1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

crossfire quit - 1 card scores higher than crossfire

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by 50bmg, Jul 17, 2008.

1. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    I could play COD4 for about twenty minutes. Then, I would get "Windows encountered a problem with iw3mp.exe". Caused by conflicts with the onboard realtek sound drivers and the COD4 1.7 patch. I was told to udate CCC to 8.6 and update the realtek drivers. Well, later i found out that all i had to do was enable stereo mixing in my sound devices.

By then it was to late. Now i can't get crossfire to work at all.

After 3-5 days of installing CCC and ATI drivers, trying to get CF enabled, i formatted and reinstalled winxp.

before this happened my pc scored 16800 on 3dmark06.

now:

Ok when i got home i tested each card individually on 3dmark06 and crossfire. individual cards score higher than crossfire. Here are the results.

card 1, pcie slot 1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_1 (second card removed)
    overall score: 11741
    sm2.0: 4720
    sm3.0: 5315
    cpu: 3446

card 2, pci slot 2 (other card removed)
    overall score: 11741
    sm2.0: 4720
    sm3.0: 5315

both cards with crossfire enabled, pcie slot 1 primary
    overall score: 11548
    sm2.0: 4619
    sm3.0: 5192

Both cards plugged in with 6 pin PCIe plug and the crossfire bridge installed.

GPUz says crossfire enabled and both cards are at 16x.

CPUz says (in the mainboard tab) graphics interface, 16x

ATI CCC says crossfire enabled.

I have noticed when two cards are installed, only the primary card's fan ramps up with usage. The other card's fan stays at one speed.

all of the parts in my sig are less than 60 days old. I have had no events of power surges, over heats, etc.

My 800w psu is also new and has 4-12v rails with a combined 56A.

here are my full specs:
    Intel C2D e7200 @ 3.8Ghz/GA-EX38-DS4 mobo/4G pc6400 @ 800Mhz/2x Visiontek 3870 OC 512M @ 800-2340 crossfired/BFG Tech 800w psu 4x12V-20A rails/Golden Orb 2 HS&F/Seagate 500G SATA 3G 7200.11/ win xp sp3

2. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really need some clues on this one.

3. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Try system restore if you are on XP. Helped me out multiple times.
    Otherwise i would uninstall all drivers and use driver cleaner then install again.

4. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try installing the card drivers in the device manager b4 installing CCC.

5. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    The first course of action, it were me, would be to uninstall the drivers. I would suggest you use the quick method outlined by erocker HERE.

Then a fresh reinstall with both cards and both bridges should sort you out.

The reason I suggest erocker's method is that the latest Cat drivers have a funky "auto-Crossfire" thing that seems to lock some settings into your registry. You can tell you haven't COMPLETELY cleaned the drivers when the reinstall retains the resolution and other CCC settings. It should default to 800X600 for the first reboot after reinstall.

50bmg says thanks.
  6. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Dr. S.

yesterday, I followed your instruction from one of your threads to uninstall and reinstall CCC to optimize CF. That didnt work.

you are right, no matter how many times i run driver cleaner in safe mode, the CCC settings remain. I will try this other method when i get home.

I have read on other posts that ATI is telling users with my problem that have X38, that non-intel brand X38 mobos are having problems with communicating between PCIe slots. Considering this all started after ccc 8.6, i am wondering if ATI is not supporting CF on x38 anylonger. That would be crazy.

Thanks to all.

edit: this latest go-round is after a reformat and new install of XP. So, it might be hardware, since i had a new clean install and still had the same issue. The only common denominator is, i installed COD4 patch 1.7. All this mess started after installing that patch. I installed that patch after this reformat. Could it be the patch?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  7. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    I can see the patch potentially causing the CTDs, but not farking your CF.

Who knows, stranger things have happened...

Sorry you had to go through all that blabbering, I REALLY need to update that thread. It was originally made to get CF working in Crysis, then it expanded, then they came out the 8.x Cats and it's never been the same...:shadedshu

50bmg says thanks.
  8. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    No prob. I wasnt complaining. I am lazy when it comes to uninstalling drivers. I needed the refresher course on doing it the correct way.

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Longshot.. But does Microsoft Visual C++ remain installed on your system after an uninstall?

50bmg says thanks.
  10. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    erocker - What OS, drivers and such are you using for that X38 + 2-3780 CF system?

11. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, this was probably overkill, but i reformatted and reinstalled XP. The only copy of CCC i had was 8.6.

