1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire tab will not show up in CCC. R9 270X 2GB x2

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Zortras, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Zortras

Zortras

Thanks Received:
    Hello!
    I've just bought myself a second ASUS Radeon R9 270X 2gb card and am going to run them in crossfire but I cant get the Crossfire configuration tab in CCC to show up (probably because the cards refuse to run in more than x2-x8 PCIe). I've got the 14.4 AMD Drivers. Both cards show up in windows device manager and also in CCC just one marked as disabled.

What I have tried so far:
    Switching places of the cards which are in the x16 PCIe expansion slots.
    Clean reinstall of Graphics drivers.
    Trying bouth cards by switching the monitor between them and they bouth give picture.
    Switching the power cables between them.
    Tried two different bridges.
    Tried uninstalling from Windows Device Manager and letting Widnows install them again on reboot.

And now also (thanks for all comments so far guys):
    Checked for bent pins in the PCIe slots
    Figured out that it's one specific card that changes to x2.
    Installed a Readon 7870 and the 270X card that dosent change to x2. They ran fine (x8-x8) but when I switched out that 270X with the other it dropped to x2.
    Reset and updated BIOS
    Tried 13.9, 14.4 and the 14.7 beta drivers
    Cleaned the pins on the card
    Tried the "defect" 270x card in a M5a97 R2.0 motherboard and in the x16 PCIe slot it dosent want to give picture at all and in the x8 slot it only runs at x2.

Thank you! Love to hear your thoughts.

I've saved my specs on my profile I think, if you want to check it out. Im new to this forum.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    You must to have PCIe 2.0 16x for crossfire .... 2 x PCIe 2.0 16x for 2 Video Cards and 3 x PCIe 2.0 16x for three video card ; so you will need to change motherboard ... sorry ...

3. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    ouch that is wrong!
    Even on the homepage of that motherboard is says Cossfire and SLI Compatible :)

@op Did you put both cards into the Blue PIC-E slots?
    [​IMG]

4. Zortras

Zortras

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. Yes, those two are the ones I have the cards plugged in to, that is why it bothers me that in GPU-Z it says that PCIe is so low. One card at only PCIe x2. Even though those two slots should make it possible for x16 right? GPU-Z gave me a result that said so when I ran the render test on bouth of them on "Bus Interface" in the Graphics Card tab

I should also add that CCC finds the second card but marks it as disabled

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  5. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Might try removing the card that works and test just the second card. (Edit: read OP better) If it works, check what GPU-z says PCI-e speed it negotiated for. If it's still x2, try moving it to the PCI-e slot the primary card was in. (Edit: I see you already tried this) If it's STILL x2, there may be an issue with the card itself and a RMA may be in order.

Zortras says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about at all...

7. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    Colored slot = same value

Sli (don't know) but Crossfire i know ! ;)

crossfire demand exactly the same values, so if you want a CF not efficient. So listen to the ignorant which reassures you! they are wrong then listen to them;)

I have warned you.

You are free to ignore my warning, but believe me you will rethink about my advertising ; sooner or later ... but you will rethink about my message ...

it is unfortunate but it will result in your choice ...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    Crossfire in my board works great. (exactly the same board) One slot is x16 speed, and the other is x8 speed.
    With both cards installed (two R9-280X OC) and the crossfire bridge in, the system defaults to X8-X8 speed. This makes for some very good gaming.
    SLI works good in this board as well. (two GTX-570s)

"crossfire demand exactly the same values" is not correct, but I believe that you (URBAN303) think it is,................

9. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    Your CF is fonctionnal BUT !!!! The card on 2nd slot is 50% used ;) lol you're bad crossfire ;)

there is already loss with 2x PCIe 2.0 16x each.
    then with a PCIe 2.0 8x you have more loss.
    but it works it's true ...

Ignorance is like ridiculous it does not kill;)

edit : STANDARDS IS NOT MADE FOR DOGS!

10. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    May I recommend you read W1zzards review on x16 and x8 slots for GPU usage figures. The difference is within the single percentile. Perhaps you should go and do some research before misleading people on the forums.

Steevo says thanks.
  11. Zortras

Zortras

Thanks Received:
    I tried now having only the new card in and then it ran in 16x PCIe when I checked GPU-Z but when I installed the other card it went down to 8x and the other to 2x.

xvi says thanks.
  12. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    Calling others ignorant without really knowing the facts is a real indicator of where your intelligence truely rests. The second card is used far more than 50% as indicated by the scaling I get with crossfire enabled. It's closer to 95% usage because GPUs can barely saturate an X8 speed bus. But you don't know that, do you?

It's not a simple matter of X16 vs X8 math. But you think that it is.

You haven't taken the time to read up on the facts, even though RCoon pointed you in the right direction, and yet here you are, sticking your foot in your mouth a little more.

I assume that you tried both cards in the primary position and they both worked at x16 speed. Then, the second card worked at 2x both times.

I would say that it's a BIOS setting or a bad motherboard as long as the bridge is good.

13. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

motherboard bios up to date?

atb

Law-II

xvi says thanks.
  14. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    To make sure, Both cards are connected VIA CrossFire cable?
    Both cards are connected to the 6-pin power connector?

Test each card separate in first slot if functional render test as well.

Sometimes A pin one the PCI-E Slot might be bend busted or missing. Take your cards out look if each pin inside the Slot is intact and in place.

Remove your AMD Drivers completely http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

15. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    The problem is not the use of the GPU (which does not actually occupy 16) but all that is behind; namely shaders, the rops, the tmu's, cu; decreasing bands 16x &
    in 8x you use only 50% and that THAT! it deserves to linger! I am guaranteed to have the test as a CF 2x 16x and actually better than a CF (1x16x + 1x8x) ...
    Exactly I enough test to tell you "" Warning! be careful what you do! ""

The crossfire is so little known ...

It's amazing ....

use the standard AND follow them; otherwise it is hardly lost.

What is label & model of your motherboard please ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've used CrossFire in a variety of configurations over the years. I can't say I've had any issue with running the cards at two different PCI-E settings... Though x16 + x4 seems to not work very well sometimes on certain motherboards. x16 + x16, x16 + x8, x8 + x8 all work fine.

17. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
  18. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    For my part I have always respected the standards; So I know that config 2 or 4 x 16x but not 8x or 4x .... the standard is based on 16x not others ....

19. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I believe everyone is saying mostly the same thing if you remove the weighted words.

Crossfire will work, just it'll work sub-optimally. Lets get back to helping OP figure out what's going on.
    It should be at least PCI-e x8 for both cards. For some reason, it's not doing that.

If you do only one card in the secondary PCI-e slot, what speed does it negotiate at? Can you confirm that the slot itself is capable of x16 (or even 4x)? Like (I thiink) Law said, the slot may be damaged. Just want to be sure all slots work at 16x one by one.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    For my part .... sorry; but! I still! your motherboard has 2x PCIe x16 (PCI-E Gen2 (1x16, 1x8)) SO! the problem is that unlike SLI. IN CF you must have 2x to 16x. Point to the line. But standards at the base to prevent people from doing silly things ...

21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you don't. Stop.

22. Zortras

Zortras

Thanks Received:
    Bouth cards are connected to 6pin power and the bridge has been installed aswell. I've tried bouth cards in first slot now and they bouth run at 16x PCIe when they're alone but not together.

I'll check the slots :)

I've already done a clean reinstall of drivers with driver sweeper in safe mode.

xvi says thanks.
  23. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    GPU-Z I guess you understand that you have to click on the question mark to start the animation to trigger your or your graphics card in order to know the speed possible with your configuration AND! Your video ports ....?

24. Zortras

Zortras

Thanks Received:
    No not yet, I take that as a last resort

Law-II says thanks.
  25. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    Follow the standards; and at that time we will have things to say ...