1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire vs SLI comparison on t-break using HD3870 and 8800GT cards.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by warhammer, Feb 10, 2008.

1. warhammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all Interesting article regarding our Favourite subject enjoy the read.

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=grfx&id=580&pagenumber=1

2. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    If you ask me, it really depends on the engine and programming. You can see the cards trade blows in certian games, take CoH thats a heavily promoted and well optimized for Nvidia's card where as HL 2/Eps. 1/2, are much in the favor of CF, but take in consideration the graphics engine where HL 2 takes very much advantage of the 320 SPs, where as Nvidia only has 112(though higher clocked).

3. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    six of one and half a dozen of the other, alot of people i hear almost bragging about how ATi has "much better" crossfire efficiency, i dont believe it for a second.

cards perform differently on different games in single GPU mode let alone CF/SLi, and the results vary across the board.

as usual my opinion states that a choice in cards comes down ONLY to personal preference, as the price/performance ratio on 3850/3870 and 8800 cards is pretty much spot on, especially since generally in Dual Gpu modes, the difference is so insignificant you couldn't perceive the difference unless fraps told you anyway.

4. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    nice even test that, with the ati cards being feed by ddr3 but the nvidia ones on ddr2, not much difference in the mem bendwidth then no?

5. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    the word around the water cooler is DDR3 is pretty superfluous so far.

6. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    between 3 and 7% increase in mem bandwidth (and im sure this will widen with penryn on the higher fsb) is still better than none, its not that its not better performing just the gains aren't worth the excesive cost atm.

its not as if this is really news any way, xfire has scaled better than sli for quite some time but the margin is quite slim in most cases. the difference isnt that much in most games and depending on which games you play you should go with what ever performs best in those.

i love the way they go on about the source engine, its a very cpu bound engine and that, for one, is one of the tests were the ddr3 will shine over the ddr2 setup.

personally i dont like reviews where they dont give the things on test a even playing feild, it show a bias from the onset, its not as if you cant get a x38 with ddr2 slots to even the test is it?

7. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    You hit it right on the nose...

There was a team that tore apart a game, I don't remember what it was, but it has been proven that when a game is directly built for a video card they can show as much as a 300% better frame rate over a card that is not well supported by the same game... Now this varies from game to game obviously and different cards vary differently.

But yes the direct programming of a lot of games specifically for Nvidia cards really hurts ATI in the performance scores.... Look at how bad cheap ATI cards beat Nvidia's top cards in early Half life and CS:S..... Thats a good show for what direct card favoring can do...