1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cross fire setup

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by lordjohn, Aug 19, 2012.

1. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    I am on 8120 fx990 with 16gb of 1600mhz ram, power enhance 80+ 600w,
    I have a gf460 1gb on it,
    now I just bought 2 6850,
    how should i cross fire
    should I install one 6850 and setup the drivers, then install the second one
    or should I install two at the same time and setup the drivers

thanks
  2. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I think both ways should work, but if you want to have the least hassle I would just put both of them in them right away and then uninstall the nvidia drivers and install the AMD ones.
    lordjohn says thanks.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Install both at the same time so the driver gets installed for both devices at once. Any of those methods should work, but I put both in right off the bat (I have 2 6870s.)
    lordjohn says thanks.
  4. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

should I remove nvidia driver first?
  5. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    yes
  6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    You can install all the cards you have and then install the drivers for both SLI and Crossfire with out issues. Back in the day that was not the case however since XP SP2 or SP3 you have been able to do that if I remember correctly. Either way I know it works no matter what on WIndows Vista/7 and modern video cards.
  7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    People still have headaches when switching between Graphic Chip series and Makes.

NV to AMD or vice versa

or say going from a 6770 to a 6970

or 560TI to 580 GTX.

it is always recommended to remove drivers manually first using the uninstaller in control panel then using a driver remover such as driver cleaner pro and driver sweeper, then going in and finding remnants and removing them.

Now I havent had any issues installing drivers ontop of a prev version, but I believe it is because the configuration of the machine hasnt changed at all since I built this one (Bros Machine not the signature rig)

Yes Definitely remove the Nvidia drivers, but before you do get the driver cleaner pro and driver sweeper, and the AMD 12.4 or 12.6 or 12.8 drivers, disconnect the internet cord from back of computer, create a system restore point, remove the Nvidia driver through the control panel and that is all NV graphics card related crap- run driver cleaner pro and driver sweeper, go in and find any remnant directory for drivers even if it means the registry. Power down the machine, remove the Nvidia card. Plug in your AMD cards, power up and install the drivers.
    lordjohn says thanks.
  8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    But since Windows 7 coming into view you can theoretically not have this problem. Since with windows 7 you can run a Nvidia card and a AMD card in the same system, at the same time, for different purposes. I am not sure the technical reason as to why, but I have seen several systems as of late running a HD 6970 or HD 5970 for gaming while using a GTX 480/580 for folding on the same system. This includes both sets of drivers installed on the same machine.... the only difference I think is when they want the Nvidia card to work or AMD card to work they switch the monitor connection to get the benefit from that card.

Again I am not sure why this works or how exactly they are doing it.... but I have seen it and I know it doesn't cause as many problems as it used too.

But if you are switching from one brand to another permanently..... it is still the best idea to uninstall the drivers, then clean your drivers, and then install new drivers.
    lordjohn says thanks.
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    You have to realize he is changing the configuration to Crossfire, the NV card is in the primary PCI E slot PCI E 0/1, you will have to reposition that card to another spot and way drivers work is they are assigned to a specific memory address and interrupt request. So that NV driver is tied to that specific spot on the motherboard, putting a diff card in now can cause Conflicts. if He decides he needs the NV card for Folding or Even Physx, install the crossfire config first then install the NV card.

Ive seen this happen with USB devices. Yes Bear in mind ive seen a rare few machines where you never had to uninstall the drivers but why risk all the headaches and a machine that isnt performing like it did before the changes

10. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    6850 CF only 60fps

I am not sure if my 6850 CF is working, any way to check that?
    in future solider 6850 CF is at 30-40fps at all max setting @1080
    when 460 is at 18-28fps

in crysis2 6850 CF is at 8-60fps at all max setting @1080
    when 460 is at 28-30fps

why 6850 CF have a such low fps at crysis 2, version 1.9
  11. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    any way to check CF working?

is there any way to check if the CF is working? crysis 2 ver1.9 perform even worse than my old 460, 6850 CF low fps only at 8 but max fps at 60, where my old 460 low fps at 28, max fps at 30.
  12. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    In order to see if crossfire is working, you can do multiple things. However, before you do anything, check wether in AMD catalyst control centre the box with "crossfire" is ticked.

If you want to check wether crossfire is enabled or not, the most easy way is probably running GPU-Z. It should report crossfire being enabled or not.

I'm not really sure why your FPS would be so low at its lowest, but perhaps its a one time event(since you reported the max FPS being higher).
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    try this:

[​IMG]

enable the status icon, will show up in apps when CFX is active.

Attached Files:

• cfx.jpg
      cfx.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
    lordjohn and Mathragh say thanks.
  14. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
  15. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

In catalyst cross fire is marked, but not in gpuz
  16. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    In gpuz, switch to the secondary card (bottom left corner) and it should say crossfire enabled. You can always do a bench like 3dmark11 with it enabled and then disabled, comparing fps and scores.
    lordjohn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ive noticed certain areas in games dont need 60 FPS to run fine, other areas you do.

lordjohn says thanks.
  18. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

I tested it with 3dmark 11, 6300 for overall, 6800 for gpu score, where 460 give 3500 for gpu score.
    www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4176788
    since this is my first CF, after i install catalyst, do I need to install catalyst CAP as well?
  19. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

any idea of monitoring the temp of the second card?
    HW monitor only shows main card
    HIS turbo can show both card but don't make any record of the max temp

Thanks
  20. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
  21. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest getting the latest CAP. You can use 2 instances of GPUz to monitor temps of both cards. MSIab used to show the temps of both cards, should still. I believe in both GPUz andmsiab you can log to file the activity too.
    lordjohn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

Thanks
    I install CAP, now the only game that I was not able to play at max setting with 460, Tom's future solider gets a fps from 35-60, I can play the game swiftly, I will try with gpuz and log the file, from speed fan, my second card getts max 80c when at full load, first card at 75c.
    cause second card is almost at the bottom of the case, air flow is not very good.

Thanks everyone for the kind help, CF works now, 2 6850 cost almost same as my 460, but it is much faster.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012