1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crysis 3 "Cause and Effect"

Discussion in 'Games' started by Crap Daddy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    natr0n, NHKS and Jegergrim say thanks.
  2. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Looks like just a similar scene shown before, but in reverse. Seems they're kinda copying ideas from the Dead Island trailer now. :rolleyes:

4. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crap Daddy says thanks.
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    If its anything like Crysis 2 Ill wait for....

CRYSIS 3: MAXIMUM $5 DOLLAR EDITION.

6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yea I have to agree with you, I didn't like crysis 2 and crysis 1 was OK once I had the hardware to play it like it should be played and even then it got old quick. Warhead was stupid and I believe I wasted the time to even beat it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Damn, that vid buffered badly even at 480p. The Typhoon reminds me of the Venom in RTCW, real shredder.
    You mean MAXIMUM LAME?

I still defend Crytek for their diligence on graphics, even in this make everything playable on console era they manage to put out some pretty good stuff, and they've always made a lot of easy to use cvars and have some of the best editors. They do some things WAY better than Ubi is on Far Cry 3 regarding graphics. That said, quality of gameplay counts for a lot too, and there CryTek have been slipping with each title they put out.

8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully the MaLDoHD retex arrives before Crysis 4, or better yet hopefully it's not needed at all.

9. Depth

Thanks Received:
    He found another Typhoon at 2:25 next to a soldier, as if he was using it. How do you fire 500 rounds per second and not be launched into the air by the recoil?

That force has to go somewhere. Into the nanosuit, sure, that works, but he took the gun out of a soldiers hand. What gives?

10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Expecting realism from a Crysis game is a lost cause. Obviously they want you to get wrapped up in the devastation the weapon can dish out without thinking whether it's practical or not.

IMO it's not just the recoil, it's the fact that it's spraying tons of rounds with no place big enough to carry them. Let's assume there's an advanced version of the anti recoil device in the Kriss Super V made for such a weapon, you'd still have to be able to store that massive amount of ammo somewhere.

Games with lots of sci fi to them are always a matter of suspending disbelief, sometimes through the entire campaign.

11. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Shame. Once I notice these "details" I can never get them off my mind, completely ruins immersion

0:40, the rounds are stored and propelled from the "magazine" he's seen inserting at 1:13, but it's giving way too long bursts of fire for it to be 500 rounds per second from that thing

World's fastest gun! 36 Barrels! - YouTube

The second burst in that video is 30000 RPM. Divided by 60 gives 500 rounds per second. Way to over-hype things, Crytek

12. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    You expect realism in video games? How adorable.

13. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Probably been playing DCS too much but I half way expected the game developers to atleast try

The grim badass voice talking about this awesome gun like it was Discovery Channel is exactly what stimulates the CoD-centre of the brain. It's insulting.

Wow! Firepower! Lets blow stuff up!

14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I noticed the clip swap, as I'm sure many probably did, but most games are more for escapism than realism. The rational realists might be annoyed by that, but the ironic thing is, it's irrational to expect video games to be realistic, unless they are made to be a complete simulation. Why would someone that's overly rational to the point of being bothered by such things even want to play such games? Another irrationality, it cuts both ways I'm afraid.

OK, how about this. Crysuit equipped warrior grabs a huge hunk of metal and thrusts it upward, as nanites swarm it and turn it into a whirlwind that allows the nanites in the gun to continuously turn it into bullets. On the one hand, you could argue that nanites can do amazing things, on the other, most would probably think that scenario even LESS believable, even though it kinda fits the "Typhoon" moniker.

Point being, games are made for fun first, reality second. Trying to find ways to explain everything in the sci fi ones only makes them worse sometimes. Even Gene Roddenberry, as imaginative as he was, would struggle to explain away many of the things in video games.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  15. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Don't get me wrong, between the Ceph, Cell, the nanosuit and all the sci-fi in between, I love the series. I'll make no attempt to rationalize away any of the core concepts but this is a promotional gun.

"Here is a hand-held 30000 RPM projectile weapon. Enjoy."

It needs more explanation, just seems so extremely shallow to superpower conventional weaponry. Everything else is immersive simply by being science fiction but in this case they ignored the laws of physics to make a projectile version of the BFG9000

I'm oddly butthurt over this.

16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I kinda like at least the guns to make tactical sense. Funny I was just thinking Big F*cking Gun too before I read you say that, except this is like a BFG in an SMG package.

I think I'd have preferred something similar to the Nano Rifle in RGF, but with CryTek's own unique effects. Maybe a high powered round from a shotgun type weapon that can disintegrate a good part of a body, but not all of it. Kinda like the limb severing of Dead Space, only with nanites.

It would also make sense that the robotic armor of cephalopod type creatures would protect their head and torso more than their robotic arms and legs, and make for good effects having them destroyed as they spark and crawl toward you.