1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crysis 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by HammerON, Feb 18, 2013.

1. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    It's the way he phrases it...Like it is limited to 4.5ghz. It gains more % wise for the same speed I would wager a bet if he retested at 5ghz it would perform better than the ivy at 4.5ghz which is a little more standard for those.

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. Im still enjoying it though. Maybe they will update it to get rid of some of the walls :D

3. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea where everyone is saying the game is short. I have close to 5 hours in the game already, and I am only on the 3rd mission out of 7 haha.

4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    About 5.5 hours MP and 5.5 hours SP...
    I think I am on the third mission is SP.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Just under 8 hours on veteran. Really enjoyed it. It was linear but in a very wide corridor to explore kinda linear, so very acceptable for me. Liked the ending, didn't care it wasn't that hard (once you knew what to do).

Will uninstall and maybe come back to it again in a few months, try it with hand to hand only or something.

As for the ending..

I think Crysis 4 could be a peaceful farming sim on that tropical island with Lawrence Barnes trying to keep on top of gophers, lizards and poor soil conditions. He could use his new nano spade and his nano tractor to make it all good.

PHaS3 and grunt_408 say thanks.
  6. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Well it's optimized to run badly; Crytek CEO warned that it would melt our computers, so it's tough to run, that's what many wished.
    I write this from a pool of two melted GTX 480's and an overclock i7 3820 at 4.625 mhz :laugh:

7. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this game, it's a solid FPS and there's so many weapons it's crazy, I've probably played SP for over 4 hrs, I really hope the game doesn't end soon, as I'm having a lot of fun playing it, the story's a little far fetched but I really love how Psycho has been portrayed so far, he's the star of the game IMO

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    PHaS3 says thanks.
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Anyone try messing with FOV yet? Going from 55 to 60 took off 5 fps.

9. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Really? the hell!?

10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Guess that's the real reason why consoles have shitty FOV. Going lower gave me a huge boost.

11. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    typical with games "supposingly" optimized for PC (actually another console port). I know crysis 3 looks pretty good and all, but it's obvious it has the same problems other console ports have...

Shadows being rendered by the CPU, FOV affecting the FPS a lot because increasing FOV means you can see more objects to load (which guess what?: are rendered by the CPU instead of the GPU) and while you'd think crysis 3 is well optimized because your GPU usage might be high, that's only because they've arranged for some eye candy to eat your GPU (like AA and Post processing and Game effects)... Your GPU is not being used to its full potential...

And if it was, everybody here would have higher FPS in crysis 3, and NOBODY would feel the need to buy a Better Graphics card and that's exactly what they want people to think: "oooh Crysis 3 is a monster, it will eat your PC, you Need better hardware..." lol

that is the reason I'm stuck having to fiddle around, tweaking all the settings, tryin all the tricks I know to keep as much eye candy as I can while staying @ a solid 60fps

Kast says thanks.
  12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Really......................................tell me more about the obvious

I think its been pretty aware in the last few years that our hardware isn't being used at its fullest, regardless of game. We have the hardware to do a lot more, its the developers that are putting the time or willing to do so.

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Just a little trivia on the FOV. According to the Cvar Configurator the CryTek guy from the UK made for the game, that default 60 FOV you're seeing on a 16:9 aspect ratio is actually 60 vertical and 90 horizontal.

14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I found the default by typing the command into the console without a number. That's how you find the default for all the settings. The default is 55 in that case, and the max is 80. I've found that cvar configurator to be a little buggy.

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    LOL, so you're telling me you know more about Crysis 3 FOV values than a CryTek UK staff merely for using the command console that THEY made? It makes sense that the field of view vertically would be much narrower than the horizontal FOV. They just happen to go by the vert one for some reason.

That's all you're seeing in the console is the vert FOV, not the horizontal. I'm not saying everything CryTek does makes sense, but I trust the guy that made that config tool knows a lot more about how they designate their commands for this game than you.

16. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    It's very simple to confirm his config is incorrect. His config uses the line cl_fov, to which he applied a default value of 60, that exact same line in the console entered into the console spits out a default value of 55. He did not code this element of the game and he's admitted he's been doing trial and error to figure this out just like us. I can't even get his config to apply some of the settings it supposedly controls. You'll get far better results taking things into your own hands and experimenting. A good place to start is MaLDo's configs. I don't like his configurations but it exposes a lot more values to play with than what's in that cvar configurator.

17. HammerON

Thanks Received:

This worked:toast:
    While playing I Alt-Tab out and then back into the game:
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Which is your voltage on gpuz and hwmonitor? Mine is different depending on the software; is this common with the 7970?

19. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    I will check later. I am off to bed:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Not into this, it's too poor of a port, I have to buy another 480 just to play it. Or a titan. Good lord. Back to world of tanks for me.....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  21. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    You still haven't? :D
    I just got an HD 7970 and it's as fast as my two GTX 480's

22. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Another configurator error - the GIcache level actually changes based on the setting level. For very high it's set to zero. Changing it to 7 got me a 2-6 fps increase depending on the spot and I was unable to see the difference (so far.) My config based on the very high starting values:

No visible difference but performance increased:
    e_GICache = 7 (from 0)

Visible increase but no or miniscule cost:
    e_lodratio = 500 (from 40)
    e_viewdistratiovegetation = 500 (from 100)

Visible increase but performance cost:
    e_MergedMeshesInstanceDist = 100

Personal preference:
    r_ChromaticAberration = 0.0

Given the small number of tweaks you'd think I'd just started, but no. So many options are locked or at optimum values already there's just not as much to play with as in past games.

Edit*
    I've been investigating tessellation settings. So far there's only a handful of objects in the entire game this is applied to. A tree and a shrub is all I've been able to confirm. You can turn it off and on using the distance setting e_TessellationMaxDistance and changing it to 0 or anything else. I say mid-range is best, a 20-30 value. Looks good on shrubs up close, but it's bugged on the trees so at the least you can make it not applied to the distant trees. Example of what I mean. You can see the trunk might look better but it eats the vine texture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  23. RoboX

Thanks Received:
    I have a I7 920, I read that this game has better performance by enabling the HT, but if I do that the game only uses 4 threads and the other 4 are not used for anything do you know if there is a way to turn all the threads and if I draw really benefits?

24. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Is the multiplayer on this game going to survive? I know that Crysis 2 Multiplayer was fairly dead after less than a year and I am really hoping Crysis 3 has what it takes to stick around.

25. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    This is a bench and tweak simulator not a game, much less a MP game, as one can easily deduce from this thread :)