequate

pbmaster says thanks.
  3. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I won't get a drop in performance or anything? That's what happened when I got one of the lower end X-Fi cards...I was angered to say the least

4. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    i use onboard....

5. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    The way my exhaust fan is and the Karajan audio for DFI boards I physically can't

6. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    how big was the drop in performance ?

7. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got one, best $28 I've spent on a cheep card. Beats the hell out of the '97 that came on the mobo. Got no prob with the games I play on the Audio end (lot of Dungeon Siege, Gothic 3, Call of Duty and such) , movies, music, what ever. Would I compare it to the $100 and up cards?! well let's just say that that dog should stay on the porch. But again, I think it's worth the $28 I spent on it at Wally World!

8. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh man Wally World!! That's where I got mine!! Back to the performance issue...it was really noticeable...I mean I could tell I was lagging it up

9. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    i thought they gave cycles back to the cpu...anyway teh quality on audigy se is ok..

10. bassmasta Guest

lol, I consider myself a master of computer audio, and I will say this.

buying a 25 dollar soundcard is like filling a pipe with mud and sticking your speakers at the opposite end. buy a razer or something if you like quality music, or any sound, really. but don't buy creative, I have a $300 fatal1ty elite gamer sitting in my pc, and while the sound quality is undescribable, the squeal of death is very irritating {check the creative forums, tech support won't admit this problem}

in fact, I have a 20 dollar soundcard.... stapled to the side of my old dell... in fact, I staple all of my defective or outdated computer components to this dell.... as soon as i get ahold of a decent camera, I will send pics, as I plan to sell it as art>.> { if you love you computer, put this in your sig, lol}

but seriously, don't buy cheap on sound. if you play bf2, an explosion will sound like a heavy rainfall. also, buy speakers relevant to your sound, $800 dollar, 7.1, thx/ dolby certified 700 watt speakers don't help much if you use a crappy sound card, and the same idea is true for high end sound cards.

11. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ummm thanks I guess...for one, I use headphones. Second, I have a even cheaper(free) Live! right now...this can't be any worse. I already bought it form Wally World anyway...I always have good luck with Creative...I have a Zen Touch 20 GB and I love that thing!!

12. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the question was about his Creative card, not how it compares to a $300 one with $800 speakers. My thoughts still stand, for a cheap card it's not a bad choice, for the money spent. I spent 7.8k stuffing my truck with 1,400 w rms total comined with high end Alpine, PPI, Audio Control, and MB Quart, I got my moneys worth on it. I also spent $28 on an Audogy SE, and feel equaly satisfied I got my moneys worth. Apples to apples, not Yugo to Ferrari.:D

pbmaster says thanks.
  13. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Download drivers for it. U can choose to to use 40khz instead of 90khz sample rate, to take of load on ur CPU, allso disable onboard audio. When in-game, play with the settings abit. I've seen some gain in games, for choosing hardware acceleration on/off. Allso the creative drivers upgrades the card to EAX 4.0

pbmaster says thanks.
  14. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    The card is fine for me in XP 32-bit, but XP 64-bit its horrible...I chalk it up to Creative's oh so wonderful driver support...but the sound will literally slooooww down. I can't reproduce that effect, it'll just happen at random times, at times when the computer is under load and other times when its perfectly idle. As for sound quality, when its working it sounds exactly the same to me as the XtremeGamer I have in another setup.

pbmaster says thanks.