1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfiring GeCube 3870

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by casper250c, Feb 12, 2008.

1. casper250c New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I'm not sure if this has been asked yet or not I did not dig into all the old posts..

Ok I bought the GeCube 3870 a couple months back and love it so I thought what the hell I'm gunna buy another now (sooner than I had planned but the money is available) and run them in crossfire but neither NewEgg nor TigerDirect have any in stock :cry:..

My question now since I have never crossfired before is can I get a 3870 from a different manufacturer such as VisionTek as long as the specs (clocks) are the same and still run the 2 in crossfire or do I have to wait and buy another GeCube card?
    Would there be any drawbacks to running two different companies together?

2. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as the specs are the same and there is no obtrusive non refrence cooler in the way of the crossfire bridge you will be fine. Actually you would be perfectly fine as long as its a 3870 but it is just nice to have cards that have identical specs.

Just be aware that the P5W-DH is a 16x 4x pci express board so one slot may bottleneck the second card a little bit.

3. casper250c New Member

Thanks Received:
    The board will run 8x by 8x I know it's a bit of a hit in performance knew when I bought it actually but thats ok I have no complaints with this board it performs as people here have said it would :D