1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire Will Not Work

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Ravenas, May 11, 2012.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Here's my setup:

Graphics cards:

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 900M 1 GB DDR5 DUAL MINIDP HDMI DUAL DVI PCI-E Video Card (HD687AZHFC)

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card

Motherboard:

MSI 990FXA-GD80 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Crossfire never comes up to be enabled. I have tried 2 different bridges that were brand new out of the box. The first time I installed the card with bridge, both cards showed up under GPUz and under device manager. Now, only the sapphire shows up under GPUz and device manager with the bridge connected. I don't know what the problem is here...

Could anyone offer some advice or insight? Thanks.
  2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Switched PCI lanes? Does teh XFX show up by itself?
  3. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    The XFX works and boots by itself (the Sapphire does as well). I have not tried swapping the PCI lanes. The Sapphire is in the first lane, the XFX is in the 2nd. There are a TOTAL of 4 lanes.
  4. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I switched the cards PCI lanes... Windows installed 2 graphics cards. However, only one showed up. GPUz only find the XFX card...
  5. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a driver issue try a clean install but check to see if CCC sees both cards first while in CCC try to disable & re-enable crossfire might work ... 12.4 drivers have some real issues
    Law-II says thanks.
  6. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Did you install the 2nd set of drivers?

Like install one card, install drivers. Reboot, then shut down.
    Install 2nd card, install drivers, reboot.....success? :p
  7. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I just uninstalled all devices from display devices trying to reinstall now.
  8. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Did you use the drop down menu [bottom left hand side] of GPU-Z, allows you to see each GPU

Example

GPU-Z example.jpg

atb (all the best)

Law-II
    Ravenas says thanks.
  9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:

Yes. Only 1 card showing up at a time.
    Law-II says thanks.
  10. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

+1 Frogger

I also think the ccc control panel is confused "version conflict" of sorts, you may wish to skip the following as there are other ways of cleaning ccc drivers out; there is a sticky by erocker at the top of the Graphics Cards page on TPU

However this is the method I use.

First things first; set a restore point and back-up any files and download Driversweeper v_2.1.0 [use this version of DS only]

follow the instructions very carefully and all will be well;

go to windows control panel \ add and remove programs \ uninstall catalyst driver (choose express uninstall)

reboot

enter windows safe mode (press F8) and run Driversweeper v_2.1.0 (highlite driversweeper, press right

mouse button- bring up menu run DS in administrator mode) select ATI only in DS and analyse then delete

NOTE when it ask you if you want to restart the system DONT - instead open control panel and go to

Device Manager / Display Adapters (open this) you should be able to see a vga card installed - highlight press right mouse button - will open a sub menu -you want uninstall - when the system asks you to restart DONT - Then open control panel, device manager, select view/show hidden devices/Non-Plug and play Drivers/highlight amdkmdag and press right mouse button to bring up a sub menu/select uninstall (When it ask you to restart DONT;- select No option to restart later

do not close DS leave it open on the desk top

this next step has risk's involved

follow the instructions very carefully and all will be well.

Open Regedit

goto

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\ATI and delete the ATI folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\ATI and delete the ATI folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies and delete the ATI Technologies folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ATI and delete the ATI folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ATI and delete the ATI Technologies folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\ (you will see lots of folders we need the thirteenth (13) folder down from "Class" - open the folder and you will see 0000 delete this folder and any others 0001,0002 Note the Properties folder is read only and protected leave this as it is.

close up all the sub folders and move on to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\ (you will see lots of folders we need the thirteenth (13) folder down from "Class" - open the folder and you will see 0000 delete this folder and any others 0001,0002 Note the Properties folder is read only and protected leave this as it is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ (you will see lots of folders we need the thirteenth (13) folder down from "Class" - open the folder and you will see 0000 delete this folder and any others 0001,0002 Note the Properties folder is read only and protected leave this as it is

(you only need to check CCS there should be no entries in the thirteenth folder other than properties)

HKEY_USERS \.DEFAULT\Software\ATI and delete the ATI folder

-Close Regedit

next go back to the driversweeper software (Do you want to reboot screen) and select ok

-Reboot - allow windows to start up and find a vga driver

-then install the latest AMD catalyst Drivers from their web site or use drivers that you know work well Note: Catalyst 11.9 may be a good option

atb

Law-II
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    Ravenas says thanks.
  11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I uninstalled all of my drivers... I'm starting to think I just need to buy another XFX card so it will work... That way I'm using the same card so there will be no conflicts.

These two cards may not be compatible.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That could be very true. Both are non-reference cards and XFX has been known to take quite a few shortcuts with their cards.
  13. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I have another XFX 6870 I could test but it's not the exact same card.
  14. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Sounds like a good plan; however a little costly. Once apon a time I used two HD 5970's in my system a Sapphire and an XFX when I used these I could only get them to work when I installed the Sapphire as the primary card PCIe slot 1 and xfx in PCIe slot two due to memory timings on both cards differing from one another.

I got a right ear full last time I suggested a PSU may not be up to the task; but I am willing to take the risk once more for you, have a look at this guide [Note this is only a guide] - http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/certified-power-supplies-details.aspx?item=547 it dose suggest that not all Corsair 650W PSU's are the same

atb

Law-II
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you will have a better chance at success using both the XFX cards. :)
    Law-II says thanks.
  16. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

that may do the trick; just make sure that the slowest card is in the primary PCIe slot; that should allow the other vga card to down clock and allow crossfirex

atb

Law-II
    Ravenas says thanks.
  17. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    The rig I am currently talking about has the 650watt cooler master. What I don't understand is why they both first appeared on my first initial install... In the catalyst software there wasn't an option for crossfire though.
    Law-II says thanks.
  18. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
  19. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I went ahead and bought the xfx 6870 because it is a significantly smaller card than my sapphire. The sapphire barely fits in my case currently. So I will be selling it if anyone is interested, just PM me. :toast:
  20. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Ravenas says thanks.
  21. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

My bad; looked in your system specs, thanks for the info

atb

Law-II
    Ravenas says thanks.
  22. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    The system in my system specs tab is an older system of mine now. I currently use that system as a server for backed up data spanning years back. My current system is the amd fx4770 with the above mentioned components and 16gb of 1333mhz ddr3 ram.
    Law-II says thanks.