1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative sues Apple

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, May 16, 2006.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So last year, Creative was granted a patent for a method that automatically organises digital music collections into categories (can you say "software patent"?). Apple has been using such a feature for a while, so Creative is finally letting their lawyers loose on Apple trying to stop it selling the iPod in the United States, and seeking damages from the firm for "willful infringement of the Zen patent".

Source: TheINQ

2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    if apples been doing it for years, creative can't do anything about it lol. also things like that are more specific than just categories i doubt creative patented it for the exact same way apple does it.
    not to mention the whole deeper pockets means better lawyers and apple has pockets much deeper than creative lol.

3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is about the column-style drill down interface most mp3 players these days use. Creative invented it, but has waited too long to pursue it.

4. Mad-Matt

Thanks Received:
    I doubt lengh of time to pursue will have much impact.

Look at the whole sony joypad and rumble motor case, that manafacture waited 5 years to pursue.

5. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I'm all for that :).

6. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    and then you can see the rise of a crappy mp3 market with nothing driving improvements either.

if you're happy with that 20gb mp3 zen, have fun, but I want my video mp3 player :D

7. Sandman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crappy mp3 players? Have you seen the new zen vision:m's? They're awesome. They even beat out the iPod at CES, winning both the best of CES prize in "mp3 and portable video" , and in "best in show". It has a better screen than the ipod video, and you can watch videos without losing so much battery life. Plus the sound quality is superior.(not surprising, since creative sells mostly audio products)

8. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    The iPod video weighs less and is thinner. Just because an mp3 player has an FM tuner doesnt make it superior. If you want songs from crappy FM radio, buy or download them. In my opinion the iPod screen quality is just fine for me. And about battery life, who really watches movies 4-5 hours straight without having access to a charger? I watch my iPod a couple hours every day at least and never have battery problems if i remember to charge it. Its not a big deal. Basically it comes down to quality over quantity. just because the zen:m has different colors, fm radio, and longer battery life doesnt make it better than the iPod video.

9. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    All you defend is how the Ipod isnt that great, just proving our point. 2 hrs isnt good enough for video, because once you watch a movie then there is no battery left to listen to music etc.

10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    crappy mp3 players? im sorry lets go over this

my mp3 player does not freeze
    i can recharge my battaries and then i can actually get to them
    i have a good color screen 256 thousand is plenty
    my 20GB zen is fine i will never fill 20Gb
    if i wanted to watch videos on my mp3 player id buy a small tv that shouldnt be what their for.

11. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ipod/Mac is a cult, you cant reason with them so dont bother. Like all good cults, they will drink the kool-aid someday ;)

12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    This is actually a pretty classic move that has been pulled off plenty of times in the past. A company developes something, then other companies start using it, then the original company patents it and extorts money out of all the other companies that are using it.

I see this ending with a settlement.

Oh and iPods have and always will be complete junk comparied to some of the other players out on the market for similar prices.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I just don't bother with MP3 players and use my CD player that plays MP3's. 50 CD's cost $20, the actual unit cost about $70, and my music downloading service cost $25. MP3 PLAYING CD PLAYER FTW!!!!!

14. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who watches full length movies on a portable mp3 player? Maybe tv shows that last less than an hour, but seriously how many times can you watch a full length movie. I use my ipod for video podcasts, tv shows, and other funny video clips. Maybe if you guys werent bums and sat on your asses for hours on end watching movies on a 2.5 inch screen, the battery would last longer.

15. Sandman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Uhh, when did I say it was better because it gets radio? In any case, the vision:m display offers more than four times the color of the video ipod (262,144 vs 64,000) It makes a huge difference, believe me. The ipod looks washed out in comparison. The player may be thicker, but I don't mind, since it prvides almost double the video playback time of the ipod.

Yeah, cause.. creative sux!!11!1 Seriously. Better compatibility, longer playback time with better quality, a better screen, a mic and radio, and free file conversion software. I think it's better. Oh, and it's 285 bucks on amazon.

16. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wait dont forget the shitty exuse of a player...i ****ing hate itunes!!!

17. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok si this maybe irrelevant to the actual topic of the article but i would rather i do have a creative zen. The 1st reason is, it is by creative, you know, the guys who build your sound cards! I would rather buy something from them because their whole buisness revolves around make things sound excellent. 2nd of all, no one ever has them. 2 out of 10 people will have a creative mp3 player and when they do, everyone always says how cool and how stylish they look and sag their heads when they look at their boring, run of the mill, crapPod. And size, big frickin' whoop its slightly bigger, it still fits in your pocket! 3rdly in my opinion they just look more unique and more stylish i mean the Zen Vision, WOW! Id rather buy something that sounds good instead of a status symbol! Oh yeh and they dont make that fucking clicking noise, i hate that!

18. Sandman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually they do. They're just an option to turn it off(which I do).

19. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:

more like stylish and simple, aesthetically pleasing piece of art

20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If you like plain white boxes, then sure I guess you can call it stylish and art.

Function>>Form

All I care about is that it fits in my pocket, and there aren't many players out ther that don't. So I could really care less if the iPod is slightly thinner and weights slightly less. It also doesn't provide anywhere near the features as other players, and costs more.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  21. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Zen is alot better

23. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    True dat
    Zen Vision:M supports-
    DivX 4 & 5, XviD5, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9, Motion-JPEG

PWNAGE! Im getting one.

Ipod Video supports:
    .m4v, .mp4, .mov

:laugh:

24. Sandman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nobody buys stuff direct from creative dude. Apple sometimes, but I have yet to meet the person who ordered their soundcard/mp3 player/speakers/etc from creative's website. I sure didn't.

25. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    exactly! Plus everyone has them! Plus they act like they are all LEET because they have one:banghead: