1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crysis 2 Removed from Steam Due to 'origin'

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bo$$, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    source
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    JATownes, qubit and streetfighter 2 say thanks.
  2. copenhagen69

Thanks Received:
    so if we bought it off steam, then what?
  3. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I have read so far, you should still be able to play it through STEAM, you cannot purchase it now through STEAM.
    I hope that is the case as I am one of those that do enjoy playing Crysis 2:) And no I am not some 12 year old kid (actually 41) - as this has been implied of those who do like this game in other threads:(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    thats what i deduced from there too...
    maybe they will sort it out, steam sales are everything nowadays
  5. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    if they force me to use there service for games they just lost my sales. i refuse to use EA's shitty service so looks like i wont be getting BF3 if its not on Steam.
  6. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how long until EA remembers who publishes the physical copies of Valve games.
  7. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really wish they would explicitly state the part of the contract they are referring to. Nothing gets me more steamed :)D) than dancing around the point.

Perhaps this is another harbinger of Steam's *official* entrance into the big brother club?
    Most anything EA corporate touches explodes into a ball of fire and kills all the paying customers. :roll:
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    At least I got to play the Demo on Steam. Thank goodness for that as it helped my make my decision not to buy the game on Steam or anywhere else.
    El_Mayo and Easy Rhino say thanks.
  9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Does this mean you won't be able to play BF3 with your steam friends, and you'll have to make a whole new friends list on Origins? Fuck that.
  10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Damn, this is bad.

It seems like Steam doesn't like this other portal service, does it? I also wonder if the activation limit DRM in the game had anything to do with it? Yeah, they really shouldn't dance around it without telling us what the specifics were. :slap:

If people remember, I pre-purchased the game from Steam, because third party DRM wasn't included - at least according to the Steam store.

When I ran it, I discovered that it had solid shield DRM and forced Steam to give me a refund on it. I liked the game too, so everyone lost here. :ohwell:

I hope they don't mess around with people that have already bought it by pulling it off them or doing weird stuff with it. If they start doing so, then this will be the last that I buy on Steam - and I've spent hundreds on their platform.

It's a real shame about BF3 being pulled as well.
  11. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    its not steam im worried about there service is fine,

i refuse to have 6-7 download services that constantly need my attention and input so i can play there games

EA sucks
    there DRM sucks
    there downloader has drm
    there download service is slow as fuck the few times i was forced to use it.

now i cant get BF3 from steam ? fuck you EA, i use steam for all my games even non steam games, you just made damn sure i dont buy any future titles from you.
    theoneandonlymrk and qubit say thanks.
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, from what I understand, if th game is available on any other download server then Valve will not allow the game to be available on Steam.

Seems like a shitty way to handle things.

It seems to me it is a Steam issue, and has damn sure made sure that I'm not buying anything through Steam again.
    crazyeyesreaper says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    No shit, don't hold back! :toast: Love it.
  14. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate the point you made

but i dont use Direct 2 drive
    i dont use Impulse
    i dont use anything other then steam

its simple its easy has good deals, community features allows game mods, hosts screenshots, etc, i wont go anywhere else for games so if its not on steam i wont buy it. Ill just resort to other means to play those games.
  15. erocker

Thanks Received:
    If you want to check out Origin: http://www.origin.com/download

It seems to have a smaller footprint than Steam. Works a lot like Steam. I don't mind it and it really makes no difference to me what I use. When I'm done playing a game on Origin I shut it down.
  16. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Wait what happened to being able to choose where I got my game from?

Is this Steam being Greedy trying to monopolize or EA?
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Steam is getting very big now and is doing an Apple with its control freakery. :nutkick: This is what happens when any one company starts to monopolize a market. :shadedshu
  18. rpsgc

rpsgc

Thanks Received:
    You don't need Origin running to play any game (unless you want the in-game overlay?).
  19. erocker

Thanks Received:
    No you don't. I was speaking more in terms of having the "friends list" and things like that to hook up with others to play a game.
  20. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Meh i will buy a hard copy of bf3 as far as crysis 2 go's its for the better anyway no one should pay $60 for a broken game full of cheaters and bugs.
    I wish steam would impose a policy against bullshit games, along the lines of " we tested the game and it was not up to Steam's quality control standards for _______________ reasons.
  21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    whats gone wrong with pc software, im amazed they have the cheek to make us jump thru such hoops to buy so few games each year, its not like their churning out games these days it il take ea ten years to get 10 pages of games it only sells the dicks, i will say in their favour, their online instant assist service absolutely pissses on steams ignore you for a week customer service , ive 12 games on steam and 2 through ea.

and as for a previouse post ea wont let me tie crysis 1 to my account or a gr8 many other ea games,why not i do not know, again what does it matter ive a legit copy let me dl it into said ea games list - bit shit but then so is steamid go box copy only but no one sells em and id have tto dl half the game thru steam or origay anyway.
  22. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Also another reason not to use EA downloader stuff,
    I remember when 2142 was on there dl service EA imposed a time limit on how long you would be able to re download and install the game,
    something like 2 yr's or something then you would have to buy it again if you needed to reinstall.
    It was hidden in the License agreement.
  23. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Well, unfortunately this isn't totally unreasonable. When you buy a game off Steam, you pay them for their infrastructure/overheads, bandwidth and profits. By buying it on a different platform, you've given them nothing, so they don't owe you anything.

In some cases you can tie the game to Steam. This likely because they've done a deal with the software house, where they got paid a fee for this.

That seriously sucks - I'll stear clear. Thanks for letting us know.
  24. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    That's crazy talk. Amazon has a damn near perfect system for selling games, unlike their books. Once you buy it, you wouldn't even know it came from there. No interface, period. Just like installing from a disk.
  25. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Mailman is gonna shit a brick.