1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CryEngine3 PS3 Off-Screen Demonstration

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Sep 9, 2009.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  2. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    We all now that PC games maxed have better graphics than console counterparts. But not by much. Console games have all the shadows the lighting. So to notice the difference you need to watch screenshots to compare. And how to hell did they fit this engine in to 256MB RAM and 256 VRAM ? And GPU that is some version of GeForce 7900.

3. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    doesnt look good at all.

4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    For a console, I beg to differ.

lococol says thanks.
  5. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it looked fine on a fixed scene, but take into account AI, physics, objects, post processing... the game will be lucky to look half that good after they start adding the other, more important elements.

No way in hell am I buying that it's going to look and run that smooth but I'll eat my own words if it does. Just doesnt make sense.

6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Thats why its Cry Engine 3. Its supposed to be really well optimized now. So PC users should expect a big boost too considering how well it looks and runs on Consoles now.

7. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    doesn't matter when the hardware has it's ceiling.

No doubt it will look good but it's not going to look even close to that. I'd bet $100 on it.

this is only my opinion...

8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm suprised they can even make it look half as good with a 7900gtx gpu that the ps3 has.

9. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is more or less my opinion as well. Except for that when you see it run, it will look like jittery crap stumbling along at <25 FPS and dropping well below that whenever the action heats up a bit. That is what run of the mill modern day console games do at the moment as a result of hardware limitations, I really do not see how the hell they are going to have the Cryengine which is truly ahead of the rest, fare any better.....Or even perform to a similar standard.

10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Them graphics look amazing for the Ps3.

11. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes...almost too good to be true wouldnt you say?

:rolleyes:

12. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Hey if it gets anywhere near that id be happy just imagine how good it would be on a beefy pc.

13. Dixxhead

Dixxhead New Member

Thanks Received:
    If Cryengine 3 does it like Killzone 2 and uses the Cell for Postprocessing I very much see this happening on the ps3 with an ever so slight edge over the 360 in terms of Effects.

I mean, Killzone 2 offers an INSANE amount of Postprocessing, yet to be seen in any other Game sans Crysis on the PC. I bet that with further optimization you can get even more out of the PS3's pretty unique architecture. (Much like what happened with the PS2).

That's at least what I think. :toast:

14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Exactly... CryTek Said they wanted to use the full potential of the PS3, I can only assume that means they would be using the Cell Processor for the Physics and Post Processing as well as seamlessly streaming the textures on objects. And like I said, the whole intent of Cryegnine 3 is so that it can run on Consoles, if It didn't run I don't think they would be developing Crysis 2 on it.

So believe it or not, it runs..... and on consoles.

15. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    we shall see.

16. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    C mon guys it looks freakin awesome !

This time seems simplyfied at all... I bet they will run the game at 60 FPS stable this time, so no need for quadding quintuble physx dedicated system.

17. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I think you people forgot some things. We went to the moon with less processing power than a calculator. It's all about efficiency and not being a lazy programmer. What I'm trying to prove is, even though the hardware is old, they are making the best of it by efficient programming. Effectively, it could definitely be better than say, Crysis was because the code is just that much better. We've become lazy and instead of going back to fix things, we write new code to fix the broken things. Ever look at all the wasted shit in games? Extra textures, etc...

18. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    explain.

19. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    good points, but two thing. we went to the moon with a shit ton of processing power. sure it isnt much compared to today, but it was still 100,000x more powerful than a calculator.

coding has improved and you are totally right about lazy programming. the way technology has progressed at such a tremendous rate has pretty much made making effecient code pointless. it is all about speed and taking advantage of what is out now. if technology progresses slowly you will see coders provide far better code and make better use of available resources.

20. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:

Show me more than walking, trees/grass/water and a gun.

Looks like a good way to hype a game by leaking something that DOES look amazing without including the other 75% of the game.. like enemies, explsosions, detailed objects within the trees/grass/water and the gun.

I'm about to watch it again...

21. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    During that waterfall scen it looked as if it were running @ 15fps or so..

I have to say it does look amazing.. but I'm just not buying the fact that its going to run over 25 fps as a final product. I just cannot fathom it..

Yah maybe coding is better.. who knows..

I'm not sure how much better the coding was in the crysis wars? or warhead game than crysis orginial.. but

All I can say is if it can run on a Ps3 then it damn sure better be able to run maxxed out at 1080p on a gtx 260 with 3ghz cpu lol...

22. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I find it hard to believe the final product will be that smooth. Also I am wondering if it was just rigged to generate more funding to complete a project they are working on etc.

I hope I am wrong, I just find it hard to believe. Maybe its some amazing step I am about to witness in console games?

23. e6600

e6600 New Member

Thanks Received:
    these settings are about equal to med/high on crysis
    a 8600gt is able to play that nicely at < 1680x1050 resolutions

console games have a history of being run at very low resolutions.. with low aa/af

wat does amaze me is the memory usage.. considering that crysis warhead was 'optimized' and uses 2k mem in dx9 and about 1200 in dx 10... i wonder how the hell they did it

24. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd sure love it if they would release a cryengine 3 benchmark

25. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    If the title was PC instead of PS3 I bet that you would think that it has great graphics.