I installed one card. Rebooted, installed the second without CF bridge. installed drivers for it. Turned off, put both CF bridges on, rebooted. Both cards were plugged in.

Still no CF.

The PSU is only 60 days old. Could it be the problem. here it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702006

Could it be CCC 8.6 just doesnt jive with my hardware?

12. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Oh, sorry you went through all that and still didn't get CF enabled...

I though I had suggested that you ininstall the Cat drivers via rocker's method, THEN (with both cards plugged in and both ribbons attached) install Cat drivers. My old method was for pre-8.x drivers.

Keep at it, it's worth it!

I don't think your hardware is the problem, the X38 chipset was made for CF! PSU seems OK.
    Try again.

50bmg says thanks.
  13. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, i just finished erocks method of uninstalling ATI drivers. I reinstalled 8.3 and ran 3dmark06. Still no CF.

after uninstalling 8.6 and cleaning the registry. 8.3 retained the setting i had in 8.6. Cleaning my registry did not remove the 8.6 settings.

14. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Got your PM. I have run into this issue many times with these 8.x drivers.

Is your .net framework up to date? When you reinstalled, did you just use SP3 or did you load sp2 then update to sp3?

Not to frustrate further, but did you get any errors when uninstalling/deleting ATI files, like-"could not delete because atiblahblah.dll is still in use"?

Have you attempted to uninstall 8.3? That particular version was kinda the crossover period when they stopped using C++ and .net as part of (what I refer to as) the "CF for dummies" phase.

Did you ever try my method with the Crysis hotfix drivers? It NEVER failed to work for me, but you must be free of all traces of other drivers.

I know this is exaspirating, I've been through it. So has erocker and others. I'm surprised that cleaning the registy didn't work? You used the "unistall utility" first, reboot, then erase ATI folders from registry, reboot, load Cat driver?

Confused...maybe there will be a clue in your resonses to my queries.

50bmg says thanks.
  15. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    .net. It may need updating. I installed off the old xp disk. I will update it.

I got no errors "ATIblahblah" when uninstalling ATI.

I have 8.4. I will uninstall and try it. the answer is no. I did not uninstall 8.3.

I did not try the crysis hot fix. I dont have crysis so i cant carry out the part about switching the Crysis files. I can try the rest of it.

the registry went as erocker said. Except in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" there was no ATI folders.

I am still wondering if this could be a power supply problem.

Thanks again.

Edit. Remember this is on a fresh winxp install from last night.

16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With my Maximus/3870 xfire setup, I used both Windows XP 32 and Vista 64. 8.3's didn't like XP for me and Corssfire wouldn't work correctly. After the 8.3's I found that having both cards in the system with bridges installed prior to driver installation worked just fine. Anything previous to that I had to do the install one card / install drivers / install other card method. I guess make sure you are using the latest chipset drivers. If it's not the PSU at this point I'm rather lost also..:ohwell:

50bmg says thanks.
  17. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i to had issues with 8.6 i suggest 8.5 my self, it fixed me issues

50bmg says thanks.
  18. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I will try 8.5.

I was just told to have Catalyst AI on. I was told last week to have it off. Which is it?

19. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    on for crossfire, leave it at its default position

50bmg says thanks.
  20. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG. What an "F"ING wasted week. I don't know if it was Cat AI, Cleaning the registry, or one of the other dozen things i just did. but it works.

I got a 3dmark06 score of 16900. higher than before.

Thank all of you for your help. This was the only forum that tried to help.

EDIT: I will never go crossfire again. I will go with one better card. This was a pain in the ARSE.

21. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    for future reference, for Crossfire to work CAT AI must be set to at least "low".

Even if Crossfire is enabled within CCC, the little check box ticked and all, Crossfire will be disabled if CAT AI is set to "off". You shouldn't ever have need to set CAT AI to "high," either - that can actually hurt Crossfire performance for most games.

You can also double check using GPU-Z . . . it'll display at the bottom of the application whether Crossfire is enabled or disabled.

IMHO, I think it had to do with CAT AI being set to "off" the whole time; IIRC, even with dual cards, the ATI drivers default CAT AI to "off" - even on a clean install.

22. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not on mine

23. 50bmg New Member

Thanks Received:
    your Cat AI isnt on.

Well, before i had this issue, i never had cat ai on. But i aint argueing with it. It works now, so Cat AI stays on. LOL.

I did have to lower it to standard, because of some micro stuttering on high(advanced).