1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ctrl Alt Del, Vista

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dangle, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista is the best windows OS. If you disagree, it's probably because you haven't noticed that when a program does crash, the task manager always takes precedence over other programs. This is probably why the OS uses more resources, but it runs great on 2gb of ram. Ctrl Alt Del always works, and always closes the crashed program. I've never had to restart my computer because of a crashed program. Also, you don't have to wait for more than a second or two for the task manager to show up - even if you're in a game! The only thing that sux about vista is the User Account Control that's enabled by default.

2. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is usully true... Windows Vista is good at closing crashed apps before they take down the whole PC and it'll even restart some apps for you. The only time I've had issues with stuff locking up the machine is when using buggy drivers. Think back to ME... It was plauged by bad drivers and old drivers more than anything else, much like how Vista is.

3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    This is actually pretty cool I never knew that

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had to do a hard restart before. Most of the time it is good about ending the program causing problems though.

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The only time I've had to hard-restart is after a driver crash. An app has never locked up Vista on me.

6. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same here... the only 'app' lock up I had was related to a driver (sound card).

7. pagalms

pagalms

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Vista is great. I've got only 4 BSOD's since install (2 of them caused by ALt+F4 exit from GRID what resulted with video driver crash and 2 because too low RAM voltage). :)

8. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    It's great, but it took me ages to find out the shortcut to task manager is ctrl+shift+esc. Kept going to task manager via the blue and green logon type screen. Never going back to XP!

Dangle says thanks.
  9. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i gotta agree when some of my games or apps crash task manager can always be launched from my experience in xp i had to always restart

10. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    so why are people still hating on vista? I hated on it until I got a copy of it and installed it... It is a bit slower than XP at a few things, but Windows 2000 was faster than XP and so and on so forth...
    My only gripe is that audio stutters occasionally (on several sound cards), but that's why I use XP for audio production.

11. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    What is the point of your statement? What you're basically saying "Vista rocks and if you disagree you're wrong" I fail to see a point that is open to discussion, something you wish to argue about or whatever.

"the task manager always takes precedence over other programs. This is probably why the OS uses more resources"
    That makes no sense.

Rebo&Zooty says thanks.
  12. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, it don't make sense, lmao... The OS isolating the applications to prevent a system lock-up would not make it 'slow', it would make it 'stable'.
    Most PCs I've seen Vista on are just slow machines.. 'Wal-Mart computers' if you will...
    But, with proper hardware and drivers, Vista is more stable than XP when it comes to applications crashing, imo.

13. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used Vista for ~year and went back to XP just a week ago and I can't tell any difference.

14. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Same thing happens on my XP x64 install, I fail to see the point in this thread except as a need for you to validate spending all that money on an OS which is not really that much better than XP or XP x64, it is better, just not by much.

Rebo&Zooty says thanks.
  15. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hold on, let me send you a virus (especially if you use AVG). ;) Then you'll see the difference between Windows Vista and XP.

No need for Ctrl+Alt+Del. That just brings up a crazy screen (with an option to select Task Manager). If you want Task Manager, just press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Shazam! :D

WarEagleAU says thanks.
  16. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Not true....I've had to restart my PC more times than I can count due to freezings etc where Task Manager NEVER pops up. Its all software related errors as well, nothing hardware related.

17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Not to start a argument but i am glad i did not buy it. How ever i do like it. BUT i find less programs load less issue's with XP x64.

As for SP1 one for vista is giving me more problems than i have ever had with XP x64. I would of been so depressed if i actually brought Vista. BUT i did not MS gave it me and better still it's a retail version too. It'l get better over time just like XP x64 did.

18. acperience7

Thanks Received:
    My sister just got a new inspiron laptop with Vista and for the short amount of time i used it, it was actually quite nice. I may install it on my desktop for my next reformatt just to really test it out since I basically got it for free. Doubt I'll keep though.

19. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    :eek:Woah! take it easy, Mary.

"the task manager always takes precedence over other programs. This is probably why the OS uses more resources" - A small amount of CPU and RAM resources are dedicated to the OS rather than giving 100% to the applications. This is the reason the task manager always loads up.

This is a thread for those of you who don't have Vista and bash the program. It's also an informative thread to those who do have Vista and haven't noticed the stability.

Thanks!!! I had no idea you could get to the task manager without going to that login screen first!!

20. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    My 2 complaints with Vista is the UAC and with 64bit you have to F8 into the menu to disable DSE just to get your unsigned drivers to work. I understand this is all to promote extra security though.

Off topic a bit, but I liked ME heaps more the 98(SE). 98 gave me WAY more grief then ME. Guess I just had my rig all polished and ME compliant. :roll:

21. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you use older outdated software try running them in Compatibility Mode. Windows Vista supports all prior OSes even back to Windows 95. Half of the space used by Vista after an initial install is all for compatibility.

I won't deny that there are applications that just won't work in Vista. That's why you get updates or new versions.

22. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, never really understood too much why people bash it. Well, people did it to XP, and went back to 98, etc. So I guess its just the tradition, lol.

In Vista, I have only had a few BSOD's. Most of them were caused by me, testing settings on RAM, etc, lol. One was a freak one. BSOD'ed when I Alt-Tabbed out of Halo 2, but its never happened again. :wtf:

But I am happy with Vista, and it runs great with 4gb of ram as well, lol.

23. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you remember what happened when OSX came out? None of Macs software worked, but people didn't complain about like they do with Vista.

I'll admit, when Vista first released, I had many issues, but that was mostly because NVidia or Creative didn't release Vista drivers until later. They were all unstable, old beta drivers. Now my PC runs better than any I've ever pwned.

I did get a red screen of death once tho. I ran Crysis demo at 1920x1200 Max graphics with 2900xt and a q6600. Bad idea. 1fps for a few min then.... BOOM~!

24. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's because nobody used Macs back then. :p

I agree. I just switched to Vista Business x64 (uses the same VLA license that my work's 32-bit Vista Business uses) and OMG I am blown away! Everything is quicker, everything just works and now I can live in relative glee that I don't have to worry as much about 32-bit viruses.

25. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    The whole Ctrl+Shift+Esc should be used to get that crazy screen with those options and Ctrl+Alt+Del should bring up TM.

KieranD and Dangle say thanks.