1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crunching and Gaming

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by KieX, Nov 17, 2012.

?

How do you use your computers?

1. Crunch and Game on same PC

73.0%
  2. Crunch on PC and game on a seperate PC (or console..)

5.4%
  3. Crunch only

5.4%
  4. Other

16.2%
  1. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Right, I'm going to confess here: I've dedicated so many of my resources to crunching that I feel guilty using a computer for anything else. I know it's probably a mild psychosis.. but whatever.. :laugh:

So, seeing that a lot of members here are both crunchers and gamers I wanted to have a quick poll to get an idea of what everyone else does. Simple poll but comments welcome.
  2. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Great idea KieX!:toast:
    Same here. You're not alone:laugh:
    I'm using mobile phone only, when I'm home.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    Crunch and Game on the same machine. I also hardly ever shut down Crunching to Game.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I just game.
  5. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    Still not sure my desktop is idle stable, so crunching is kind of a good thing. :p

Also, the amount of gaming I do is not that great, so plenty of crunchy time. :D
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I won't game on my desktops because that would involve killing the WCG GPU client. So I do all of my gaming on the HD4000M in my laptop :p
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    ok guys i dont know if im on right place to post but here it is!! since i love this comunitiy a lot ..,becouse i had help from here few times saving my hardware!! so i was just going to ask if someone can explain what the crunching is??what hardware is compatible??couse i wanna see tpu waaay up on that rank list :)
    KieX says thanks.
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I game and crunch on my machine capable of playing modern games, but my other rigs only crunch. So Yes to both "Crunch only" and "Game and crunch on the same PC."
    KieX says thanks.
  9. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I used to have a decent gaming rig :laugh:, but now it's been dedicated to WCG since before the HCC challenge. I haven't gamed on it since then. I did play my PS3 yesterday for a bit though to quench my gaming thirst; obviously it's not as good but it's something ;)
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    crunch and game on the same PC with a farm of other PCs dedicated to gaming, atleast thats what i did when i still had all my machines.
    KieX says thanks.
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I crunch and game on the same machine. Some games I have to set the Bionic client to snooze while I game, others I can game and crunch at the same time. Surprisingly to me, I'm able to crunch with my cpu and gpu and still play Borderlands 2 on high settings and get acceptable FPS.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I voted Other, since I have one machine that is pretty much a dedicated cruncher, although it does do other, non resource intensive things. My main machine, Starlifter, also crunches, but I may suspend crunching while gaming, depending on the game. Most of the time I can crunch and game at the same time, but sometimes that doesn't work out.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I don't game as much as I used to but like the ability to play anything that's out now on my main rig when I choose to do so. Thanks to the gpu wu's my rig(s) get to take advantage of their graphics hardware to do something good :)

Thanks to the server nature of FX chips I have not yet had a reason to pause crunching while doing anything else.... with the exception of a quick benchmark once in awhile.

@Pehla- browse through our stickied threads in our forum section- they explain what we do and how to get setup:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    KieX says thanks.
  14. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I crunch and game on the same machine :D ... for now :p When i get the Ivy Bridge rig built, I will crunch 24/7 on the i5 2400 and part time on the 3570K
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Where's the game only option? I mainly game and use my rigs for other things like writing papers.
  16. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    I crunch while I play, except for big games xD like BF3, or when I was on Crysis 3 Alpha, that I put crunch at sleep.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses guys. This is mighty interesting. :toast:

That would fall under the "other" (this is the crunching forum). Would you consider crunching between those games? You would probably never notice it's running and you can suspend it whilst gaming of course.
    Daimus and Norton say thanks.
  18. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    PC is my life, so i do all kind of things while at PC.And ofcourse am not forgetting about real life
    KieX says thanks.
  19. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know the epic-level members have more than 2 dedicated crunching rigs.. :respect:

as for me I started crunching recently and at the moment using my modest but charming C2D E4500 desktop to crunch.. this pc is used for all purposes including gaming (/sigh/ if only my 9800gt could crunch).. I crunch with the cpu @ 100% when I am at home (fulltime during weekends & holidays).. even @ 100% crunching it is more than happy to let me work with common applications, browse the net, watch videos/ listen music in parallel!

going forward however I would like to have at least 1 dedicated cpu cruncher and the future of GPU WUs would have a lot of bearing on my decision to include a dedicated gpu as well.. with radeons having a significant edge over geforce in crunching, 7xx0 or even 8xx0(if it comes early 2013) would be nice to have as a cruncher.. lets hope WCG standardizes GPU WUs as well
  20. KieX

Thanks Received:
    It might be a while before they standardize a GPU WU. But even if you don't base your GPU choice on crunching.. those AMD's come with crazy game bundles. :D
    Daimus, Norton and NHKS say thanks.
  21. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    And they are pretty good gaming cards anyway (7750 and up....with the 7850/7870 being the sweet spot right now for price, performance, and efficiency) :cool:
    Daimus and NHKS say thanks.
  22. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    right.. atleast one project with gpu support would be mighty nice to crunch.. at the moment HCC but I guess it is set conclude in the coming few months (?).. but yes 7850/7870 hit the sweet spot in price-performance when it comes to gaming/crunching.. for crunching 'alone' 7770 would be the most effective cost wise.. I am weighing the options and will soon decide to upgrade..

EDIT:
    coincidence or what!.. i added my reply and you had already said what I was thinking..
    KieX, Daimus and Norton say thanks.
  23. dhoshaw

dhoshaw

Thanks Received:
    I crunch & game on the same machine; but I only game a couple hours a week. Crunching is 24/7.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    And that's how it should be :toast: :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unlike in the past where I had multiple crunching rigs, I only have one right now and I play games a couple hours every night. I pause Bionc while playing. All work and no play....
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU