1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Critique my build please

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Energizer Bunny, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Energizer Bunny New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All

I'm looking for advice on a new gaming rig I'm putting together please. I have some existing components but most of the major stuff is new:

New
    CPU: Core i7 4770k 3.5hz
    Mobo: Asus Maximus Hero VI
    Ram: 16gb G Skill Trident X DDR3 2400
    GPU: PNY GTX780 3gb
    Case: Nzxt H440 Steel White
    CPU Cooler: Nzht Kraken X40

Existing
    SSD: 2x 250gb
    HDD: 2x 3tb
    PSU: 620w Corsair

So what do you guys think?

I know a few people with suggest the 290 for a GPU but I'm in the US and they are ludicrously expensive vs 780s here and I can't really see that the performance justifies the extra cost.

I also wonder about my PSU. I think it should be ok as I wont be doing any SLI type stuff.

Thoughts welcome and thanks in advance

2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    cant see any issues, It all looks good to me, if the psu has done more then 4 years already i might try and get a new one if i were you, just to be on the safe side , its a good make but regardless of the brand components wear and i have personally had 2x corsair psu die on me a 850Tx and a 550Vx(cx maybe) due to being run hard for a few years (folding@home 24/7) i replaced them with a corsair and a be quite psu.

I personally wouldnt want to risk popping a lot of new gear.

More than 25k PPD
  3. Energizer Bunny New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm. You may be right. Any suggestions on PSUs?

4. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    id have to suggest another corsair or a Be Quite as the quality ,warranty and stability of those two brands are good, I also would suggest something in the same wattage range 600-800, seasonic are also a top notch Psu manufacturer,.

not very specific but im at work so short and sharp it is.

oh, also if there is even a slim chance of you Sli'ing or doing some heavy overclocking i would go with a high wattage single rail unit as they work out to be far more stable, and future proofing now could save money later.

More than 25k PPD
  5. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Get a custom cooled R9 290 their faster than the GTX 780. And for a PSU get a 650 Seasonic everything else is fine.