1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crytek is toast.....Halted Working On Homefront: The Revolution

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Jul 4, 2014.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    After the many bankruptcy rumors now there are reports that Crytek's UK studio has stopped working on Homefront: The Revolution as its employees have not been paid yet. New developments point to more trouble ahead. Over the past two days, Journalists have spoken with four people connected to Crytek's UK studio, which is currently developing Homefront: The Revolution.

According to those people, Crytek's UK staff have still not been paid the full amounts they are owed, and this week, according to two sources, the staff at Crytek's UK office handed in formal grievance letters and went home.

One person familiar with the studio estimates that around 100 people have left, though it's unclear how many people plan to leave permanently and how many would like to stay with Crytek UK, which has been consistently losing staff for the past few months.

Rumor around the studio is that Crytek and Homefront publisher Deep Silver are currently negotiating over what will happen next. Employees at Crytek UK, which is based in Nottingham, are hoping that Deep Silver will purchase the studio and continue funding development of Homefront: The Revolution, according to two people connected to the company.

[​IMG]

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/crytek_halted_working_on_homefront_the_revolution.html
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    This has been going on for months, but each time it's reported Crytek have refused to comment saying it's all rumour. Probably is true, they're going straight to hell, which is a shame.
  3. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Damnit I wanted to play this game.
  4. Tallencor

Tallencor

Thanks Received:
    Wow. What does it take for a developer to say alive these days! ( Statement more than actual question)
  5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Don't make an awesome tech demo PC game and then progressively make it more and more linear and consolised. Also don't bring in a guy as Lead who has no experience in the game industry and expect him to be able to manage anything properly.

Also WarFace... I mean seriously.

I apologise in advance for answering your statement :laugh:
    lilhasselhoffer and 64K say thanks.
  6. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought this was canceled due to piracy?... ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I guss this is quite a Crysis ...
    seriously after the bastardization that was crysis 2 and crysis 3
    and the terrible idea called warface/gface/whateverface
    they can burn in hell for all I care nothing of value will be lost
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    digibucc, Frogger, mafia97 and 4 others say thanks.
  8. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure someone will buy the tech. We'll see it again
  9. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    this is only crytek UK we are talking about not the people behind crysis 1
  10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    That is called a rhetorical question. /class dismissed
    a_ump and yogurt_21 say thanks.
  11. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I hope Deep Silver buys them out completely.

Imagine a Saints Row game on Cryengine......... IMAGINE
  12. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    no just no saintsrow was buggy enough as it was .... deepsilver are noobs
    AsRock says thanks.
  13. TheinsanegamerN

Thanks Received:
    ummm...deepsilver didnt MAKE the game, they just published it. VOLITION made the game. The major bugs were performance issues, mostly caused by THQ rushing the game in an attempt to make money. srIV didnt have the performance issues of sr III, and seemed relatively bug free for a modern game. especially given that it was shuffled between publishers during development, its amazing it came out as well as it did.
    pr0n Inspector says thanks.
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Im worried about cryengine on linux most, not the games. Its a good engine.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Crytek UK is just a bankrupt studio purchased by Crytek(the German company) a few years back, though Crytek is probably expanding too fast and doesn't have the revenue to keep up.
  16. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Publish independently.
    remixedcat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    It is a Shame imho.
  18. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Another rumor...

"But Crytek may have secured investment and thus its future - in the short term at least. The GameStar report mentions a potential buyout by World of Tanks maker Wargaming, but Eurogamer has heard investment from a Chinese firm may have been tabled."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-23-crysis-developer-crytek-claims-bankrupt-report-is-false

Alas, but rumors are just rumors. Let's wait and see what actually happens. It seems not much good happens to those whom start playing the piracy blame game though. I can only hope the same for those whom play the PC graphics dumb down game to appease the console industry. Yeah I'm talkin bout YOU Ubi.
    64K says thanks.
  19. 64K

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, a lot of publishers blame piracy for lack of support for PC.

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli says that's why they stopped making PC exclusives and embraced the console market saying that for every 1 game bought 20 are pirated.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/crytek_ceo_bemoans_software_piracy_claims_201_ratio

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot claimed that 93% to 95% of us PC gamers are pirates.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ub...ent-piracy-rate-on-its-pc-games/1100-6392939/

Former Epic Games CEO Mike Capps claimed that piracy is why they shifted their focus to consoles.

http://www.techspot.com/news/38997-epic-games-blames-piracy-for-its-focus-on-consoles.html

The thing is that some of the pirating is done by people that can afford to buy the games. They just don't want to pay when they can get the games for free. I used to work with a guy that did that and he made a heck of a lot of money. He could easily have paid for the games he wanted. He knew others that pirated also that could have paid. I have seen people on gaming sites say they pirate the games because publishers are greedy and don't deserve their money for the low quality of games they sell. Some pirate the game to give it a try and buy it if it's not shit. My opinion though is that the vast majority of the pirating is done by people that cannot afford to buy the games or don't really care that much about gaming to begin with so they wouldn't buy the games anyway. Whatever percentage the publishers use to excuse their use of DRM (which is ineffective anyway) or shifting their focus to consoles. It's not all lost sales.

Edit: I cited the wrong article for Crytek's reason for stopping PC exclusives. Here's the correct one.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2008/04/30/crytek-no-longer-pc-exclusive/1
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    GhostRyder says thanks.
  20. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Really was excited for this game
  21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Look, the higher quality games that would come out for a lower price less people would pirate. Lots of these dev studios locate in some of the most expensive areas of the world to live and that makes the price of hiring the devs more expensive, etc... hell this dya and age there's less and less need for offices so that would be even less overhead. I've worked with game/software companies that were officeless and launches went smooth and nothing leaked and QC was kept tight.

This is a real Crysis here. :(
    Guitarrassdeamor and RCoon say thanks.
  22. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it seems it's kinda ruining gaming that it's become the biggest grossing entertainment industry. Lots of devs are becoming spoiled by it and expecting high wages for mediocre product.

Look at 4A, they had crap working conditions making Last Light, going many days without heat, using card tables and folding chairs, even smuggling in content after field trips. Yet they still put out one of the best games of the year. These guys are the blue collar heroes of gaming right now.
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yawn.

somebody buy the timesplitters ip.
  24. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  25. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Crysis 2 and 3(own the both never finished either) never really impressed me but I really am/was looking forward to the new Homefront.