1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

crossfire fan/heat/fit question (5770)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by shevanel, Dec 13, 2009.

1. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this particular 5770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161310

and I have ordered another which will be here Monday.

i am a bit concerned though. I am wondering if the top card of the xfire config is going to get burned up because it seems the pcb of the bottom card is going to suffocate the fan on the card above.

I've never ran a multi gpu setup so I've no experience in the issues I'm going to face so if someone can make some suggestions on either aftermarket coolers or comments on how you think the issue I'm concerned of will affect the setup I would be appreciative.

Thanks
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    top cards tend to run 5-10C hotter, but it shouldnt have any real issues.

5770's arent hot running cards, so there should be no problems.
    shevanel says thanks.
  3. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I was thinking and was hoping someone would say the same thing to confirm.

You did exactly that, thanks!
  4. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    To me the 5770s are MUCH cooler running that the 4870s (when I had them they radiated a ton of heat)

I use exclusivly SLI/Crossfire and always pick mobos that have a bunch of space between the cards because of that. Since you have less space ur gonna have to work with what you got and using the 5770s was a good choice.
    I notice mine run at 50% of fan speed, are almost silent and run in the upper 30-low 40C range. If I turn up the fan the temps drop to the upper 20lower 30 range (but the fans are LOUD) I have these 5770s
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447

As long as you have a decent supply of air to them you should be fine. Make sure air is getting to them and that the heat can go out somehow. To me its not enough to just pop cards in and go, they have fans but just suck in warm surrounding air that spit it all around and recirculate it.

So I like to put a slow 120mm fan in the lower front to supply cool outside air to the GPUs than I remove all the slot overs so the heat can exit the back
    shevanel says thanks.
  5. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'me using a HAF 932 and fans are constantly moving air through the case. Hopefully that'll be enough. All the pci slots are vented and there are 2x230 mm fans blowing right towards the center of the mobo. I've even inverted my psu and added a 120 under the case to draw air from the psu and case temps have been down 4-5c on average

thanks for the info
  6. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty fussy about airflow (I make my own cases to optimize it) but a few easy things can make any tower nicer.
    Post a pict of the side, that would help a lot.

The 5770s are a very good choice, especially since in the last few mos ATI has really improved the drivers
  7. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Take a pic of the side of the case?
    MKmods says thanks.
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My 5850's are idling at 29c right now @ 30% fan and it's about 20c in here. Neither card really gets hotter than the other. These are by far the best stock coolers ATi has ever made. In your motherboard the lower card may get a bit hotter as the PCI-E slots are somewhat close together. Still plenty of room for airflow though.
    shevanel says thanks.
  9. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  10. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I would check the temps as is than I would reverse that side fan and see if there is a dif.
    how about inside now..
  11. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    mussels called it perfect. about 10c diff.

man these things are so close together.. bothers me a little.

It is rather warm today in sunny fla and my windows are open so no A/c and the top card hit low 70's during a xfire test on furmark...

this is how close they are

[​IMG]
  12. _geek_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know it's an old thread but since this thread is about 5770 CF temperature problem, I might as well hijack it :D. So the issue I was experiencing is that the shaders on the second GPU get a lot hotter than the shaders on the first GPU. So to put it into perspective let the pictures talk:

GPUs idle:
    [​IMG]

GPUs 15min furmark stress test:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rig setup:
    [​IMG]

Components:
    Antec 300 (4 fans - two 120mm fornt intake | one 140mm + one 120mm outake)
    Rampage Formula
    Sapphire 5770 CF - no OC
    TRUE 120 on q6600@3.6GHz
    Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Corsair TX 750W
    Ambient room temp 22°C

I know that the second GPU is starved of cold air by the PSU fan but my question would be if anyone know where is this shader temp sensor located or which part of the graphics card should be cooled additionally for the upcoming summer. Cause other than that the temps of the GPUs are almost shocking identical :D