1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crucial Unveils Ballistix Low Profile Memory

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Cristian_25H

Cristian_25H News Poster

Thanks Received:
    Crucial, a leading global brand of memory and storage upgrades, today announced the immediate availability of Crucial Ballistix Low Profile (LP) memory, which delivers a true low profile design to provide more clearance around high-end CPU coolers and improve airflow throughout the system. Designed for performance enthusiasts and small form factor computer builders with limited space, Crucial Ballistix LP memory features all the performance benefits of Ballistix memory without the height concerns of taller modules.

Since overclocked systems with power-hungry processors are often heat-intensive and require oversized CPU coolers to regulate temperatures, clearance for memory modules is often limited. To address this, Crucial Ballistix LP memory modules are between 15 percent and 35 percent lower profile than competing modules. Using up to 10 percent less power (1.35V) than standard modules (1.5V), Crucial Ballistix LP memory modules also help reduce the cooling problem in high-performance systems, resulting in a lower thermal profile and less fan noise, and enable easier overall system cooling.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"Crucial Ballistix LP memory delivers all the benefits users have come to expect from Crucial high-performance memory – just in a smaller package," said Jeremy Mortensen, senior worldwide product manager, Crucial. "While other low profile offerings on the market provide some clearance, Crucial Ballistix LP memory delivers a true low profile and low power design to give users more clearance around their CPU coolers, while using less power for increased energy efficiency."

Leveraging the industry-leading design and manufacturing capability of Micron Technology, Crucial Ballistix LP memory is backed by a limited lifetime warranty, and is compatible with the latest platforms from Intel and AMD. Crucial Ballistix LP memory is available in a variety of popular DDR3L speeds and up to 8 GB in density for both Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP (very low profile) and Tactical LP models. Crucial Ballistix LP memory modules are available now at www.crucial.com, Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and Tigerdirect.com.
  2. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Betcha these are the 30nm Samsungs underneath those spreaders.
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad somebody is thinking smaller with performance oriented memory instead of taller and taller, like most others.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, who else makes 1.35 V LP memory? Samsung?

Other than Micron IC, what other ICs have I seen on Crucial DIMMs? Samsung?

Ergo, these might be Samsung-based?

:rockout:
  5. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    came in here to say just that.;)
  6. Roph

Roph

Thanks Received:
    "Man, my memory modules are just too tall!" - Nobody, ever
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron. I would imagine these are Micron based.
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Crucial regularily uses Samsung ICs when they cannot get their own. I've posted pics here about that about 3 years ago, crucial stuff I got direct from Crucial on RMA of 1600MHz C8 1.8 V modules, they gave back C9 Samsung cheapo DIMMs, with Crucial labeling, since they had temporarily dropped support for the Ballistix for all P45 boards...

I have pictures of these sticks, too, of course, and you'll also find Samsung ICs in Crucial SSDs. They have a good working relationship, those two.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    dude12564, cdawall and Random Murderer say thanks.
  9. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I hope these become available here... I tried looking for the LP Samsungs before and I couldn't find any local retailer/e-tailer selling them... :ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Wrong. A lot of us who have larger heatsinks cannot use some of the modules with heatspreaders because they are, in fact, too tall. G.Skill Trident is a great example of this.
    The problem is exacerbated when you have all slots filled or are running quad-channel and therefore have size constraints on both sides of the socket.
    Then there's the other possibility: building a SFF PC. I've seen multiple SFF builds where it's apparent the builder had to really do some research to find RAM that would physically fit in the space they had available.
    You shouldn't have to sacrifice performance in these cases just to get RAM that will actually fit, hence Crucial making these.

The heatspreader on DDR2 and early DDR3 HyperX is a great example of this, the heatspreader is almost twice the height if the RAM itself:

[​IMG]

Maybe before posting a smart-ass comment on a news article, next time you'll think about other people's needs, not just your own.
  11. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    get a friend here on TPU to mail them to you ? :cool:
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    They are fine on watercooled rigs. Most huge ones wont clear my V10...Shit designs they don't get that hot.
  13. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't know how to pay for it. I don't have paypal and I gues the shipping would be more expensive than the ram... I see the deals you get through newegg/microcenter and honestly it makes me jealous :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Certified check via postal service, wiring money through Western Union?
  15. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Google wallet, Skrill...
    :toast:
  16. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Are these actually just Sammies ?
  17. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    little tiny heat spreaders
  18. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Why nobody release DDR3-2133Mhz @ 1.5v ???? Only below...
  19. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I still cant buy any ballistix 8GB Modules here in the UK, im running 4 x 4gb 1866 of them because they dont have retarded heatspreaders that get in the way. And now they're bringing out 8gb modules but only in low profile?
    I guess if they performed identically to my 4gb modules, id replace two of them with two of these 8gb provided they came in at 1866.
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Patriot Viper3 and IntelExtremeMasters, 2133 MHz 11-11-11-27, 1.5 V.
  21. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    That sort of RAM has been released already. I think the first was Mushkin who did a 16GB Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte (4x4GB) kit which ran at 2133MHz, CAS: 10-11-10-28, 1.5v, but the only place that did sell them in the UK (aria.co.uk as far as I know) stopped selling them some time ago and now you can only get the same sort of kit with slightly higher CAS/latency (which is inferior in terms of stock specifications).

I would know as I brought that Mushkin kit which was in my Sandybride system for a while and everything auto-adjusted through X.M.P with no issues at all, but ironically I ended up replacing them with the greener Samsung kit which appears to be the same RAM as these Crucial Ballistix LP minus the heat shields/coolers. :D

**Correction**
    The first who actually made 2133MHz RAM at 1.5v was Corsair who release a 16GB (4x4GB) Dominator kit which was 2133Mhz, CAS: 9-11-10-27, at 1.5v; but the Dominators were and still are expensive and the Mushkin kit I mentioned was merely the first more affordable 2133Mhz kit which ran at 1.5v (possibly the second released kit which was 2133MHz at 1.5v).
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  22. Vancha

Thanks Received: