1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crucial m4 RealSSD C400 128 GB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, May 11, 2011.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    Rivage and ShogoXT say thanks.
  2. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much for the review. I had been reading a bit into SSDs and considering my application and game usage I was waiting for the 500GB ones to come down majorly in price.

That was until I started reading reviews on the new Z68 chipset from intel. If you guys here remember how the Seagate Momentus XT works, think of it kinda like that, but with dedicated drives. This is a amazing jump and a game changer for me. Even on Newegg you are starting to see awesome combos for Z68 mobos with something like a M4 64GB (The Intel SMART Caching doesnt go higher than 64GB), shaving off $40 or so bucks (I think they are $150 on their own so... wow).

I still have a i7 920 and X58, so im not in range for any major rebuilds right now, but if I was, id totally be looking at getting a large HDD plus a smaller SSD for this new caching.

In the meantime im stuck with a crappy velociraptor drive :( . Thanks again for the review Wiz.
  3. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Crappy velociraptor?

I'll gladly take it off your hands if you hate it that much :p

Drive caching has its issues - especially in write performance, where your raptor would actually be faster. I'd also prefer to be able to choose what is and isn't stored in the faster storage medium.