1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by (FIH) The Don, Feb 10, 2010.

1. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    ouch, that sucks bro, i hate RMA'ing stuff, and now it happened to both your cards :banghead: kinda annoying imo
    hope its overquick though and that they send you one of their high end 4890:D

o_O very nice rig there bro, you should be able to go higher on the core, but then again, its 2 different cards, so they might attack each other when you try it haha

oh boy, im joining my own club again soon, just got a 5770 HIS card with fullcover EK block, should be getting another within a month :rockout:

sorry for the quality, celly pic

[​IMG]
    20mmrain says thanks.
  2. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I a fairly sure I will be able to go higher as well.... although I am just trying to figure out what would be my best option for doing so.

Right now I am considering two different options.

1st one is to do a hack on MSI Afterburner and take control of a file that will allow me to by pass the CCC limit.

2nd option is Flash my reference card with an unlocked BIOS and my Sapphire non reference card with the Sapphire Toxic BIOS. I should be abel to do that because from what I understand both cards use the same PCB (The toxic and regular 1gb Sapphire cards)

While the first option Is not permanent.... I think it might be safer.

So I will probably go with that one.

Thanks for the compliment though bro. :toast:

WTG on the new Buy!!!
    (FIH) The Don says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Flash your cards man, it's sooo much easier. Just do one at a time with just one card in using AtiFlash in DOS. I love running my cards at 950/1200.
    20mmrain says thanks.
  4. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I really am considering.... I just honestly have ever flashed cards before. I just tried the Hack on MSI afterburner to take owner ship of a file so I can clock past the CCC limit.

But that way doesn't seem to like Crossfire very much. It makes my screen freeze up then and I have to reboot.

So flashing looks like my only option.

It's not that bad is it? Also you think a 1GB thumb drive is big enough to do. Otherwise the only other external drive I have right now is a 250GB WD Pocket drive. Sice that is a real Hard drive I don't trust doing it with that as much.
  5. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    its pretty easy even i managed to flash my cards first time no issue with the help of DTV Dragon to some MSI unlocked bios and i run my cards 850/1000 stable 24/7 for no noticeable heat difference
    20mmrain says thanks.
  6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    That's a very nice increase.... that is almost like having a couple of 5870's in your case.

You guys have talked me into to it. I think I might return the Sapphire non reference card (because still with in it's 30 days) For a reference card( That way safer to flash it) then flash the cards.

I wouldn't mind running them at 850 or 950 core clock :)
  7. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    well if you have 2 of the same cards you have better chance of running higher speeds on them without hickups, but thats just imo
  8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Well I heard that too..... The way I understand it is..... all reference cards are the same. The companies just put their stickers on it to make it theirs. Originally they are all made from ATI is that correct?

Because if that is the case..... then if I get another Reference card..... it wouldn't matter if it is Sapphire/HIS/ATI OEM/XFX/ Exc....
  9. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    i think thats the case,

allthough i heard that MSI uses better components, so i reallt dont know if its all true

i just think its the design that ATI made, then the companies can use what memory chips, v chips etc they want
  10. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I didn't think of it that way. That is very plausible too. Either way though.... if they are the same PCB design.... then you flash with the same BIOS. It should make it pretty close to the same card.

***Umm not really*** After thought........ Because if MSI and other companies really use better components. Technically you should be able to clock them higher then others .... regardless of what BIOS you use. But still the same BIOS would help out some what. <----- BTW sorry was talking to myself. I tend to do that LOL

Thanks for your help bud. :toast:
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if its reference its reference. its 100% the same as ATI's specs in all ways.

if its non reference it can be better or worse than reference... usually worse, at a higher price tag.
    20mmrain says thanks.
  12. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. :toast:
  13. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    ok guys im joinin the green team sorry :) if anyone wants a cheap 4890 with fc block or without whatever hit me up or check my fs thread out :)
  14. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    meh

thats okay, im sure you'll be back one day, :D

what card did you get?
  15. ny_driver

ny_driver New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll take those full cover blocks. They should make my 4890s very happy. :pimp:
  16. erocker

Thanks Received:
    For some of you who don't like 10.6 cats. These are the best CrossFire drivers I've used for my setup. They are no longer available (I couldn't find them anyways) on AMD's site. I've uploaded them and here they are. Catalyst 10.4a http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XOOKP0NS
    DannibusX and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
  17. ny_driver

ny_driver New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just bought another reference 4890, so I'll try 3 x 4890 on my Crosshair IV. :toast: I wish I had 3 waterblocks though.
    (FIH) The Don and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  18. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's awesome. Save up and grab another block dude :rockout:
  19. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    :eek: sounds nice bro:D

but yeah, another wb would be good,

and its even better that you have water on the 2 others, cause they get a tad hot in CF on air :laugh:
  20. =TWP=WOLF

=TWP=WOLF

Thanks Received:
    Hi Mates!
    Soon I'll become a "CrossFire-Man" too [​IMG]

[​IMG]WOLF.
  21. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    the ones in your system specs?
  22. Glazierman

Glazierman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Video Blues again need some help!!

Hello everyone, I hope I'm in the right place for this Question ?? I flashed both my black edition 5970's used flash drive and loaded new bios was succsessful. tried to install newest drivers 10.6 cant load cant find inf. files used driver cleaner first, called AMD online chat said was some other's with same issue went back to old drivers loaded succsessful but, now I cant play BF2 game loads and gets to opening of game and freezes and just makes a hummm??? also just got update on BF2 also right before the bios flash Thanks for any help checked diognostic for crossfire and no problems the reason for bios change was to manually change fan speed which works now LOL. I can play Call of duty with no issues also and Thanks again.:banghead: also just completely reloaded BF2 from scratch made no differance still crashes??
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Follow this guide: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502

Also make sure to uninstall all instances of Microsoft Visual C++ from the Control Panel. For CrossFire I would use Catalyst 10.4a's, they have been great. I uploaded them here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XOOKP0NS

Once the new drivers are installed, you may want to install Microsoft Visual C++ from Microsoft, but in most cases when you launch a game (with Steam for example) it will automatically install.
  24. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    you mind me implementing that with linky's in #0?
  25. ny_driver

ny_driver New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't she beautiful? Just got her today, gonna strip her down and put a sexy waterblock on. ;)

Going back to Crossfire today, for the first time on my new system. :toast:

Pictures later today.:pimp:

Still waiting for sapphire to send me an RMA# for my other sapphire :wtf: it should be instant after submitting proof of purchase. I think Tri-Fire is going to be completely unnecessary, but I'll still give it a shot.

FPS is already nuckin' futs with a single 4890 in there.

Attached Files: