1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire Sapphire 7950 Vapor x question

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by night.fox, Feb 1, 2013.

1. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    I am planning to buy another Vapor x 7950 to crossfire with my existing 7950 Vapor x. The thing is Vapor x 7950 is a custom PCB hence water cooling is not an option. If I have to crossfire another vapor x 7950 would it be ok if there is only one slot in between those two cards?

I am also planning to upgrade my case to Raven RV03. This is because merely of the inverted motherboard hence the direct fan from the bottom should help the temps of my card.

Reason for crossfiring is I am also planning to setup 3 1600p monitors or 3 1440p monitors depending on the availability but most likely i will get the 1600p monitors.

Also a quick question, I have a i7-3770k processor would this bottleneck the crossfire?

current motherboard is Asrock z77 Professional and it support crossfire.

Kindly advise

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    When my cards were still air cooled, there was only a single open slot between them, and temps were perfectly normal and safe. A custom fan profile can always help, as will better airflow which sounds like the case you want.

Your 3770k will be fine for 2 cards, especially OC'd to 4.5. My 2600k is at 4.5 with 2 7970s and perfectly happy.

Issue is 2 x 7950's pushing 3 x1440/1600 monitors, that's going to be difficult since that's a super high resolution. I honestly don't see it happening in most games. (I'm talking about settings cranked with solid framerates)

I do love your ambition, as I'd also love to rock 3x 1440 monitors; I'm 1/3 the way there :laugh:
    :toast:

night.fox says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Thank you man for sharing your experience. Youre the man:toast:

anyway, I have another thought what about if I get a reference 7970 and water cool it, crossfire with my vapor x 7950 and OC my 7950 to match 7970 memory? Can I do that? I mean can I OC one card only when they are crossfire? :confused: Sorry it will be my first time to crossfire :banghead:.

And from what I read over net that I can crossfire 7950 with 7970 cause they are same tahiti GPU. If I can do that, what is the best reference 7970?

Yeah I kinda thought about 3 1600p monitors that my card cannot cope up but as price for 1440 and 1600p here in korea is not that much of difference. I am talking about korean brand monitors of course :cool:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    You can though the 7970 will only be able to use the same amount of shaders as the 7950 (1792 as opposed to 2048 on a 7970) so it would be pointless and a waste of money when overclocked Vapor-X's can keep up with 7970's very easily

night.fox says thanks.
  5. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Just use a single 1600p you wont be disappointed.

night.fox says thanks.
  6. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    damn...:banghead: i wish I just get a reference 7970 before so alot of option for water cooling..:banghead:

well its another option then cause I wanted to get also the cosmos 2 so I can do a dual loop although I like the air cooling of Raven RV03 as the fan is directing it to the VGA's. I dont like a side fan cases and personally I dont like alot of fans either so I was hoping for a full water loop system.

I hope sooner they will make a full vga block for sapphire vapor x :pimp:

I cant sell my existing 7950 either as I already throw away the box:banghead::banghead:

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    I guess you were right although I havent really played in 1600p yet. although I wanted to have 3 x 1600p :rockout::rockout: that would be more exiting dont you think?

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
  9. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Well yes I can use that but then I have to use another heatsink for VRM and and memory and any other things in which as noob like me can get more complicated :laugh:

So thats why actually I was hoping to find or get a non reference VGA water cooling so I can get a full block..

full block VGA will look sexy as well :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    So why you posting here then? Google has all your answers. You don't need us

11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I can hit 10.5k 3DMark11 with my single overclocked (1450Vram/1200core) Vapor-X 7950 and i5 2500k@4.6ghz, that is as good as some overclocked 7970's

The Vapor-X 7950's have a 7970 PCB and power circuitry and that's why they can overclock amainzingly well, i wouldn't be disappointed you got one instead of a 7970 for $100 more :toast:

night.fox says thanks.
  12. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    :cool::cool: be cool man... believe me I already tried and been searching for days already trying to figure out the best I could crossfire my vapor x 7950 without risking of overheating due to space in between cards. If you could read my first post I was actually requesting information regarding space in between cards if 1 slot between would be ok. It just went a little bit of topic cause of other ideas like liquid cooled reference 7970 card crossfire with my vapor x.

Yes you were right mate about how amazingly the vapor x overclocked. I tried to overclock alot of times my card and i was really impressed. Thats why I plan to upgrade with 3 1600p monitors and I dont think one card cannot cope up with that.

one reason I am considering as well about getting a reference 7970 is so I can water cool it, place it in the 1st slot and place the vapor x on the 2nd slot so there would be no issue of heating due to space. but it kinda look weird one card on water cool and other card on stock air cooling :twitch:

But then again maybe i will stick with another vapor x, upgrade my case to raven RV03. lets see.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I am cool. Soemtimes i don't understand why i try to help people like you. At least you have Google and everyone else, right? Good.

Enjoy your setup!

night.fox says thanks.
  14. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Well dont hesitate to help people like me because I am so thankful for your help and Im thankful for all who try to help. Of course I did some googling but I couldnt find any information about my future setup which is a 1 slot in between of cards and a raven case. Most of the raven case I saw doing a crossfire are mostly liquid cooled but now I am restricted with a full VGA block option for non reference.

And also I cannot find a post about a vapor x 7950 crossfire. Maybe there is but it is a test setup in which its only for review. Maybe there is a case or situation where a person crossfire a 7950 vapor x but it was posted somewhere where it was not a language i cannot understand. :D

cheers mate :toast::toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Why so butthurt? maybe you should post on google forums as you're such an advocate for them?? :slap:

16. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I aint butthurt, was just being an ignorant troll. I could have given the ol forum standard reply of RTFM, Google is full of 'em. :rolleyes: :slap:

17. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    If you say so, I would like you to please just post a link of vapor x 7950 crossfired with one space in between them with STOCK COOLER. I would be very much happy and I will be quiet.

Or a 7950 vapor x crossfired with reference 7970 water cooled. You have been always saying Google is full of them. Like I said in my previous post yes maybe it was posted somewhere but it was on a language I cannot even understand.

You have suggested swiftech's water cooling solution for non reference board GPU and I replied with my opinion about heatsinks and I even admit dont want to do it cause a noob forumer like me can maybe get more complicated even if its not. I answered back and wish a full VGA block for non reference 7950 but it is not just made yet! I dont know maybe there is already but as of earlier i cannot even find one....

I suggest you have to correct your attitude towards a noobies like myself.....

As for the thread I started, right now I have two options..... purchase another 7950 vapor x and upgrade case to Raven 03.. Raven RV04 is not really look like spacious like RV03. I dont know that was only a preliminary from Silverstone

another option would be purchase a 7970 reference card, water cool and do a dual water loop or single loop in a full or ultra tower case.

I will post my experience once I have done.

TO ALL MODERATORS, kindly close this thread as it is getting way off topic now. Thank you.

to manofthem, NdMk2o1o, and Jack1n, thanks for sharing your thoughts about my plan. I appreciate all your help :respect: :respect::respect:

as for you m1dg3t, thanks but no thanks :toast::toast: cheers

Phusius says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    It's not a 7970 PCB. It's a custom PCB.

19. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    the PCB is almost the same as the hd 7970 Vapor-x PCB except for the new dual 8pin revision

20. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Thanks... but the current release of 7950 vapor x was a dual 8 pin power input.....

initially when vapor x 7950 was released, it was a 6 pin and 8 pin power

Crunching for Team TPU