1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CrossfireX Scaling Question

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by i_dog_69, Oct 5, 2011.

1. i_dog_69

i_dog_69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all my fellow TPU geeks, i have a quick question about mixing cards in CFX. A few weeks ago my MSI Twin Frozr II 5870 broke down and i sent it back to MSI and they told me they could not fix it or replace it with the same card. Instead they asked me if they could send me a 6870 with the same Twin Frozr Cooler. I of course said yes because they already said it was all they could do.

Now, i know that the two cards are similar in performance, although maybe not exactly the same, i did however read that they scaling for the 6000 series is better with multi GPU setups.

What i am wondering is: How effective is the scaling if i were to pair this with a 6850? what kind of performance hit would i take as opposed to another 6870? Should i only pair it with another MSI card? I havent had a multi GPU rig since 7900's in 2006 and a lot has changed since then. Any help is great. Thanks guys! :rockout:
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It shouldn't really matter, but it does. Most of the time people will get optimal results by using two cards that are the same.

The 6870 has a bit lower performance than the 5870. You should of recieved a 6970 as it's the card that replaced the 5870.
    i_dog_69 and cadaveca say thanks.
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    He's right. They should have sent you a 6970. I would push back, even if the 6870 has already shipped.

You could pair with a 6850 afaik but it is ideal to go the same (definitely same vram amount) and at 6870 prices there is really no compelling reason to get anything but if you are going to go crossfire. Though unless you play at 1920x1200 or above you really wouldn't benefit much from the second card outside of benchmarking.
    i_dog_69 says thanks.
  4. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Tell them they need to send you a 6970, if it replaced the card you had then that is what they should be replacing it with for you, not something in which they are only trying to save themselves some money.
    i_dog_69 says thanks.
  5. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I actually think it would be quite unfair for them to send him a 6970. The 6870 or 6950 is more accurate based on the overall performance and value of the 5870. Some people may disagree but I think it's fair for both parties really.

Although it would have been more fair for him if they sent a 6950 1GB. It would be the closest to the 5870 in terms of current cards performance and value, and it can be unlocked & OC'd heavily.
    i_dog_69 says thanks.
  6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    +1 Jummy.

A 6950 would be my request. A 6870 is a bit slower than a 5870. They should not send you lower end hardware.

Edit: Although it would not hurt to ask for a 6970 as erocker said, it did replace the 5870.
    i_dog_69 says thanks.
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    dont forget that they account for depreciation, just because you own an x1950XTX that lasted a few years, doesnt mean the warranty would get you a 6990 because they're the highest in the series.

is a 6870 an equal replacement? no, i dont really think so either. but it might be all he gets. (i'd just tell them its part of a crossfire setup, and that they should send two of them...)
    i_dog_69 says thanks.
  8. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    You never know in life until you try.
    i_dog_69 says thanks.
  9. Ev1LrYu

Ev1LrYu

Thanks Received:
    had a similar thing happen to me, a borked PowerColor 5870. They also tried to send me a 6870, but after I refused I got a 6970 in the mail ;) It was more than what I expected, as I was only after similar performance (not pricing tier) ie 6950 (not to mention I only got the 5870 used for real cheap hehe).

I say shoot for it, aint much bad that can happen for asking :cheers:
    i_dog_69 says thanks.
  10. i_dog_69

i_dog_69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow! Maybe Im a sucker! thanks for the heads up guys! I definitely sent them an email as soon as i read this:

"Hello,
    After reading reviews and much of the online info about the 6870 I was disappointed to find that it actually has LOWER performance than the 5870 I sent in to be repaired. Although I know I said it would be fine before, Im not sure I would agree at this point with the knowledge I have now. I sent in a card that was less than a year old, and in return get a card that is WORSE! This cant be right?! Surely there is a better card you can send me seeing as how I am now not going to be able to use my second card in crossfireX. Please respond as soon as possible.
    Thanks"

I tried not to be too pushy, seeing as how i only have my laptop ATM and would like to get back up and running again soon! Its already been almost 2 weeks! As usual the comments have been great!
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    good wording, maybe you'll get somewhere.
  12. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    The scaling in 6xxx series is good but i dont know if u should xfire a 6870 with a 6850 coz they r becoming very close in price. I have a mate that had a 6870 and he xfired it with another but scaling was not good with his cpu (1055t) so he went and got himself a 2600k and performane just about doubled so it does depend on the type of cpu. In saying that just wait n see what they send u!!;)
  13. i_dog_69

i_dog_69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My current system specs below my avatar are up to date, i have a decent CPU on the aging but still serviceable LGA 1366 platform. IT should be able to handle CFX. As for the price: after checking it out on newegg, you are totally right, i see no reason to not get the faster 6870 ( if the still send me one) seeing as the price difference is only ~$20.
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Right. What I said essentially.