1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire on G34/C32 Motherboard (AMD only)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by eidairaman1, Mar 14, 2012.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Does this exist on those boards and at what level. I was thinking of saying screw it to the desktop grade parts and going to server grade parts.

2. NanoTechSoldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you wouldn't use Crossfired Radeon HDs etc.. You would be using Crossfire Pro AMD FirePro (FireGL 3D) Cards on Server/Workstation boards etc..

They can handle the multi-processor outputs etc.. And you can't use the AMD FX-8150 either..

If you want the Server Quality components, You'll pay the Server Price... About, $3500 for a Professional Graphics Card.. Ati FirePro V9800 etc...

Bet The Ati Radeon HD 7970 Price, Is looking good now huh..??

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't make sense, but if it did, the C32 would perform better because Valencia has higher clocked CPUs. Not a whole lot of games can handle that many cores anyways. It simply doesn't make sense to use server hardware for a gaming rig. Also good luck finding support for crossfire as well, or even a full 16x PCI-E slot to use on a server board for that matter.

Simple response: Don't waste your money unless your planning on doing something very specific that you need this kind of hardware for.

4. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Avoiding the debate of the value of the system, yes, CrossfireX should work in any modern system that has the slots to support multiple cards.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thread cleaned. Any more flaming will be 'rewarded'...

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  6. NanoTechSoldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I will say again.. Seeing how it was deleted..

I agree, with Aquinus, in saying; Crossfiring FireGL Cards, on a Server/Workstation MB, is realistically, not viable for gaming purposes etc..

Their Sole purpose, is for Multi CPU/Multi-Threaded programs, like AutoCAD or AutoDesk Software etc..

They Might, make the games with Server Grade Components etc.. But, the final product (ie. Game), won't support the specific drivers associated, with the Professional Crossfire Pro Cards & the software, that creates the game etc..

Any game updates, would be useless to you, running Pro GC's.. As the Patches/Drivers are designed for Desktop Gaming Setups..

Hope that's clear enough...

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Well I was seeing if thread handling could be split for a server for running the game as the server and plus be able to play the game at same time. I was just also seeing what boards would be available to run Crossfire that are Dual Processor capable. Also for those who dont know the FireGL V9800 and Fire Stream 9370 is the same as the 5870 other than the v9800 and 9370 having 50MHz Less Ram Speed and the V9800 and 9370 coming with either 2GB or 4 GB GDDR5.

I never did say anything about running a workstation graphics card, just the CPU and Motherboard. However what I said above, technically with right bios and drivers Radeon 5870 2GB can be Converted into a FireGL V9800 2GB or Fire Stream 9370 2GB, and vice versa. 4GB Version is its own monster.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It has the resources to do it, but your performance is going to be lacking just because how low interlagos is clocked. Valencia's highest offering may give you similar performance as AMD's FX-8120 at stock speeds, but all in all, it isn't worth it if you're planning on gaming regularly. It really wouldn't pay off and you can't over-clock or anything.

If you did, dual C32 valencias would be your best options. Your best option would be the Opteron 4284. However there are a lot of things that will make your gaming performance mediocre. I wouldn't do it.

What do you need a server for?