1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire not working for two XFX 4850

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ASRockIQ, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    what gives? i've tried uninstalling the Drivers and reinstalling. Took out both Cards and made SURE that the Switch Card for my Mobo was inserted correctly and that a 4Pin Molex was connected to the 4Pin Connector on my Mobo. Switched the two Cards around and still the same results. It couldn't be my PSU It should be powerful enough.

The only thing i haven't tried is trying out another 4Pin Molex Connector.

O... and i also made sure both the CF Cables were inserted correctly. they aren't loose.

Edit: also, now that i switched the Cards around they blink about 4 times and i don't know what that means. the first card in the primary slot seems to run fine. the second card's Fan doesn't seem to be running 100%

Update: ok, now with these two cards in my BIOS upon POST states it felt to Boot or start-up? WTH!?
    Update: ok, i have taken the Card out and put it back in it's proper box. It's not the card. It may just be my PSU not giving enough power. that's same really.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone? Does it seem that i need a new/better PSU?

3. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    So what's happening? Is it booting? Are you in Windows?

Have you tested each card individually and verified that they both work?

4. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i can boot in Windows and both cards work fine. I am actually using the second card in my PC. As i said before, when i had both CF they would blink 4 times. I'm at work but i'll get back to this when i get home. Note: my Mobo has a SLi/CF Switch card and i already made sure it's connected properly

5. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    it has come clear my PSU isn't giving the power for two 4850 so i am investing in a new PSU. never had any isssues with Rosewill and been using their PSUs for sometime now.I THIS ONE seems about right.

Edit: Actually, my limit is $110 on a PSU. has to power two 4850 1GB

Update: THIS Antec PSU Looks Nice!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Here is where you can find what ATI says will work.
    I know before MIR this CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU would be barely above the $110 limit but they are very good from what I have read.

7. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    one question: should the second card's Fan be speeding slow then the main primary one? i get 5 blinking red lights. as before again, Windows vista didn't detect my second card (should the OS detect in?) and neither did CCC. i want to make SURE it's my PSU because i don't want to spend the extra $$$

8. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Ok, these blinking lights... Are they on the cards? And yes, the OS should see both cards.

Does the fan on the 2nd card ever slow down?

I wouldn't put the blame on your PSU just yet. Are the 4850's on different 12v rails? Check your manual to see the distribution of rails. Your two graphics cards should be on different rails.

If you decide to get a new PSU, I have a Antec NeoPower 500. It's modular and powered my OC'ed Q6600 4830 Crossfire system just fine. I'd still be using it today if I hadn't found such a great deal on a larger one. And I'm in Greensboro which looks to be ~2 hours away from you.

9. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    1. The fan speed in "auto" mode are controlled by the Catalyst Control Center, and it depends on how hot they are...so yes, it is *possible* that they will run at different speeds...

2....having said that, the temp in your case is the temp in your case, so while they may run at different speeds, I can't imagine the difference would/should be noticeable.

It sounds like for whatever reason the second card is not getting enough juice. Do you have the 6 power cable plugged into it?

Try booting with just 1 card in the bottom/secondary slot, if your mobo will allow you to.

If you can boot with 1 card in *either* slot, then it almost has to be a power supply problem. What kind of amps does your PSU output per rail? Swap out the 6 pin power cables going to the card too, to make sure it's not a fault in the cable...

>EDIT< About the blinking lights...I'm assuming that you're talking about one the card itself? My ASUS cards have 2 LED's each. One lights up on boot, then goes off...and one is an overtemp light. You'll have to hunt down what the lights mean on the XFX website.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  10. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    2< of course i had the 6Pin connected. idk if my Mobo will allow this because of the SLI/CF Switch Card. though it couldn't hurt to try. my PSU has a rating of 22A per Rail. it has two Rails btw. i really do think it's the PSU. the PSU is only SLI certified but does that really mean anything?

11. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    SLI certified doesn't mean that much. It's not like your PSU will work with a SLI setup and not a CF setup. I think the SLI certification speaks more about the quality of the PSU... that it's good enough to meet nVidia's standards.

12. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    one stupid question...you do have a crossfire bridge installed on the cards dont you?? sorry to ask but all ive seen you mention is that youve played around with the motherboard crossfire switch. you still need a crossfire bridge to run in crossfire

13. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just submitted a support ticket via XFX. i hope they can answer, the guys over at the AMD forums via ATI.com says it's my PSU not providing enough power for the Second Card but then why would my First Primary* Card work like normal?

Lol, yes of course dude. i actually have two connected!

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well bummer....

are you running the most recent bios for you mobo??

it could be that the Rosewill aint enough to power everything. Ive heard that they make pretty decent PSUs

15. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    they do make decent PSUs but here on the specs. of the PSU on the 12V Rails it's max Power is only 480W which XFX says for the two cards to have at least 550W on the 12V Rails. this was my mistake to not looking at those specs.

16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    time to get a new PSU then ;)