1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire Enabled With a Non Crossfire Card(Yes its wokring)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Kilandor, May 5, 2013.

1. Kilandor New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, yes clearly I made a stupid mistake and bought non crossfire card to go with my crossfire card.

This is my original card is a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition Crossfire
    The new Card MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz non crossfire.

Now forgive some stupidity here as I haven't used crossfire since my Uber Edition cards.

So I seen the Crossfire, enabled it ran benchmarks, checked usage, looks all good improved performance. So I decide to update drivers to 13.4, but I lose the crossfire option. After looking around and checking things I see the issue I have non crossfire card. I try Beta 13.5, no go 13.2 beta 7 no go. No crossfire options. However I can go back to 13.1 and I can enable Crossfire. Now along the way I notice I put my card wrong slot, move it to the 16x slot, I was in 4x. I test again crossfire enabled same result much more performance gain (obviously over 4x slot). I show GPU usage for both as I should, Afterburner shows results of like 1.9GB Vram being used. GPU-Z shows Crossfire Enabled 2 GPUs

So I don't know how, or why. But its clearly working. The performance gains can't be denied by benchmarks when either card alone cannot perform that high.

The only drawback is OpenCL is not working properly.

Any thoughts etc? I can upload some screenshots/photos later if I need if there is disbelief.

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What makes you think you bought a "non CrossFire card" ?

3. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    There no such thing as a non crossfire addition. All ATI Radeon 7770s support crossfire, infact all dedicated video cards for almost a decade support crossfire or SLI as standard.

To answer your question. Go back to v13.1, the beta drivers are experimental so expect imperfections.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I think he might mean that one has a CFX connector and one doesn't.

Last I heard though, the 77** series didn't actually require a crossfire bridge to run in crossfire. It's the bigger more beefy cards that need it iirc. There was a thread about this like a half a year ago or so and this sounds pretty familiar.

Dent1 says thanks.
  5. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    Aquinus says thanks.
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
  7. Kilandor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well 13.4 is stable, and did not let me enable it either. But yes I went back to 13.1. Just OpenCL isn't working so I can't fold. I (think) it was maybe working when I first set it all up before I updated drivers. But once I updated I know for sure it was not working when I go back. I know before with 1 card it was working.

Well this is the card I bought. It has no bridge.
    MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 1...

Now see this is why I didn't bother checking. My first 7770 had a bridge. But I had heard its not needed anymore, so that was why I never thought to check.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  8. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    That could be the issue. The drivers are getting confused because 1 card requires a bridge and the other doesn't. If v13.1 is working I'd leave well alone. Maybe when v13.5 is released revisit the situation.

9. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    its amazing what loop holes we can find with tech! we need some software guys to write some drivers that allow us to go against the normal operations!!

and if its working with performance increase ! congrats!

10. Kilandor New Member

Thanks Received:
    After having ran this for a while I have noticed mixed performance. In most cases I can see clear performance gains with crossfire enabled. It seems though in rare cases performance may be worse.

Dent1 says thanks.
  11. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    What is your full system specification? If your processor is old or too weak the benefit of CF won't be realised.

12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Since 3870s maybe earlier linkless xfire has been possible using ati tray tools and going into its hardware tweeks settings and enableing linkless xfire afaik ,I did try it back in the day but found no benefit and haven't really needed it but I thought id mention it anyway:).

More than 25k PPD
  13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget about the runt frames issue with AMD cards at the moment, which reduces performance. New drivers are expected to finally fix the problem once and for all.

VIDEO Look at this first if you're not familiar with this - much easier to understand.

14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Don't see any connector there.

Probably has something to do with a feature in your M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard...

Aquinus says thanks.
  15. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    He is running a 7000 series, I'm running an ancient 5000 series and haven't experienced any CF performance related issues.

16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand, it affects all CF implementations, but the 7000 series took the biggest hit?

17. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Don't ask me, I haven't experienced any performance hit big or small.

I think there is a lot of anti ATI propaganda around the internet in regards to drivers. I only believe 10% of it, of that it's isolated issues which were probably resolved ages ago but are still being told as if its an ongoing issue.

18. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I keep hearing conflicting stories about people's experiences with AMD cards, so there must be some truth to both. All I know is that I used to see annoying niggles with my graphics cards, then I switched to nvidia in 2009 and I've had almost no problems since.

If AMD works for you, then I'm glad. If nothing else, it means that there's competition in the marketplace to bring customers better graphics cards at lower prices.

Dent1 says thanks.