1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3 Sales 'Tank'

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Dec 17, 2007.

1. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    UT3 is great but it was released awhile before I got it as for crysis only reason I have it was it was free with my video card and not sure its worth infecting my pc with vista just to see the wonders of dx10

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally I am uber geeked that EA took this one right in the backside. They had to have spent tons on promoting Crysis and developing and the like. Just makes me sooooo happy to see them fall flat on their faces after all the crap they pushed up to this point failing , and the lack of respect they showed their customers when issues occured.

Personally I almost think not only is it due to the hardware requirements , but it may have a lot to do with previously unsatisfied customers!

3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It does, if you perform the Korean trick.

4. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sounds dirty :eek:

5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    UT3: Awesome Game
    Crysis: Awesome Game
    Halo 3: Less than average in my book.

My 2 cents. :cool:

6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    DaMulta, just curious...you don't have a multi-GPU setup why not buy it anyway?

7. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:

I've got 2 GB of ram, Vista, 2900XT, and a Q6600. When playing the game there was always ~600MB of free space in my RAM. It rarely ever sent a single core to 75% use. It's like the entire game was trying to run using only my video card. Seems to me like it's not optimized.

8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    No wonder the UT3 servers are bare, I can usually find maybe 3 or 4 CTF servers. It's really sad too since UT3 is a really nice game.

9. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean that i don't have a multi gpu setup?

I have 2 2900xt 1GB cards.....with a quad.

I will wait for a patch/driver(Painless driver)before I buy the game.

10. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    You would think that the cheaper hardware prices of the 3000 series and 8800GT series would help sales of the newest games.

I would agree that people are prob. worried about having crappy game play on the newest games that deserve/are worthy of a decent video card, like CoD4, Crysis, imo.

Well there is always The Orange Box. It will run on a DX8 system. That is a great choice :toast: for people without tomorrows hardware in their rigs. I bet sales on it are crushing the other titles.

11. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your CPU or the ram can't do the job of the GPU, they do their own job (AI, physics). The fact that both have free space confirms the game is well optimized (as it is doing his job with much less resources): the game is bottlenecked in the GPU because its graphics are so f****g good. It runs above 20fps on medium (textures, objects and shaders on high) on my computer, and it looks better than anything else at these settings, so yeah, this is what I call a good optimized game.

EDIT: I remember that when Doom3 was released lots of people said the same about that game and the engine. And how much better HL2 and Source were. Time has told another story.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  12. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    this really is unsurprising. i wonder if sales of COD4 surprised anyone. now that is a fun game!

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup every time I log on a server its has 1 or 2 punks running cheats Not real fun

14. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    i'll tell you why they didn't sell well:
    PIRATES!
    [​IMG]

effmaster, AsRock and Ravenas say thanks.
  15. XooM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember when HL2 and CS:S came out? How they had support for even DirectX 7 machines? Remember how it sold ludicrously well?
    Well, crysis and UT3 look and handle like shit on anything short of a *really* good machine. my 3800x2 and 8600GTS chug playing both of them with modest settings. Gosh, i wonder why nobody buys them.
    Oh, yeah, and the part that actually matters... like... good gameplay... i didn't happen to notice it, but maybe that was the lag.

16. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    I have Crysis and i also have a 8600GT it runs great i can run on high with a/30fps and medium w/60fps its also a great game, I also have UT3 and the gameplay is the same al older but multiplayer is still a blast so the only reason the sales tanked is because a lot of people probley downloaded them.

17. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's because we're all stealing it? Well, not me.. Crysis is the only game I'm going to buy.

18. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    i think the reason ut3 did so badly is that even the pirated versions can play online, and who wants to play crysis online? not me, unless there's a TON of people in the game...

19. Lopez0101

Thanks Received:
    Far Cry and Crysis were one of the few games I've actually bought in the past few years. Before that it was Supreme Commander. Though I have bought quite a few games in the past. Not much worth buying these days for full price. Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on CoD4.

20. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  21. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Not really. An older and properly tweaked machine can run Crysis easy. All this Crysis hardware talk is just self-ego-stroking by people who just dropped $3000-$4000 or more on a brand new ultra l33t supa-dupa system just to play games like Crysis, yet they see people with $300 boxes doing that just fine. At least that's the case here on TPU forums. There are maybe two or three threads I can recall where someone with a really, REALLY, old and inadequate system was complaining about Crysis. Myself I don't play Crysis because it's pretty much Far Cry 2.0. It's graphics are hyped and overrated, much like it was the case with Far Cry. Also, who needs another FPS? Right now, bulk of games released are either FPS or generic fantasy MMORPGs. Somebody change the tune already.

22. sam0t New Member

Thanks Received:
    I admit it, have not read the previous comments, but want to say it anyways:

Maybe this will finally wake up some of the PC game developers/studios. Its not only the graphics that sell, you actually need a good game. For example, many have touted that the old classic RPG genre is dead and buried and there is no way a RPG can sell these days? Fortunately we have games like The Witcher which has shipped (not sold yet) over 1 million copies to stores already and still going strong.

23. D.F. New Member

Thanks Received:

If you say that is all about ego and that everyone on tpu forums are egomaniacs without any real argument to back it up, then I could say yours is just resentment for not being able to play any new game at more than medium-low directx8 settings with that radeon x850xt. In fact, for the way you complain, it seems you need to believe there aren't any good games coming out right now cause you can't play them as you would like to play them.
    And when you said that an older machine can run Crysis easily, you should have said "easily without any of it's technological glory", and that technology is not to be seen as if it didn't add anything to the game, on the contrary, it adds a lot. Of course a game it's not only it's technology, but it's an important part of it. for example, I loved doom3 although I think it's a terrible game, but it was technologicaly so amazing that I couldn't help loving it. It can happen the other way around too, an amazing game with terrible graphics. But the truth is technology and the other aspects of games go hand by hand, and this should not be dismissed.

24. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I woudnt even try to run Crysis on me laptop but ut3 might be ok on 1024 x 768 med detail :cool:

25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    on UT3 Front, DUH! The game is primarily a Deathmatch sport game, if you want a storyline Play Unreal. Crysis didnt sale too well due to the demand of a System,